What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I usually cannot contribute to this thread as I live in Memphis where improvised music does not flourish.  But tonight I am going to see The Dopoloarians: William Parker (bass), Douglas Ewart (tenor saxophone), Chris Parker (piano, Kelley Hurt (voice), Chad Fowler (alto saxophone and saxello), Chad Anderson (percussion), and special guest Marc Franklin (trumpet).

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Tim Berne Quintet with Tony Malaby, Ryan Ferreira, Devin Hoff & Elliot Kavee

maybe we will stay for the second band which is Ben Monder, Gary Wang & Diego Voglino

at a place called Halyards in Brooklyn

I'll see anything with Tim Berne!

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

I'll see anything with Tim Berne!

Very fine group. Minor quibble for me is that Kavee is just not forceful or powerful enough for a band with a saxophonist as good as Berne or as great as Malaby.

A drummer like Ches Smith or Nasheet Waits or Tyshawn Sorey would have elevated this band to the stratosphere. Ferreira was awesome. His riffing/comping with the saxophonists was powerful, skronky and almost psychedelic. Berne had new written music that seemed to be presented for the first time to the group before the show. Tim knew the music by heart as he didn’t need sheet music for himself. 

6 compositions with improvisational elements organically incorporated into the written music. A couple of segues (maybe only one?) with the set lasting a beefy 75 minutes. Malaby only on tenor and he played towards his most beautiful side more than his piercing aggressive mode for the most part. There was one passage where he might have almost been Getz for a bit. Wondrous. Also tremendous unison playing with Berne's alto and Malaby’s tenor. Also one of the them comping or accenting the other. Seemingly rehearsed but I’d be shocked if this wasn’t the first time they played this music. In fact I think it’s the first time the band played together.

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Very fine group. Minor quibble for me is that Kavee is just not forceful or powerful enough for a band with a saxophonist as good as Berne or as great as Malaby.

A drummer like Ches Smith or Nasheet Waits or Tyshawn Sorey would have elevated this band to the stratosphere. Ferreira was awesome. His riffing/comping with the saxophonists was powerful, skronky and almost psychedelic. Berne had new written music that seemed to be presented for the first time to the group before the show. Tim knew the music by heart as he didn’t need sheet music for himself. 

6 compositions with improvisational elements organically incorporated into the written music. A couple of segues (maybe only one?) with the set lasting a beefy 75 minutes. Malaby only on tenor and he played towards his most beautiful side more than his piercing aggressive mode for the most part. There was one passage where he might have almost been Getz for a bit. Wondrous. Also tremendous unison playing with Berne's alto and Malaby’s tenor. Also one of the them comping or accenting the other. Seemingly rehearsed but I’d be shocked if this wasn’t the first time they played this music. In fact I think it’s the first time the band played together.

Sounds good!

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

Going to try to get here tonight. The Cookers are on the West Coast and have an off night, so this is happening:

Jazz legends David Weiss & Billy Harper

WEISS/HARPER 5tet
Billy Harper – tenor sax
David Weiss – trumpet
Matt Clark – piano
Lorca Hart – drums
John Wiitala – bass

Billy Hart's son!

Friday at Kennedy Center: Jason Moran trio with guests Cassandra Wilson and Marvin Sewell. Part of his 20th year celebration of Bandwagon. Expect a fair amount of Billie Holiday and Same Mother. Saturday at KC: National Symphony Orch performing Tchaikovsky violin concerto (Akiko Suwanai) and some Stravinsky. Will miss Charles Tolliver up in Baltimore.

4 hours ago, Patrick said:

Friday at Kennedy Center: Jason Moran trio with guests Cassandra Wilson and Marvin Sewell. Part of his 20th year celebration of Bandwagon. Expect a fair amount of Billie Holiday and Same Mother. Saturday at KC: National Symphony Orch performing Tchaikovsky violin concerto (Akiko Suwanai) and some Stravinsky. Will miss Charles Tolliver up in Baltimore.

My favourite singer with one of my favourite piano trios. I hope it's as good as it should be. 

5 hours ago, Patrick said:

Saw Cassandra and Jason together a few years ago at SFJAZZ. She talked about hiring him many years ago when he was just coming on the scene.