What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

My plans to see London Jazz Festival gigs from 13/11 for a week look about to be stymied by a (very belated) lockdown rumoured to start next week.

At least the LJF have programmed some interesting streams

Was/is the plan fit in person concerts? What kind of venue and what kind of protocols were being put in place?

for me I’m just not comfortable with any gatherings at all. I’m so grateful to be able to work from home and follow all distancing measures here in NJ in order to keep my wife and I safe.

28 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Was/is the plan fit in person concerts? What kind of venue and what kind of protocols were being put in place?

for me I’m just not comfortable with any gatherings at all. I’m so grateful to be able to work from home and follow all distancing measures here in NJ in order to keep my wife and I safe.

Yes, plan was two in person concerts. One at the Vortex the other at a concert hall venue. Vortex is seating 20 max socially distances and masked. Other venue also doing similar.

I've working from home too and not overly comfortable and have avoided large numbers. I've so far thought the risk factors were sufficiently mitigated for these concerts but infection rates have gone through the roof here recently so may well have revised the decision to attend. Lockdown will resolve that dilemma.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wasn't sure when I'd be able to.post in this thread again.   Tonight at Andy's in Chicago, Eric Schneider.  It's been a really nice show.  Casual and friendly.  The audience, perhaps ten people at the first set.  

I don't think I've been to Andy's since seeing Organissimo here.  

Will be back again Friday. 

Edited by BeBop

• 1 month later...

Vision Fest 25 in both downtown NYC & Brooklyn (7/22 through 7/31)

I’m moving that week but somehow I will see live music for the first time since March 2nd, 2020. All locals but some great ensembles including a David Murray Octet, Tony Malaby Quartet with Ben Monder, Michael Formanek & Tom Rainey, Whit Dickey trio with Rob Brown & Mat Maneri & an amazing Joe McPhee Octet !!!!

7 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Vision Fest 25 in both downtown NYC & Brooklyn (7/22 through 7/31)

I’m moving that week but somehow I will see live music for the first time since March 2nd, 2020. All locals but some great ensembles including a David Murray Octet, Tony Malaby Quartet with Ben Monder, Michael Formanek & Tom Rainey, Whit Dickey trio with Rob Brown & Mat Maneri & an amazing Joe McPhee Octet !!!!

Sounds great.  I think Vision are streaming their concerts this year again, I enjoyed several this way last year, so I may well join you for some, virtually

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Chicago for a few weeks. Just arrived on Saturday.

Last night, I caught the Corey Wilkes Quartet at the Jazz Showcase.  Phew!  Glad I went.  The band was outstanding.  And it was so good to finally be hearing LIVE music again. 

The rhythm section consisted of Justin Dillard (p) and Junius Paul (b).  I didn't catch the drummer's name.  But, after poking around on the Web this morning, I'm 99% sure that it was Jeremy "Bean" Clemons.  

Looking forward to seeing & hearing more shows in the coming weeks.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight live and in person from the front table 

Capricorn Climber which is:

Kris Davis: grand piano

Trevor Dunn: double bass

Ingrid Laubrock: tenor & soprano saxophones

Mat Maneri: viola

Tom Rainey: drums

7:30 & 9:30 sets 

jazz gallery in NYC

it's time for the other clubs/venues to open - I’m hoping they ask for proof of vaccination but I’m thrilled to see the great ensemble live no matter what - I’ve seen them twice 6-7 years ago and if all the modes and vibrations line up, they can be spectacular. Mat is, of course, the linch pin to the whole thing.

Get Ready to Receive Yourself 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

22 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

jazz gallery in NYC

it's time for the other clubs/venues to open - I’m hoping they ask for proof of vaccination but I’m thrilled to see the great ensemble live no matter what - I’ve seen them twice 6-7 years ago and if all the modes and vibrations line up, they can be spectacular. Mat is, of course, the linch pin to the whole thing.

Wish I could see that show!

Have fun! :g

On 6/25/2021 at 10:59 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

jazz gallery in NYC

Get Ready to Receive Yourself 

Concert was incredible - fully attended both sets. No mask requirement. Band was highly inspired being their first show in 15 months in front of a live audience. Kris was VERY emotional after the end of each set while introducing the band.

Tom Rainey blew the roof off the place. First 10 minutes second set all-timer. Rainey even smiled. He remains as great a jazz drummer as exists in this world. Certainly the most dynamic and most cliche free dude I know of.

first set fully improvised as they ignored the charts. Second half of second set they tried out some/a couple of Kris Davis’ new material for the group. As expected Mat Maneri was magical serving the band and Ingrid has never sounded better and for me I’m happy she only brought her tenor sax. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

16 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Concert was incredible - fully attended both sets. No mask requirement. Band was highly inspired being their first show in 15 months in front of a live audience. Kris was VERY emotional after the end of each set while introducing the band.

Tom Rainey blew the roof off the place. First 10 minutes second set all-timer. Rainey even smiled. He remains as great a jazz drummer as exists in this world. Certainly the most dynamic and most cliche free dude I know of.

first set fully improvised as they ignored the charts. Second half of second set they tried out some/a couple of Kris Davis’ new material for the group. As expected Mat Maneri was magical serving the band and Ingrid has never sounded better and for me I’m happy she only brought her tenor sax. 

I wanted to stream that, but before the show it didn't look like that was an option. The next day I saw it, but it was only available for 24 hours and I didn't have time watch.

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

I wanted to stream that, but before the show it didn't look like that was an option. The next day I saw it, but it was only available for 24 hours and I didn't have time watch.

They specifically said they are not streaming the Friday & Saturday night shows. It was recorded and a video was made but not by the jazz gallery. 

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

Huh. Interesting.

Hopefully the rest of the venues will start re-opening soon. Right now it seems most are targeting September. I don’t see any additional wave of COVID here as the numbers are low and the vaccination rates are high and still adding to the % of population albeit slowly.

We saw Kenny Barron in bucolic Mt. Gretna PA on the 20th. He was in excellent form despite some sound issues. He was accompanied by a Japanese bassist and Jonathan Blake on percussion.  Frankly, I would have rather seen a solo performance given how well he was playing. Nice to see live jazz again.

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

I am not going to see Tomorrow's Warriors/ Nu Civilisation Orchestra at Kings Place London tonight as it has been cancelled today due to one of the band testing positive for COVID. To be rescheduled according to the box office. This was due to be a tribute to Joe Harriott, so this brings to a sorry end my Joe Harriott weekend - the play we were due to see yesterday at the Hampstead Theatre, the Death of a Black Man, supposedly based on Joe Harriott, was also cancelled, due to the injury of a cast member. These were our first two post-lockdown cultural events. Under Milk Wood (the play not the Tracey music) in a fortnight's time, fingers crossed. 

Anthony

London

Sorry to hear that.  I was very tempted to buy a ticket for Nu-Civilisation this evening but life got in the way.  I may even make the rescheduled date (just listening to Nathaniel facey now, he's a very fine player and I'd love to hear him play Harriott) I didn't know about the play at Hampstead.

You were lucky to get the NT tickets, I hear they went in a flash.

19 hours ago, rostasi said:

Still amazed that anybody is even trying to do any
of the socializing things done before March 2020.

Vaccination rates are high here in the northeast near and around NYC and COVID cases are very low - for a double vaccinated person like myself it isn’t risky at all. I’m wondering why more local venues are not opening. I’m pretty sure by September the vast majority will be hopefully including the Village Vanguard and The Stone @ The New School. Major sporting events and concerts have been held at Madison Square Garden and other arenas at full capacity for almost 2 months and no increase in COVID cases have occurred. In fact COVID cases since 5/25 have decreased by a factor of 4 - no doubt due to the vaccine. 

I’m thrilled to be back fully integrated into society. It’s even more sweet knowing my wife and I were extremely cautious following all protocols. Living in Wayne, NJ (on the border of Bergen County, NY), we lived in the highest COVID infected region in the world last Spring.