What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Garrick played very well -- a 90 minute program with no intermission. Two capriccios op 97, the Op. 118 pieces (favorites of mine), two ballades, variations and fugue on a theme of Handel, and maybe I'm forgetting something. All played from memory.

I would've loved to see/hear that recital. :tup

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Saw Nu Civilisation Orchestra at Kings Place London last night playing arrangements of Joe Harriott material, mostly from Free Form and Abstract I think. Quite a revelation to hear a large ensemble rip through Harriott's tricky themes, Nathaniel Facey took the lead on alto and was superb. Also praise to the bass player Hamish Moore and Rod Young who really held it all together and the incredibly young looking Peter Edwards on piano who I think arranged the tunes. Interesting guest appearance from a tap dancer, didn't catch her name, who did an amazing performance of Oleo with Facey and the rhythm section. Good to hear some live music and this really young band were inspirational and it would be a waste if they didn't record these arrangements.

Anthony

London

That sounds like a good night. I have tickets for their "What's Going On" tribute in November.

Saw Branford come out and play a couple of  songs with Dave Matthews (yeah, I know) which was totally unexpected. Show was this past Friday in Raleigh. Branford lives, at least part time, in Durham so I'm guessing Dave hit him up to come out and jam a bit. Sound wasn't good at all at the amphitheater, esp in the cheap seats. But he got a good reception from the crowd before, during and after playing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I saw my first live jazz in over a year plus on August 12 in Chattanooga.

Pianist Keith Brown (Donald's son) led a trio with brother Kenneth on drums and a bassist from Knoxville (Cliff ?). A lot of the songs were on Keith's third Space Time CD African Ripples. Like his father, he's got plenty of chops and he is a strong composer.

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 3 weeks later...

Been here at the Vail (Colorado) Jazz Party for the past five days. Wonderful hearing live jazz for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. Among those I have been hearing/seeing.

John Clayton

Lewis Nash,

Bill Cunliffe

Dick Oatts,

Wycliffe Gordon

Emmett Cohen

Jeff Hamilton

Tamir Hendelman

Joel Frahm

Jon Chin

Alphonso Horne

Lucy Yeghiarzaryan

Adrian Cunningham

Terell Stafford

Bobby Floyd

Byron Stripling

and many others.

Edited by Peter Friedman

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Been here at the Vail (Colorado) Jazz Party for the past five days. Wonderful hearing live jazz for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. Among those I have been hearing/seeing.

John Clayton

Lewis Nash,

Bill Cunliffe

Dick Oatts,

Wycliffe Gordon

Emmett Cohen

Jeff Hamilton

Tamir Hendelman

Joel Frahm

Jon Chin

Alphonso Horne

Lucy Yeghiarzaryan

Adrian Cunningham

Terell Stafford

Bobby Floyd

Byron Stripling

and many others.

Very happy you are able to hear live music again in person, Peter

there is really nothing like it

• 2 weeks later...

Had Madeleine Peyroux (and Joan Osborne) on tap for tonight in Philadelphia, but they rescheduled it for May 2022, just yesterday.  Blah.  

On the brighter side I got to see King Crimson last week, my first show since the pandemic started.  They were fantastic, as was the Zappa Band, who opened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Anyone London types going to Simon Spillett big band at the 100 club Wednesday doing Tubby Hayes arrangements?

Anthony

London

Alas no (and not a ‘London type’) but I’m hoping that their deferred Swanage Fest slot is rescheduled for 2022. That should be a blast ! Even better if they make it West of Heathrow even sooner.

Edited by sidewinder

Not tonight but last Sunday I saw Bill Frisell play Vredenburg/Tivoli in Utrecht.

That was somewhat of a coincidence. That morning I went through a stack of 2nd hand cd's that I had recently bought and decided to give his 'Disfarmer' its second spin. Listening to the music, still enjoying my morning coffee, I got curious what Bill was up to and when I checked online I found out he was scheduled to play in nearby Utrecht to end a brief European tour that evening. As there were still a few tickets available I jumped at the opportunity.

I've been to several of his concerts over the past 30 years or so and my tastes have drifted in a slightly different direction but it took him and his band exactly 2 seconds to spellbind me. The interplay, dynamics, the seamless way in which one tune morphed into the next, it was absolutely breathtaking.

Edited by Mark13

11 hours ago, medjuck said:

Charles Lloyd.

How was it, which band?

At Lobrero Theatre? I watched a stream from there during lockdown, looks a lovely venue. He seems to regard it as his home venue.

I have tickets for his London performance in a month, just need to resolve some health issues and I'll be there. Can't miss a visit from Charles

13 hours ago, adh1907 said:

I suspect it is quite a task assembling a big band so I hope the Swanage festival thing comes off. Having now had my Booster jab I may risk the subterranean pit that is the 100 club.

Anthony

London

I haven't had a booster, another 6 weeks, so I'm not risking it, sadly.