What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How was it, which band?

At Lobrero Theatre? I watched a stream from there during lockdown, looks a lovely venue. He seems to regard it as his home venue.

I bought tickets about 2 years ago for a concert with the Marvels.  Cancelled for covid but rescheduled with Gerald Clayton, Reuben Rogers and Justin Brown.   (It's ok, I've seen him with the Marvels, including Lucinda Williams,  a couple of times.) 

I first heard him when Kieth Jarrett was still with him so that must have been nearly 50 years ago.  Then didn't see him until I moved to Santa Barbara.  i think I've seen him here 5 times in the last 20 years. 

Charles is 83, stood for the whole 2 hour with no intermission concert and danced a lot in a manner reminiscent of Monk-- including throwing his right elbow up as Monk did IIRC.

Began with Dirge and then spoke about the passings of George Wein, Phil Schaap and Mikis Theodorakis.   (He explained he usually didn't speak much at concerts but felt it was ok since he considered The Lobero his living room. )

I've never heard him sound better and I was very impressed by the rest of the group. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, medjuck said:

I bought tickets about 2 years ago for a concert with the Marvels.  Cancelled for covid but rescheduled with Gerald Clayton, Reuben Rogers and Justin Brown.   (It's ok, I've seen him with the Marvels, including Lucinda Williams,  a couple of times.) 

I first heard him when Kieth Jarrett was still with him so that must have been nearly 50 years ago.  Then didn't see him until I moved to Santa Barbara.  i think I've seen him here 5 times in the last 20 years. 

Charles is 83, stood for the whole 2 hour with no intermission concert and danced a lot in a manner reminiscent of Monk-- including throwing his right elbow up as Monk did IIRC.

Began with Dirge and then spoke about the passings of George Wein, Phil Schaap and Mikis Theodorakis.   (He explained he usually didn't speak much at concerts but felt it was ok since he considered The Lobero his living room. )

I've never heard him sound better and I was very impressed by the rest of the group. 

Thanks for the report, sounds great. I love his "dancing", he did a fair amount of that at Ronnie's the last time he was here. I haven't heard the band with Brown so I'll look forward to that if he comes over 

I envy you seeing the Marvel's with Lucinda, a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday: the revamped SFJAZZ Collective. They're recording all weekend for their next release in the Spring.

Chris Potter, tenor saxophone
David Sánchez, tenor saxophone
Etienne Charles, trumpet
Warren Wolf, vibraphone
Edward Simon, piano
Matt Brewer, bass
Kendrick Scot, drums
Martin Luther McCoy, vocals/guitar
Gretchen Parlato, vocals

Last night Phil Lesh & Friends at Capital Theatre in Port Chester, NY

2 great sets - 2 hours & 45 minutes of music. Very emotional to be back seeing Phil live in person. He will be 82 on 3/15/2022. He’s playing very well and the group with him (10/29, 10/30 & tonight) is wonderful. Great singers and guitarists complimenting the legend. Especially his son Grahame and the 2 featured singers Nicki Blum & M. T. Taylor. Nicki singing lead on the encore  “Brokedown Palace” was spectacular. Then again with the Hunter/Garcia songbook it’s hard to go wrong. As usual Phil played many of the great Dead classics that Jerry sang. Deal, Bird Song, Uncle John’s Band, Eyes of the World, Dupree’s Diamond Blues & Shakedown Street were all played last night.

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Wayne Escoffrey at Scullers in Boston. Even vaccinated, this still feels weird given the large number of new cases around here. At least Scullers is requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test prior to entry, so there is that.

I was planning on a gig yesterday but my booster is still a couple of weeks off and decided to play it safe. Shame, as it was Kate and Mike Westbrook.

Last nite at The Nash Jazz Club in Phoenix,AZ my wife and I attended a great performance.

A Tribute To Charlie Parker

with- (the great) Charles McPherson, Terell Stafford, Bruce Barth, Peter Washington and Lewis Nash.

All five musicians were in top form 

The 82 year old McPherson plays every tune with great intensity and passion. He was awarded a special  plaque by Lewis Nash for his excellent playing and, his jazz education endeavors.

McPherson has composed a jazz suite for the San Diego Ballet, and he performed one of the pieces from that suite last nite.

The club was filled to capacity last night and the audience was exuberant in their reaction to the music.  

On 11/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, bresna said:

Wayne Escoffrey at Scullers in Boston. Even vaccinated, this still feels weird given the large number of new cases around here. At least Scullers is requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test prior to entry, so there is that.

A terrific show last night I attended with Kevin and friends. To be honest I didn't know much about Wayne except he was a solid player and what little I was able to listen to on Spotify. Outstanding show. The band featured, Orrin Evans on piano, Ugonna Okegwo on bass and Mark Whitfield Jr. on drums. It didn't hurt that we sat in the front row center either. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, sidewinder said:

I was planning on a gig yesterday but my booster is still a couple of weeks off and decided to play it safe. Shame, as it was Kate and Mike Westbrook.

I too had been hoping to go and hear some of Kate & Mike's November concerts, but with travel regulations changing frequently I decided not to. - What a shame.

34 minutes ago, jazzscriveyn said:

I too had been hoping to go and hear some of Kate & Mike's November concerts, but with travel regulations changing frequently I decided not to. - What a shame.

Was looking forward to that one by the ‘Granite’ Band near Newton Abbot - ah well, hopefully some more next year. Alas I’m allergic to London these days so couldn’t get to see the ‘Westbrook Blake’. Bet it was good.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Tomorrow night Rempis, Baker, Abrams & Ra at the Hungry Brain. https://hungrybrainchicago.com

Was just listening to this quartet yesterday. Love when Baker plays his synths/electronics. Maybe my favorite Rempis group along with the quartet with Wooley, Niggenkemper & Corsano. Two very different groups. Rempis plays only with the best. 

enjoy the show, Chuck

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend saw the Shorter/spalding opera Iphigenia twice at the Kennedy Center. Very briefly spoke to Danilo Perez and John Patitucci afterward, and said hello to Wayne. Glad that he made it to DC for these performances. He received a hearty reception from the audience after each performance.