What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Is that a tribute to Alice and John? Asking as he's booked to do one in London. I'm unsure about it

I'm not sure. I do know Brandee Younger will be playing harp in the group. It's being billed as Cosmic Music Project.

Checked further, & it is indeed an Alice & John "tribute".

Edited by jlhoots

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I'm not sure. I do know Brandee Younger will be playing harp in the group. It's being billed as Cosmic Music Project.

Checked further, & it is indeed an Alice & John "tribute".

In that case I'm interested to know your impressions (no pun intended).

I saw Brandee Younger Trio recently, it was excellent 

Edited by mjazzg

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Please report back how it was! -- especially Billy Harper.  Hoping everyone sounds wonderful as ever.

No George Cables - reportedly ill, no details. Stephen Scott was the pianist.

No Craig Handy , not sure why.

Everyone played well. As expected Harper was the star. Although Eddie Henderson did a wonderful Harper ballad as a feature. McBee & Hart were fine, although every time I hear Hart he seems to play louder.

Edited by jlhoots

12 hours ago, jlhoots said:

No George Cables - reportedly ill, no details. Stephen Scott was the pianist.

No Craig Handy , not sure why.

Everyone played well. As expected Harper was the star. Although Eddie Henderson did a wonderful Harper ballad as a feature. McBee & Hart were fine, although every time I hear Hart he seems to play louder.

I'm seeing them in November and they list Donald Harrison in the band, not Craig Handy. My one concern about this band is always Hart. He seems to follow the Spinal Tap rule of playing... always at 11. :)

Edited by bresna

It was this past Sunday night. The Michael Weiss Trio did one night at the Century Club here in Tucson.

Michael was joined by a local rhythm section of Scott Black on bass, and Arthur Vint on drums.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Weiss in person. He played with great taste and swung like mad.

The only other times I have seen Michael Weiss live was 1987 in Rochester,NY  with  Johnny Griffin, and in 1996 in Vail, Colorado also with Griffin.

I spoke a bit with Michael on Sunday night, and he was the one who was able to recall the specific years when I had previously heard him play live. 

On 23.9.2022 at 6:36 PM, Peter Friedman said:

It was this past Sunday night. The Michael Weiss Trio did one night at the Century Club here in Tucson.

Michael was joined by a local rhythm section of Scott Black on bass, and Arthur Vint on drums.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Weiss in person. He played with great taste and swung like mad.

The only other times I have seen Michael Weiss live was 1987 in Rochester,NY  with  Johnny Griffin, and in 1996 in Vail, Colorado also with Griffin.

I spoke a bit with Michael on Sunday night, and he was the one who was able to recall the specific years when I had previously heard him play live. 

This sure was a great experience. I would have liked to see Michael Weiss and also talk to him.....

13 hours ago, BillF said:

Ben Crosland Quintet featuring Steve Waterman at Wigan Jazz Club this afternoon.

My first live gig since the start of the pandemic!

Great ! Glad you went out to see a live gig again after this corvid pandemic. I remember how it started in early march 2020 and Dave Liebman-Richie Beirach was chancelled in the last minute, it would have been a concert I would have attended together with my wife to show here and maybe meet the guys who were among my first jazz inspirations in the mid seventies. 

Hope you will see more live performances, I´ll go out tomorrow to see the 40 years anniversary of my favorite Austrian Drummer Mario Gonzi (please read about him on wikipedia, he will play with me also in the next months. .....

8 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

This sure was a great experience. I would have liked to see Michael Weiss and also talk to him.....

Great ! Glad you went out to see a live gig again after this corvid pandemic. I remember how it started in early march 2020 and Dave Liebman-Richie Beirach was chancelled in the last minute, it would have been a concert I would have attended together with my wife to show here and maybe meet the guys who were among my first jazz inspirations in the mid seventies. 

Hope you will see more live performances, I´ll go out tomorrow to see the 40 years anniversary of my favorite Austrian Drummer Mario Gonzi (please read about him on wikipedia, he will play with me also in the next months. .....

Next month's gig at the same venue is the Upper Austrian Jazz Orchestra. Know anything about them?

19 minutes ago, BillF said:

Next month's gig at the same venue is the Upper Austrian Jazz Orchestra. Know anything about them?

Yeah, they are from the austrian federal land Upper Austria (Oberösterreich), the capital is Linz where the famous Bruckner-Conservatory also has jazz classes and where my main mentor and leader Allan Praskin taught for many years. The Upper Austrian Jazz Orchestra  has a very flexible repertory ´, they played with international stars like Johnny Griffin, but also worked on crossover projects combining austrian folk songs,( which maybe is not exactly my alley) , but they are great, and there wonderful trumpet player Simon Plötzeneder also performed here in Viena .

A former member was the late great Bumi Fian, a first class trumpetist I also played with, who ended so tragically as a total victim of booze and beer. 

Edited by Gheorghe