What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night:

Donald Kachamba's Kwela Heritage Jazzband

Sinosi Mlendo - guitar, tin whistle & vocals

Moya A. Malamusi - one string tea crate bass, mouth bows, vocals

Gerhard Kubik - guitar, clarinet, vocals

Christopher Gerald (Khilibize) - rattle, vocals, tin whistle

They play Kwela - a musical style from Southern and Eastern Africa, isnpried by jazz and son/rumba/calypso recordings brought to Africa since the 1950's.

Inluding references to Gerry Mulligan tunes and Lullabye of Birdland ...

kachamba.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Trumpeter Pharez Whitted and guitarist Bobby Broom at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy.  Still hoping to sneak into Chicago for Winnard.

m-

Is Pharez at the Kitchen Sunday night? Yikes I haven't seen him years. I think I'm going to try to go-- are you going early?

Trumpeter Pharez Whitted and guitarist Bobby Broom at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy.  Still hoping to sneak into Chicago for Winnard.

m-

Is Pharez at the Kitchen Sunday night? Yikes I haven't seen him years. I think I'm going to try to go-- are you going early?

Rachel,

I'll be there around 8 or so; hope to see you there!

Mark

On June 24 I saw Antibalas & Soulive at Prospect Park in Brooklyn for a $3 donation. Antibalas laid down some serious grooves and a lot of left-wing commentary and the park jumpin'. Soulive followed and somehow got the groove up a level! Fantastic concert, thousands dancing, deep groove, music of substance, Great time had by yours truly.

He meant somehow they kicked it up a notch from Antibalas, which in case you haven't heard them, absolutely kick the grooves with that jungle boogie Afro beat. There aint much groove left on the meter after Antibalas, Soulive must've taken it to 11!

He meant somehow they kicked it up a notch from Antibalas, which in case you haven't heard them, absolutely kick the grooves with that jungle boogie Afro beat.  There aint much groove left on the meter after Antibalas, Soulive must've taken it to 11!

That's exactly it, ScottB. Antibalas was smokin', and between sets I wondered if Soulive could come up to that level of groove, but they did hit 11!

It was a great scene, thousands of people in a park dancing and groovin' to the music, including many that were new to the music. :tup

In the next weeks I'm going to see:

JOHN SCOFIELD BAND

MARILYN MAZUR

BENNY GOLSON & CEDAR WALTON QUINTET

COMPANIA MARIA SERRANO

KARAMELO SANTO & DESORDEN PUBLICO

SILJE NERGAARD

JOHNNY CLEGG

LIZZ WRIGHT

NILS PETTER MOLVAER

CHICO CESAR & RAY LEMA

DE PHAZZ

BOBO STENSON TRIO

CHARLIE MARIANO & DIETER ILG

plus some lesser-known stuff.

I helped the organizers of two local festivals and got free tickets.

Am looking forward to hearing some new stuff, especially KARAMELO SANTO & DESORDEN PUBLICO from Argentina/Venezuela (... Salsa and Cumbia, Ska, Punk, Reggae und pure Rock’n’Roll ... heard their debut CD and liked it. Very energetic) and Compania Maria Serrano (Flamenco diva I've heard of but have never seen).

In the next weeks I'm going to see:

JOHN SCOFIELD BAND

MARILYN MAZUR

BENNY GOLSON & CEDAR WALTON QUINTET    

COMPANIA MARIA SERRANO

KARAMELO SANTO & DESORDEN PUBLICO

SILJE NERGAARD

JOHNNY CLEGG

LIZZ WRIGHT

NILS PETTER MOLVAER

CHICO CESAR & RAY LEMA

DE PHAZZ

BOBO STENSON TRIO

CHARLIE MARIANO & DIETER ILG

plus some lesser-known stuff.

I helped the organizers of two local festivals and got free tickets.

Am looking forward to hearing some new stuff, especially KARAMELO SANTO & DESORDEN PUBLICO from Argentina/Venezuela (... Salsa and Cumbia, Ska, Punk, Reggae und pure Rock’n’Roll ... heard their debut CD and liked it. Very energetic) and Compania Maria Serrano (Flamenco diva I've heard of but have never seen).

Where is Benny Golson and Cedar Walton playing?

Edited by Hardbopjazz