What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I caught the Rebirth Brass Band on 7/19 at their regular gig, the Maple Leaf in N'awlins. The set started around 11:00 P.M. and the place was packed(had to be about 250 people there) wall to wall and front to back. Rebirth blew the roof off that sucker! They wre funky but also displayed some serious chops and some great solos by the various horns(2 saxes, 2 trumpets, 2 bones, 1 sousaphone). As complex as they got with the horn interplay, they still had some ass-shakin' groove going also.

The crowd was mostly people in their twenties, one of the most encouraging signs I've seen in quite awhile. Maybe they won't all turn out to be jazz fans, but they packed the place and dug the groove and were at least exposed to some great music. If in N'awlins, check these guys out on Tuesdays at the Maple Leaf- great gig!!!

during this past weekend when i was in nyc, i caught the louis hayes cannonball legacy band featuring vincent herring, joe magnarelli, and anthony wonsey. as i expected, this is a very tight outfit that created some very upbeat, soulful music that harkens back to a magical band that i never had the fortune to see live.

i also had the opportunity to see jimmy greene at the vanguard. joining jimmy was stefon harris, playing a new set of vibes from yamaha that adds four extra metal bars at the lower end. i joked with him that he should get paid extra every time he uses one of those added bars! :D again, it was a great night of jazz, made even more special by the fact that jimmy's family was there to cheer him on.

after the vanguard gig i wandered over to fat cat to see peter bernstein. it was quite late (around 1am) and they still wanted to charge me full admission, even though they couldn't tell me how much longer peter would be performing. :tdown they eventually let me in with the stipulation that i could pay them something after the show "if i thought it was worth it." believe me, i wasn't trying to get in for free. it was just that they wouldn't tell me how much i'd be getting for my money. well, i managed to sit down in time for the last three songs (about 15 minutes). afterward, they tried to hit me up for $10. i gave them $5, and left with a good feeling about the music, but a loss of respect for the establishment.

Edited by jazzshrink

during this past weekend when i was in nyc, i caught the louis hayes cannonball legacy band featuring vincent herring, joe magnarelli, and anthony wonsey. as i expected, this is a very tight outfit that created some very upbeat, soulful music that harkens back to a magical band that i never had the fortune to see live.

i also had the opportunity to see jimmy greene at the vanguard. joining jimmy was stefon harris, playing a new set of vibes from yamaha that adds four extra metal bars at the lower end. i joked with him that he should get paid extra every time he uses one of those added bars!  :D again, it was a great night of jazz, made even more special by the fact that jimmy's family was there to cheer him on.

after the vanguard gig i wandered over to fat cat to see peter bernstein. it was quite late (around 1am) and they still wanted to charge me full admission, even though they couldn't tell me how much longer peter would be performing. :tdown  they eventually let me in with the stipulation that i could pay them something after the show "if i thought it was worth it." believe me, i wasn't trying to get in for free. it was just that they wouldn't tell me how much i'd be getting for my money. well, i managed to sit down in time for the last three songs (about 15 minutes). afterward, they tried to hit me up for $10. i gave them $5, and left with a good feeling about the music, but a loss of respect for the establishment.

Damn nice weekend of jazz!!! :excited:

I attended the local jazz festival and I listened to the following bands/artists.They were all excellent!

Martin Kratochvil & Tony Ackerman

Marilyn Crispell (solo+trio gig)

William Parker Quartet

There were other bands as well but I guess those names mentioned above are much more familiar to you.

Saw "The Organ Trio" last thursday with a guitarist who used only his thumb - never seen that before. This coming week its Georgie Fame and the week after Tommy Smith Sextet on the Monday followed the next night by The Scottish Youth Jazz Orchestra. The latter two gigs are part of the International Youth Festival here - so its a no alcohol at the Blue Lamp on the Monday - so no G&Ts for me!

After a desert of a summer Jazz is finally back in the North East of Scotland.

On Monday I went to Smoke (NYC) for the first time. (I was in the city to watch Hitchcock's "Suspicion" at Bryant Park. It was 90 degrees at 9 PM, terrible.) Great club, though the "no cover" thing is a little misleading. I caught the end of the set with Richard Wyands, bassist, Jimmy Cobb and a female Japanese alto saxophonist. Then hung around for a bit of the jam session.

Great venue! :tup

Guy

On Monday I went to Smoke (NYC) for the first time.  (I was in the city to watch Hitchcock's "Suspicion" at Bryant Park.  It was 90 degrees at 9 PM, terrible.)  Great club, though the "no cover" thing is a little misleading.  I caught the end of the set with Richard Wyands, bassist, Jimmy Cobb and a female Japanese alto saxophonist.  Then hung around for a bit of the jam session.

Great venue! :tup

Guy

I'm planning on seeing Jimmy Cobb at Smoke in August.

It will be my first time there.

Caught the Sun Ra Arkestra and MC5 Saturday at Summerstage in Central Park, NYC. This Friday at 7 Brad Meldau, Jason Moran and Eric Lewis will play. Looking forward to it.

But I have to say,

after the vanguard gig i wandered over to fat cat to see peter bernstein. it was quite late (around 1am) and they still wanted to charge me full admission, even though they couldn't tell me how much longer peter would be performing. :tdown  they eventually let me in with the stipulation that i could pay them something after the show "if i thought it was worth it." believe me, i wasn't trying to get in for free. it was just that they wouldn't tell me how much i'd be getting for my money. well, i managed to sit down in time for the last three songs (about 15 minutes). afterward, they tried to hit me up for $10. i gave them $5, and left with a good feeling about the music, but a loss of respect for the establishment.

Mitch is really just trying to make this place last. They are not getting rich over there, just trying to keep the doors open. Last time I checked he didn't have a liquor license so wasn't selling $14 glasses of shite wine either. Had you shuddered paying three, four, five times the $10 he asked for admissions and minimums at the Standard or the Vanguard? Would you have at Bradleys or the Village Gate or any other of the countless now-gone venues?

Edited by Elis

Pianos in the Park Saturday was packed. Eric was lovely - he played a piano covered in grass - a park piano. Like a dada sculpture. Damn I love him - so creative, with the most incendiary universal kind of all-engulfing passion - bigger than jazz really for though based there what he plays becomes a kind of non-dogmatic, supra-religious Gospel. His was the spiritual set of the evening.

Brad played solo, which is how in spite of all those records, I prefer to listen to him. So pretty, so much heart. His was the emotional set...

And then Jason Moran with Nasheet and Taurus Mateen - a killing rhythm section that almost allows Jason to play his music as intellectually as he likes. Oddly, I've seen that band maybe 5 times and only ever loved it in the past, but Saturday Jason seemed a bit cold, a bit heady after Eric and Brad.

Edited by Elis

Mitch is really just trying to make this place last. They are not getting rich over there, just trying to keep the doors open. Last time I checked he didn't have a liquor license so wasn't selling $14 glasses of shite wine either. Had you shuddered paying three, four, five times the $10 he asked for admissions and minimums at the Standard or the Vanguard? Would you have at Bradleys or the Village Gate or any other of the countless now-gone venues?

you missed my point. i would have gladly paid the full admission price (or even more) for a full set. they refused to tell me when the set would end, telling me they wouldn't be charging me anything if there were only 15 minutes left. later, they tried to do exactly that. i've enjoyed myself at fat cat in the past, but i'm not eager to go there again. no offense luke.

Edited by jazzshrink

now on to something more positive. i saw frank morgan saturday night at the unitarian universalist church in marblehead, ma. he was backed by hilton ruiz, curtis lundy, and yuron israel. my summary: great artists giving an excellent show in a place with a wonderful vibe, all put on by an organization that really loves jazz. next weekend, it's the newport jazz festival!

• 2 months later...

Last night Joanne and I went to hear/see Michael Nyman at The Sage in Gateshead.

He was performing solo albeit to selections of silent film and photography projected onto a huge screen behind him.

He also played selections from Gattaca, The Piano and other 'hits'.

The silent films were of Manhattan and Nice (by Jean Vigo) in the 1920's by the looks of it and tended to show the bustle of both sides of the tracks; the rich and the poor.

Now I know Nyman's music tends to be on the urbane, propulsive and only slightly 'impressionistic' side but apart from the accompaniment to the films (and one or two 'movie' movements, Gattaca mainly), I found it all a bit detached and certainly a bit turgid. At one point it was almost as if he was really going through the motions.

We have seen him conduct live before, in fact for a world 'premiere' once and he came across as ebulient and quite gregarious. Last night, as part of the 'act' no doubt, he remained silent for the entire concert. A bit contrived if you ask me.

I saw Paul Allen's blues act last night, who played after my band and before a smokin' Ray Charles tribute band. This thread doesn't have a requirement that there are actual musicians involved...? Most of the Trailblazers were there, as it was their VIP party. Great food, good drinks, but his band was a difficult listen, to say the least!