What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night I heard the Philharmonic Orchestra my wife plays for perform a stonking programme of music. I have waited a long time for them to come up with such a suitable programme for my ears:

Shostakovich 5th and Silbelius' Violin Concerto. Impressive performance both by the soloist in the Sibelius, and the talented (amateur) orchestra. :)

Don't tell anyone, but I'm going to see the Moody Blues tonight. :unsure:

Anyone ever say you have too much money? :)

Well...........it was my girlfriend's idea. ^_^

Anyway, that was last night. I would say that they were 1/2 good. They definitely are bumping up against John Tesh territory on some of their songs. Some of the early tunes from their classic period (60s/70s) still hold up, though. Mercifully, they only played a couple "new" tunes which were not very good.

I was amazed at the enthusiasm of the crown, though. They definitely have a STRONG following and got 'standing Os' after almost every song.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm going to see the Moody Blues tonight. :unsure:

Anyone ever say you have too much money? :)

Well...........it was my girlfriend's idea. ^_^

Anyway, that was last night. I would say that they were 1/2 good. They definitely are bumping up against John Tesh territory on some of their songs. Some of the early tunes from their classic period (60s/70s) still hold up, though. Mercifully, they only played a couple "new" tunes which were not very good.

I was amazed at the enthusiasm of the crown, though. They definitely have a STRONG following and got 'standing Os' after almost every song.

They must have played some songs from their new "Moody Blues at Red Rocks" CD. :w

I'm going to see something called Bulgarian Bebop tonight. I have no idea what it's about. it's part of a subscription series.

Joe, Randy and I were going to go see this when it came through Michigan (I believe this Thursday) but we got offered a gig and I can't turn down gigs right now. Money is tight.

Enjoy!

On Saturday I heard Barry Finnerty, Peter Barshay, and Akira Tana at Zebulon in Petaluma, California. I was surprised, as we were taking a stroll after dinner, to find musicians of this quality in what used to be a hick town ("Chick-a-luma") a little more than thirty years ago. It is 'gentrified' these days.

This reminds me of the fact Akira's publishing company is called Akanatuna. :)

forgive a probable misspelling.

I'm going to see something called Bulgarian Bebop tonight. I have no idea what it's about. it's part of a subscription series.

Joe, Randy and I were going to go see this when it came through Michigan (I believe this Thursday) but we got offered a gig and I can't turn down gigs right now. Money is tight.

Enjoy!

Well it was definitly Bulgarian but I'm not sure about the bebop. It seemed to me the jazz it most resembled would be described as modal. I think they didn't want to call it by its best known name: Wedding Music. But I'd sure like to go to a wedding these guys played at. People were literally dancing in the aisles! (They were encouraged to do so by the vocalist.) And though most of the dancing resembled a hora at a Jewish wedding, there was one woman doing a belly dance and the saxophone player began to play directly to her. An amazing drummer who kept it swinging even in 7/16 time.

• 2 weeks later...

NILS WOGRAM – RUDI MAHALL – JAN RODER – ULI JENNESSEN

Nils Wogram Trombone | Rudi Mahall Bass Clarinet | Jan Roder Bass

Uli Jennessen Drums

OLAF RUPP GUITAR SOLO

Olaf Rupp Guitar

ICP Orchestra

Misha Mengelberg Piano | Ab Baars Clarinet, Saxophone | Michael Moore Clarinet, Sax | Tobias Delius Clarinet, Sax | Wolter Wierbos Trombone | Thomas Heberer Trumpet | Mary Oliver Violin, Viola | Tristan Honsinger Cello | Ernst Glerum Bass | Han Bennink Drums

Weds night I went to THE local blues hangout, BB's Lawnside BBQ to see John Paul's Flying Circus.

For my money, BB's is the coolest place to see live music in KC. The place is a true roadhouse, with a jukebox devoted entirely to the blues. The place is also full of vintage posters from live blues shows in KC over the last 40 years.

There is also an incredible mural on the wall behind the stage that depicts blues legends (the pic below only depicts part of it).

Very cool place and the BBQ is not half-bad either.

BB's from the outside

Edited by Eric