What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw the Mingus Big Band last night at Yoshi's. GREAT MF show! :g

If you ever get a chance to see this outfit (in whatever incarnation they're in), go see them. Craig Handy runs a fun show that's got everything from dazzling solos to Ku-umba Frank Lacy vocals.

Also impressive and worthy of wider recognition:

Lauren Sevian - bari sax (the only female I'm aware of on the instrument)

George Colligan - piano (where has THIS guy been hiding??!)

Honorable mention for Jack Walrath as the token Mingus alumnus. Would have liked to hear more than just the one solo he took at the end of the show.

BTW - at dinner in the Yoshi's dining room we sat next to a table with Sue Mingus, Frank Lacy, John Handy (Craig's uncle) and Craig's mother (who was introduced during the show). Very entertaining in itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got home from a Chris Potter concert with his new Underground band: Craig Taborn on Fender Rhodes, Adam Rogers on guitar and Nate Smith on drums. I thoroughly enjoyed it. They did a few tunes from the new CD (which I haven't picked up yet): Underground, Lotus Blosson (Strayhorn, with some beautiful reharms), and Nudnick. Played what Potter introduced as a "tradition African tune" called Togo. Also did a couple of new ones: Pop Song #1, and#2, and a couple that were not introduced. As an encore they did a cover of a Joni Mitchell tune, Ladies of the Canyon .

Potter, of course, has ridiculously prodigious chops; tremendous control and flexibility on the saxophone. I also find his sound to be more gratifying in live situations than on most of his CDs. Craig Taborn was playing on a Rhodes borrowed from a local musician, and it appeared that he wasn't thrilled with the action on it. Apparently the action was very hard; so much so that he was actually shaking out his right hand at points in his solos. He also appeared to opt out of taking some solos. Adam Rogers played some really nice lines, and Nate MF Smith! Very happening. The whole group had a ton of rhythmic variety happening, both in the tunes (mixed meter and tunes in 3) and rhythmic interplay. The basic vibe is very groove oriented, but they were pushing and pulling and stretching things a lot.

Excellent way to spend a Thursday night here in the desert...

Just got home from a Chris Potter concert with his new Underground band: Craig Taborn on Fender Rhodes, Adam Rogers on guitar and Nate Smith on drums. I thoroughly enjoyed it. They did a few tunes from the new CD (which I haven't picked up yet): Underground, Lotus Blosson (Strayhorn, with some beautiful reharms), and Nudnick. Played what Potter introduced as a "tradition African tune" called Togo. Also did a couple of new ones: Pop Song #1, and#2, and a couple that were not introduced. As an encore they did a cover of a Joni Mitchell tune, Ladies of the Canyon .

Potter, of course, has ridiculously prodigious chops; tremendous control and flexibility on the saxophone. I also find his sound to be more gratifying in live situations than on most of his CDs. Craig Taborn was playing on a Rhodes borrowed from a local musician, and it appeared that he wasn't thrilled with the action on it. Apparently the action was very hard; so much so that he was actually shaking out his right hand at points in his solos. He also appeared to opt out of taking some solos. Adam Rogers played some really nice lines, and Nate MF Smith! Very happening. The whole group had a ton of rhythmic variety happening, both in the tunes (mixed meter and tunes in 3) and rhythmic interplay. The basic vibe is very groove oriented, but they were pushing and pulling and stretching things a lot.

Excellent way to spend a Thursday night here in the desert...

I was at the same show. Your assessment is excellent.

I bought the CD.

Billy Harper Quintet (Yoshis) 3-18

-Phenomenal band: Francesca Tanksley (piano--coming off astoundingly well), Clarence Seay (bass), Newman Taylor Baker (drums), Keyon Harrald (trumpet--a young cat in the Hubbard/Shawish mold, although I heard some Charles Tolliver... very, very promising).

-The group played "Illumination", "Trying to Make Heaven My Home", "Speak to Me of Love, Speak to Me of Truth", and "Insight". Incidentally, I've heard Harper play that last number some three times already--the group is really mixing up the repertoire, and I'm surprised I came on the 'right' night... Note on "Trying to Make Heaven My Home"--an overwhelming, epic (in the truest sense of the word) performance. I'm glad Harper's still around to play this like this.

Billy Harper Quintet (Yoshis) 3-18

-Phenomenal band: Francesca Tanksley (piano--coming off astoundingly well), Clarence Seay (bass), Newman Taylor Baker (drums), Keyon Harrald (trumpet--a young cat in the Hubbard/Shawish mold, although I heard some Charles Tolliver... very, very promising).

-The group played "Illumination", "Trying to Make Heaven My Home", "Speak to Me of Love, Speak to Me of Truth", and "Insight". Incidentally, I've heard Harper play that last number some three times already--the group is really mixing up the repertoire, and I'm surprised I came on the 'right' night... Note on "Trying to Make Heaven My Home"--an overwhelming, epic (in the truest sense of the word) performance. I'm glad Harper's still around to play this like this.

I went last Thursday. They played "Illumination", "Funny Valentine", "Soran Bushi B.H." & "Light Within".

As ep1str0phy said, Francesca was on fire. She's really come into her own and is making a run at claiming the McCoy Tyner sound. VERY impressive.

All in all a very solid show. With the exception of Keyon Harrald, this group has been together for well over 10 years and it shows in their communication.

• 3 weeks later...

Charles MacPherson, Tom Harrell & co. at Dizzy's club....

Go. If you live in NY. If not, get on Amtrack, jump a turnstile, jack a car, promise someone the moon for a ride. For upon arrival in Dizzy's you will hear 5 masters playing real jazz. Real bebop. The two co-leaders plus Ronnie Matthews, Jimmy Cobb, Ray Drummond.

Best word to describe what I heard tonight: therapeutic. As in curative, good for what ails you. Also exciting, like live jazz still can be---these days mostly when when the few guys like this still around play it.

Charles and Tom were individually at the top of their games and together breathing fire and finishing each other's sentences. Anybody that thinks Tom can't play anymore or isn't the player he was will be cured of that misperception from note # one. Burning. Charles is really a personality, he represents Charles Macpherson. Jimmy, bless his soul, still got it. His solos were really exciting and he drove the band right along with Ray and Ronnie. The music of Bird and Diz, it was billed and for once the billing wasn't a con. Played some originals, too.

Again, go. Through Sat.