What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Medeski Scofield Martin and Wood. fUn sHoW. Glad I had my earplugs. :)

Did they play anything other than music from the new album and A Go Go by any chance?

I couldn't tell you much of what they played. There were a lot of tunes I didn't recognize (plus I don't have the new one yet), and no titles were announced from the stage. I noticed one tune from A Go Go, plus Sunshine of Your Love.

Did they play anything other than music from the new album and A Go Go by any chance?

I couldn't tell you much of what they played. There were a lot of tunes I didn't recognize (plus I don't have the new one yet), and no titles were announced from the stage. I noticed one tune from A Go Go, plus Sunshine of Your Love.

Joe, was this the show at the Vogue??

m~

Here's the setlist from bt.etree.org:

01 Little Walter Rides Again >

02 Improv >

03 Cachaca

04 Southern Pacific

05 Sunshine Of Your Love

06 Hanuman

disc 2 - set 2

01 Miles Behind

02 In Case The World Changes Its Mind

03 Tequila And Chocolate

04 Deadzy >

05 What Now

06 Julia

07 Hottentot

Encore:

08 New New Orleans

I particularly loved Sunshine of Your Love and Julia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw a Kenny Garrett a few years ago in Chicago at the now temporarily (we hope) closed Jazz Showcase. It was rather intense. There were a few occasions when he band stopped playing, and he and the drummer did a duo performance. Garrett would turn around and play his alto into the drumset, while the drummer did an Elvin Jones style barrage of snare and tom toms, as an accompaniment. Garrett played alto, soprano, and a tiny curved sopranino horn.

After the set I had a chance to chat with him. The showcase is a small 200 seat club, and the performers usually mingle with the audience between sets. (one of the reasons we're still hoping it re-opens) I mentioned that his performance was different from the usual Showcase fare of old guys playing standards (I do enjoy listening to old guys playing standards)

He commented that he is "creating new standards."

I saw a Kenny Garrett a few years ago in Chicago at the now temporarily (we hope) closed Jazz Showcase. It was rather intense. There were a few occasions when he band stopped playing, and he and the drummer did a duo performance. Garrett would turn around and play his alto into the drumset, while the drummer did an Elvin Jones style barrage of snare and tom toms, as an accompaniment.

Yeah, the intensity; on a scale of 1 to 10, last night was an 11. :excited:

Tribute to Horace Silver at Disney Hall.

Great concert in a beautiful venue. Performing musicians: Bennie Maupin, Joe Lovano, Charles Tolliver, Tom Harrell, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Randy Brecker, Cedar Walton, George Coleman, Andy Bey, Christian McBride and Roger Humphries.

Horace, with his son Gregory, was in the audience. The great man sat right behind my left shoulder. Got to talk to him backstage. What an honor. I'm still jazzed. :wub:

Chano Domínguez (piano solo) - Homenaje a Tete Montoliu at the club "Clamores" (Madrid)

If you like Chano's playing, using flamenco and other traditional Spanish music and mixing it with jazz, you could have enjoyed this concert (though I am a bit fed up with his mannerisms).

As a hommage to Tete Montoliu it was poor, very poor, absolutely disappointing. He played just a few Tete compositions, mostly blues... and Chano couldn't even name a tune (what kind of preparation for a hommage to the great Tete is this?). His trying to emulate Tete's phrasing was sad, his left hand obstructive, his touch didn't didn't even resemble the wonderful sound of Tete's notes.

Funnily (or should I say sadly?) enough, the only Tete Montoliu theme that he played in the second part of the concert was.... Coltrane's "Some Other Blues", which Chano presented as a "one of Tete's blues".

:angry: