What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, and am I going to hear mikeweil with Aynur in Zurich on February 20?

Sorry, I won't be on this gig. I'm not part of Aynur's touring band right now, maybe later again.

These people are more and more thinking project-like - same with Mikail Aslan's band who has some real nice Benelux gigs coming up in June but is somewhat losing the patience to go through the sometimes difficult and time-consuming process of working with non-kurdish musicians. There goes the world music fusion .... pretty frustrating: he has things im his head, but not the will to explain them or write them down. I have to see what the future brings.

p.s. got your SMS but was busy at that time.

As soon as I'm back online at home I will write more.

Edited by mikeweil

Sorry, I won't be on this gig. I'm not part of Aynur's touring band right now, maybe later again.

These people are more and more thinking project-like - same with Mikail Aslan's band who has some real nice Benelux gigs coming up in June but is somewhat losing the patience to go through the sometimes difficult and time-consuming process of working with non-kurdish musicians. There goes the world music fusion .... pretty frustrating: he has things im his head, but not the will to explain them or write them down. I have to see what the future brings.

Oh, sorry to hear these bad news! What would you think, is the Aynur concert worth going still? What kind of music does she play? The info in the Moods programme is pretty successful in not telling anything particular - probably they don't know, either...

No problem about the SMS, I just saw the new programme right then and thought I'd write...

Oh, sorry to hear these bad news! What would you think, is the Aynur concert worth going still? What kind of music does she play? The info in the Moods programme is pretty successful in not telling anything particular - probably they don't know, either...

No problem about the SMS, I just saw the new programme right then and thought I'd write...

Aynur is a powerful singer - could be discribed as modern folklore. Cemil Kocgün, her main accompanist, is a very nice guy and an excellent baglama player. I have no idea who else is in the band right now.

Check Youtube for Aynur or Mikail Aslan and you will find some clips from our London or other concerts that will give you an idea of her singing.

Tomorrow night (January 26):

Andreas Staier playing a Schumann recital on an original old Conrad Graf built fortepiano!

It was an excellent performance focussing on Schumann's lifelong Bach reception - the encore was a Bach prelude and fugue from WTC II, fittingly. This will be broadcast on SWR2 in April.

It was not a Graf but an Erard piano by the way, with a magical sound and many different tone colours depending on playing style and register.

Last night, the First University of Texas at Dallas Jazz Festival.

First, Dan Morgenstern gave a 45 minute or so talk about early jazz in Dallas and Texas, playing musical examples. He played some music by Sammy Price, Hot Lips Page (awesome), Alphonso Trent (?), Bob Wills, and Boots and His Buddies. I really enjoyed the lecture. Trent is the one whose music I was unfamiliar with--he played an 18 month engagement in Dallas at the Adolphus Hotel starting in 1925--the two recorded examples played were really tremendous (one featuring Stuff Smith).

Then, Leroy Hog Cooper (Ray Charles' baritone saxophonist for 20 years) led a pickup group for a nice two set concert. He still sounds good on baritone and soprano sax, though he tended to play fairly short solos, and to sit out some songs. The concert was billed as a tribute to Ray Charles. However, Cooper seemed alot more interested in talking about his association with Buster Smith. So the concert was a mixture of Buster Smith compositions (cool version of Rose Room which Cooper played with Buster Smith at the Rose Room in Dallas), standards, and Ray Charles associated songs. He told the story of Buster Smith selling One O'Clock Jump to Count Basie for a half a cigar and a bottle of whiskey.

The lecture was sparsely attended, but there might have been a couple of hundred people there for the concert.

Last night, Arthur Blythe. Tonight, Eddie Henderson at The World Stage.

Did you make it? I was there for the first set. Missed him on Friday at Charlie O's, so I was pleasantly surprised when Azar showed up! :tup

Yes! Caught the second set. Surprised to see/hear Azar and Nate Morgan for second set. Nate said he played with Arthur Blythe Sat. night then came to the World Stage to play with Eddie during second set. :)

Caught the Bad Plus at the Village Vanguard on Saturday. Saw the 11:00 show. Great interplay between the three of them. They got into a great groove with their cover of David Bowie's "Life On Mars." Like a number of their songs, they started slow and quiet, then built it into a solid groove and then took it higher. I had a front row seat right at the side front of the stage.

Yeah man! I've got the disc they put out a couple of years ago with the Dr. It will be a funky good time, for sure. :tup

I think we should learn "Freedom Jazz Dance", one of my all time faves.. I heard his rendering of it driving home last night from Detroit.. Edited by randissimo