What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Saw the Moscow State Symphony in Cambridge. The highlight was Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, but they also did well with Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Suite. In the middle was a Rachmaninoff piece that I found unbelievably boring. I started looking over at the wall, counting bricks, waiting for it to end.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that one's in the books! Great show all around; Holland was all smiles and drummer Eric Harland was a power house, providing the spark that the rest seemed to feed off of. Soloists Robin Eubanks (tb), Sasha Sipiagin (tp) and Antonio Hart (ts) were all in top form, with Sipiagin and Eubanks getting the bulk of the solo space and Hart chiming in with some wonderful, bluesy stylings. Pianist Mulgrew Miller not only was missing in the house mix, but he also seemed to be operating separately from the rest of the group, with his comping and very occasional solo spot more an afterthought than an integral part of the band, which was slightly disappointing. Miller shown brightly, albeit briefly, when afforded the chance, but I couldn't help think that he was perhaps having a hard time fitting in the space Steve Nelson's vibes usually occupy. The set had a few nice surprises, including "Interception" from Conference of the Birds, which featured a hard-hitting, snare-busting solo from Harland, and "Equality" from Dream of the Elders, minus, of course, the Cassandra Wilson vocal. The show was a bit brief at about 90 minutes, including a one-song encore ("Pass It On," dedicated to Ed Blackwell), but I felt privileged to catch the band on a great night. Holland himself seemed a bit surprised by the audiences enthusiastic standing ovation before the encore, remarking "can we do a second night?" after coming back for another bow and one more for the road. If only, if only...

The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra is performing tonight

No plans of attending, but that could change

With just a little notice I could have comped you....

Hmm....

April 21, 2007 Michigan State University

:rlol

Jim McNeely will probably be playing that concert. If anything changes I'll let you know.

Edited by Michael Weiss

ETHNIC HERITAGE ENSEMBLE

Corey Wilkes, trumpet

Kahil El'Zabar, percussion & vocals

Ernest Dawkins, sax

Fareed Haque, guitar

Should be interesting.

I'd love to hear a review of this when you get back!

Happy to oblige! Wonderful show. Long tunes; I think they did six total, three per set. Kahil is unique. Lots of vocalizing, and his whole body goes into creating hypnotic grooves that never falter, even after 20 minutes. And some strange grooves, too. I couldn't really get a handle on a couple of them in terms of how he was dividing up the measure. But they'd sit right there in the pocket the whole time, and when he'd deviate, as during a solo, invariably he'd come right back into them, as if by magic, afaic. Told some nice stories about Lester, Malachi, and others who have passed on. He bemoaned the "fools" in power making such poor decisions for the common good. Also sends his best to Chuck; I mentioned your name, and he brought up a session he did for Nessa Records some 20 years ago.

Fareed's one of my favorites, and although he was late getting there, and fighting a cold, he played some brilliant stuff. I really liked some of the grooves he laid down in this bass-less quartet. Corey (whom I saw with Roscoe Mitchell last September) and Ernest added some excellent work as well.

Highly recommeded! And they have a new album out on Delmark.

Saw Isaac Hayes last night . I didn't know he suffered a stroke last year, he sat at a keyboard all

night ( played 1 hour) and really struggled when he got up and walked .

Looking at him sitting there he looked the same as back in the Stax day's...you would be hard pressed to guess his age . I'm thinking mid sixties ...BUT he looks 40.

He sounded great all things considered.

I'm keeping him in my prayer's.....

ETHNIC HERITAGE ENSEMBLE

Corey Wilkes, trumpet

Kahil El'Zabar, percussion & vocals

Ernest Dawkins, sax

Fareed Haque, guitar

Should be interesting.

I'd love to hear a review of this when you get back!

Happy to oblige! Wonderful show. Long tunes; I think they did six total, three per set. Kahil is unique. Lots of vocalizing, and his whole body goes into creating hypnotic grooves that never falter, even after 20 minutes. And some strange grooves, too. I couldn't really get a handle on a couple of them in terms of how he was dividing up the measure. But they'd sit right there in the pocket the whole time, and when he'd deviate, as during a solo, invariably he'd come right back into them, as if by magic, afaic. Told some nice stories about Lester, Malachi, and others who have passed on. He bemoaned the "fools" in power making such poor decisions for the common good. Also sends his best to Chuck; I mentioned your name, and he brought up a session he did for Nessa Records some 20 years ago.

Fareed's one of my favorites, and although he was late getting there, and fighting a cold, he played some brilliant stuff. I really liked some of the grooves he laid down in this bass-less quartet. Corey (whom I saw with Roscoe Mitchell last September) and Ernest added some excellent work as well.

Highly recommeded! And they have a new album out on Delmark.

Thanks Joe. I need to put that album on my get-list. I'd like to hear Haque in this context, and I'd like to hear more of Wilkes, as well.

This past weekend was a good one for jazz in the Washington, DC area.

On Friday I saw the Dave Holland Sextet at the Kennedy Center. The group included:

Alex Sipiagin (trumpet), Robin Eubanks (trombone), Antonio Hart (saxophone), Mulgrew Miller (piano), DH (bass) and Eric Harland (drums).

Although some of these players were with Dave's Big Band which played the KC in 2005, this was the first time I saw this sextet together and the first time I heard Mulgrew Miller at all.

The first set included:

Ebb and Flow ("Dream of the Elders")

Mr. B ("Points of View"), dedicated to Ray Brown

Interception ("Conference of the Birds")

Processional ("Extensions"), partly inspired by Cleopatra's barge in the (Liz Taylor?) movie, according to DH.

Pass it On ("Ones All"), dedicated to Ed Blackwell.

On Saturday I saw Coryell/White/Bailey at Blues Alley. I had only heard this guitar trio from recordings before. I didn't catch the name of the first tune, but the rest of the first set which I attended included:

Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)

Joyce's Favorite (Bailey)

Our Love is Here to Stay (Coryell dedicated the standard to his wife)

Dedication (White)

Spaces Revisited (Coryell)

Edited by HWright

Last night we saw Luciana Souza in Kalamazoo. It was billed as a quintet featuring featuring Romero Lubambo (g), Edward Simon (p), Scott Colley (b), and Antonio Sanchez (d). We were crestfallen when it was announced that the entire rhythm section, with the exception of Edward Simon (there had been a duo concert there the night before), were stuck on a plane in NYC. So, Luciana and Edward took the stage with two local players and faculty members from WMU: Keith Hall on drums and Tom Knific on bass.

Long story short, they did a fine job pulling it all together. Edward is a truly fine pianist, and Luciana is just... graceful, fluid, effortless, agile, in tune, warm, playful; and quite beautiful. :wub: I think her composing is great, and her interpretations of the music of others always hits the mark. Highly recommended if she shows up at a venue near you.

I saw the Wallace Roney quintet at the Blue Room in Kansas City on February 17. It was quite good, and then Bobby Watson (who lives in Kansas City and is the head of the jazz program at the local University) sat in. Bobby played some ferocious solos with the group. He is playing better than he ever has. It was quite a memorable evening of music, with Bobby's contributions.

Drummer Eric Allen was on fire throughout the evening. I have not heard a drummer play so well and with so much energy since Roy Haynes a few years ago and Jack DeJohnette in 1981.

I saw the Wallace Roney quintet at the Blue Room in Kansas City on February 17. It was quite good, and then Bobby Watson (who lives in Kansas City and is the head of the jazz program at the local University) sat in. Bobby played some ferocious solos with the group. He is playing better than he ever has. It was quite a memorable evening of music, with Bobby's contributions.

Drummer Eric Allen was on fire throughout the evening. I have not heard a drummer play so well and with so much energy since Roy Haynes a few years ago and Jack DeJohnette in 1981.

I heard something about turntables in the group.

Is that true?

I heard something about turntables in the group.

Is that true?

There were none on the evening that I saw him. There was nothing like that at all.