What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

February 20

Michael Brecker's memorial concert at Town Hall. Herbie/Patitucci/DeJohnette was a highlight as well as Leibman and Randy's words.

February 24

Piotr Anderszewski at Carnegie Hall playing Szymanowski's Metopes (highly recommended!!) and Beethoven's Bagatelles and Diabelli variations.

Brian Blade at the Vanguard. Jon Cowherd had a great solo on a medium fast tune in 7/4, after which the set all but died with a long drawn-out Beatles medley. I don't get it....

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arts & Crafts at the Green Mill last night.....two smokin' shows!!!

m~

This was a really, really excellent show. I expected a very decent show, but last night ended up being one of the best shows I've seen in recent memory. The atmosphere of the club was perfect, the crowd was VERY into it, and the band was absolutely SMOKIN' !!!!! The grooves were deep and the soloing was fantastic. Superb stuff. If anyone gets the chance to see Matt Wilson's Arts & Crafts on this tour, I'd highly recommend it, as they are playing at a very high level.

Arts & Crafts at the Green Mill last night.....two smokin' shows!!!

m~

This was a really, really excellent show. I expected a very decent show, but last night ended up being one of the best shows I've seen in recent memory. The atmosphere of the club was perfect, the crowd was VERY into it, and the band was absolutely SMOKIN' !!!!! The grooves were deep and the soloing was fantastic. Superb stuff. If anyone gets the chance to see Matt Wilson's Arts & Crafts on this tour, I'd highly recommend it, as they are playing at a very high level.

They'll be at The Outpost Performance Space in Albuquerque in April.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Hilary Hahn w/the Indianapolis Symphony; Sibelius Violin Concerto, and the Largo from one of the Bach solo violin works for an encore. She makes it all look so easy. Great, full tone, nearly flawless execution. Got some real fire going in the third movement. The Bach was sublime.

For the second week in a row, I was treated to some magical music at the Green Mill. The Ben Allison Quartet was in town this past weekend. His band included Ron Horton, Steve Cardenas and Michael Sarin. They played alot of music from their most recent CD "Cowboy Justice", as well as a few other surprises, such as John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" and the theme from Midnight Cowboy. The band was excellent. I was there with a group of people who really aren't that familiar with jazz, but everybody really, really enjoyed the show, and a couple of them even purchased CDs on the way out! Always a great thing to see. We stayed for all three sets and had an excellent time. Check this band out if you can!! Really talented group of players who really don't sound like anything else I've ever heard.

Edited by sal

For the second week in a row, I was treated to some magical music at the Green Mill. The Ben Allison Quartet was in town this past weekend. His band included Ron Horton, Steve Cardenas and Michael Sarin. They played alot of music from their most recent CD "Cowboy Justice", as well as a few other surprises, such as John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" and the theme from Midnight Cowboy. The band was excellent. I was there with a group of people who really aren't that familiar with jazz, but everybody really, really enjoyed the show, and a couple of them even purchased CDs on the way out! Always a great thing to see. We stayed for all three sets and had an excellent time. Check this band out if you can!! Really talented group of players who really don't sound like anything else I've ever heard.

Sorry I backed out on you Sal....sounds like I missed a good one. I'll be at the Green Mill this weekend for Dana Hall's Quintet with Terell Stafford and Tim Warfield as well as Lynch/Herwig's Latin Side of Miles and Trane at Hot House....give me a yell if you can attend!

m~

I've been invited to see a private concert at someone's home in Williamston tonight:

The California Guitar Trio w/ Tony Levin.

:excited:

That sounds REALLY cool, Joe! Let us know how it is. Maybe you can get up and jam with them!

How much does a private CGT/Levin concert cost?

For me, $20. These guys were supposed to be playing at the Creole Gallery this weekend, but all shows there have been cancelled for the time being. I don't know how this guy got ahold of them, but I guess they decided that since they were already routing through the area, they might as well play somewhere. A friend of mine was my hookup, otherwise I wouldn't have even known about it.

I'll post about it later tonight!

Well, pretty cool show. Didn't hit me where I live, so to speak, but there were some worthwhile moments. They did a Bach prelude in an interesting way: they cut the sound to the P.A., so we were hearing just the acoustic sound of their guitars. Then the each played every third note of the piece. It had a very nice cascading effect. That was probably my favorite work of the night. Tony Levin was cool to see in this context. He played only fretless electric, and got a good tone out of that thing. Just kind of a trip seeing him rockin' out in the dining room. :D

Just watched my wife's orchestra tackle Shostakovich's Festive Overture, his Cello Concerto No.1 and Ravel's arrangement of Pictures At An Exhibition.

The cellist was a young lass called Victoria Simonsen from New Zealand who was outstanding.

Saw Pat Martino a couple of nights ago, with a trio of (I believe) Philadelphia dudes: Rick Germanson, piano; Craig Thomas, bass; Vic Stevens, drums. They're touring in support of Martino's Wes Montgomery tribute release. They spent the first set getting warmed up--nice, but coasting. Of course, Martino coasting is still top-level stuff. They were cooking in the second set, though. Martino ended with an especially inventive "Oleo" and then did "Sunny" as an encore. I was with a guitarist friend who was laughing with delight at Martino's prowess.

Tomorrow night, it's Roy Haynes. Haven't seen him in six or eight years, I think. I'm hoping that at eighty-whatever he's still up to it--but I'm confident.

The James Carter Organ trio (Gerard Gibbs, B-3, Leanard King, drums) last night in Cleveland. Jaw dropping! And this group had so much infectious fun playing together. Charlie Parker died 52 years ago today. James Carter ended his set......then said he'd be remiss if he didn't pay tribute to Bird. His intensity after already playing 2 1/2 hours was something to behold.

The James Carter Organ trio (Gerard Gibbs, B-3, Leanard King, drums) last night in Cleveland. Jaw dropping! And this group had so much infectious fun playing together. Charlie Parker died 52 years ago today. James Carter ended his set......then said he'd be remiss if he didn't pay tribute to Bird. His intensity after already playing 2 1/2 hours was something to behold.

Were they really loud?