What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tomorrow night, it's Roy Haynes. Haven't seen him in six or eight years, I think. I'm hoping that at eighty-whatever he's still up to it--but I'm confident.

Just back from this--a wonderful evening. Roy was playing brilliantly, as was his wonderful quartet (Martin Bejerano, piano; David Wong, bass; Jaleel Shaw, alto & soprano). Quiet as its kept, the Roy Haynes Quartet in its various guises over the past twenty years or so has been one of the great small groups in contemporary jazz. Aggressive, playful, virtuosic, with fantastic arrangements of a fine book of tunes drawn mostly from the musicians Haynes has played with--and that means a lot--and above all, a unique style of creative rhythmic interplay. I've seen them with Ralph Moore, Don Braden, Craig Handy, now Jaleel Shaw in the saxophone chair, and mostly with David Kikoski on piano. Bejerano is someone to watch, too. Tonight was the first time I had seen Shaw and I was greatly impressed. He reminded me of John Handy sometimes. On "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" and a Monk tune, can't place it, the band was just crazy good. Haynes reached peaks.

Anyway, it turns out that at midnight, when it became March 13, it was Roy's 82nd birthday! He demanded champagne on stage for the whole band and kept the place in stitches with one of his long, ad lib monologues as he paced around the stage. Roy Hargrove was in the audience and he came up and played the second half of the second set, tearing the place up with fire-breathing solos. He got the band excited and the energy went up a notch. It was Hargrove who played waiter and served the band their glasses of champagne.

At one point Haynes mentioned that he saw some young people in the audience, pointing to one kid in particular and asking him how old he was and if he played an instrument. He was 13, named Robin, and played the drums. Roy invited him up to show the crowd his stuff. After a split second of paralysis, up he went and started playing a very decent James Brown kind of beat. Roy stomped it out, singing "Shake it to the left! Shake it to the right!" and the band started playing along with the groove. The kid was even improvising some, keeping the beat and doing some fancy stuff. Naturally the crowd ate it up and gave him roaring applause when Haynes gracefully put an end to it. That's a moment the kid will never forget.

As we left, Archie Shepp was hanging out with Hargrove near the entrance.

All in all, a great jazz evening! And I had brought my son along and some friends, so it was all good. I should really get out more often.

a dream come true.....one of my biggest influence on geetar has visiting switzerland tonight ......i vent and saw PAT MARTINO playing live! YEEEEEHAAAWW! Not a front row seat, but anyway....i was there!

Pat needed a warmup in the beginning of the show, on the first two tracks were a bit behind the beat, but after a while...well he was awesome! I was in heaven for two hours.

Drummer was ok, rock solid, bass player was too quiet (as always), piano was too loud and the player was a bit boring, well it's damn hard to play an interesting solo playing alongside with Pat. Overall, the sound engineer messed it all up, too much muddy lows and low-mids, well to much highs on the piano

it would me much better when Pat join forces with an organist (Joey?) in my opinion.....

i made some picts for ya (comin' soon)

best wishes & take care :cool:

Paco

Going to see the SF Jazz Collective on Sunday night.

Can't wait.

Tonight ...

How was the show, BF? Douglas is in the band now, right?

They're going to be in San Antonio on Friday, and I'm thinking about making the drive up there.

Good show, Ag. Worth checking out, for sure. Also, this will be the last chance to catch the Collective with Bobby Hutcherson and Josh Redman. They will be leaving before the summer European tour and are being replaced with Stephon Harris and Joe Lovano who will continue on into the next season.

The show itself was very entertaining. They did quite a few Monk tunes (this year's theme) and a handful of originals. Standout artists would be the surprising Miguel Zenón - a young barnburner from Puerto Rico, Renee (pronounced ree-nee) Rosnes - VERY solid and creative, Bobby Hutcherson - of course, and drummer Eric Harland who was a monster......yet amazingly subtle at the same time.

Here are a couple of articles from the SF Chronicle:

Dave Douglas works his magic on Monk with the SFJAZZ Collective

Flights of fancy, with a cue from Monk

A week ago I saw Tony Levin as a special guest with the California Guitar Trio, and tonight I saw his King Crimson bandmate Adrian Belew as a special guest with Umphrie's McGee. Belew did a solo set to open the night, which we caught the last few tunes of. U.M. played a couple of hours before bringing him back out to noodle on one of their tunes, then launching into "Red", which was by far the hardest rocking tune of the night. U.M., btw, put on a tight show. Kind of a harder rocking Phish, I guess.

Ralph Alessi Quintet next week (Ravi, Andy Milne, Ben Street, Gerald Cleaver).

Wow....that sounds like a cool show! Please post a review if you get the chance.

95 minute single set. Venue sold out (approx. 200).

Serious music - tart, rigorous, abstract, intelligent.

All original music, only names of 2 songs announced.

Repaid close attention, I'd go again.

SFJC w/ boobie hutcherson perform tonight in tucson

i found out too late........

You can fly out to San Antonio with BF and we can hit the Riverwalk prior to tomorrow night's show, SS!

The show was wonderful! I'm still in a daze this morning about everything, and still absorbing it.

I'm inclined to agreed with Beef Rank that Miguel Zenon in particular was on fire! Every solo of his impressed me. Bobby Hutcherson played beautifully... what a master! Some of his spotlight moments just blew the audience away. Joshua Redman's playing (to me) seemed to mirror his laidback personality completely. He had one or two solos where he seemed to become more passionate (one almost "Trane-like", according to the lady sitting next to me). Dave Douglas seemed solid but not inspired, though he really seemed to get into the other's solos alot, almost dancing along to them. Of the others Renee Rosnes had a couple of wonderful solos, Andre Hayward had a great tone and played well, and Eric Harland really impressed me as a drummer. Matt Penman was solid and had a couple of nice solos too!

I was able to nab Josh Redman's setlist afterwards:

Alcatraz (part of Douglas' San Francisco Suite)

Brilliant Corners

Epistrophy

Ugly Beauty

SF Holiday

Lions Gate

Haast Pass

Oska T

Crepuscule

Life at the End of the Tunnel

(Hornin In)

I Mean You

Union

Criss Cross (encore)

Also, I was talking with the lady at the merchandise stand prior to the show, as I bought the limited ed. version of SF Jazz 3 (mine's #1465). I told her how excited I was about seeing the show, and that I was hoping to get Bobby's autograph afterwards. She was very friendly, and after the show she took me backstage, where I was able to meet Bobby and his wife Rosemary, and all of the other band members! Bobby wanted to talk fishing on the Texas coast :D It was wild just having a casual conversation about ordinary stuff like that.

I also talked with Dave Douglas for a while. He signed a few things for me, one being his old "Sanctuary" cd cover. He was surprised I had it, and said he doesn't see it often at all. He said it was very "all over the map" in terms of energy and style, and I suggested that John Zorn had rubbed off on him on that recording. He laughed and agreed.

Also got to talk with Eric Harland for a bit. He was cool. He said after the SF Jazz tour is done, he'll be going back out with Charles Lloyd in a quartet tour of Europe. He said Geri Allen wouldn't be on board in the quartet this time, but instead Jason Moran! So I was excited to hear that.

All in all a great night of music, that hopefully will trigger some more jazz acts coming to San Antonio!

Edited by Aggie87

Whoa. Totally cool, Ag. What a great experience.

I would agree with your review of the performance and the players. I didn't find Douglas' performance or composition particularly inspiring, but he was definitely inspired himself, as you said.

BTW, I didn't get to hang with any of them after the show ... :(

Saturday March 17 they had a Bix Beiderbecke birthday bash in Bridgewater NJ (say that 5X real fast). It was the first one I've been to and it was really good. The band playing that night was The Dreamland Orchestra, fronted by trombonist Michael Arenella.

I must say I felt like I was transported back to the late 20s/early 30s. The band was spot-on and didn't play anything after 1929, dressed like they were in the era, the arrangements harkened back to the Hot Jazz times, the instrumentation was great - overall everything about the concert was wonderful. If you see the band coming to your neck of the woods, I would recommend seeing them if you like early Hot Jazz - dreamlandorchestra.com.

I saw the SF Jazz Collective on March 18 in Kansas City. It was great, one of the best concerts I have seen in recent years. Bobby Hutcherson was fine but did not play that much. Dave Douglas was amazing, and on fire. Joshua Redman blew me away for the first time ever. His tenor solo during the encore was incredible. Everyone else played very well. Eric Harland was super on drums throughout. It was a high energy show, very inspired. Renee Rosnes also really stood out. She is becoming a monster pianist, in my opinion.

The set list was similiar but not identical to the one posted earlier today from another city.

A buddy saw the SFJC Concert w/ Boobie Hutcherson in Tucson

He said the show was incredible

I shoulda made the effort

:(

SS1, you can catch them next year (with a slightly different lineup, though).

Saw Randy Weston w/Billy Harper on Saturday. TOTALLY entertaining show. I can't believe it's the first time I've seen Weston. I also can't believe that he's 80+ years old! Doesn't look it at all (except that he moves kinda slow). The whole band was cooking and Billy was on fire (of course - what ELSE is new).

Have to catch him again the next time he comes around.

Saw Toumani Diabate and the Pan African Band (I think that's the new name) in Chicago at Hothouse last night. Very good, though a bit short (just over an hour). On one of the songs the kora and balafon traded 4s or 8s or something. It was amazing. They got half the people in the club dancing on the last tune, and that's quite an accomplishment. They'll be coming back through Chicago on July 12, and I'll be there!

Anyway, it turns out that at midnight, when it became March 13, it was Roy's 82nd birthday! He demanded champagne on stage for the whole band and kept the place in stitches with one of his long, ad lib monologues as he paced around the stage. Roy Hargrove was in the audience and he came up and played the second half of the second set, tearing the place up with fire-breathing solos. He got the band excited and the energy went up a notch. It was Hargrove who played waiter and served the band their glasses of champagne.

French TV top channel TF1 was on hand to videotape the celebration

http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/jt/0,,3420152,00-a...w-morning-.html

Dave Douglas writes about playing with the SF Collective in his blog. Pretty interesting. The observations made in this thread that he's having a blast playing with this group are apparently right on target.

davedouglas

Thanks for that link.

They do apparently record every show and take the best performance of each tune to release in a multiple-disk, limited edition set.

On Saturday I saw Allen Toussaint at Blues Alley in Washington DC with special guest Marva Wright, 8 pm set.

The band with AT on piano and lead vocals, included tenor sax, guitar, bass guitar and drums.

Here's the set list:

AT and Band

Blues Alley (instrumental)

Medley: A Certain Girl/Mother in Law/Fortune Teller/Working in A Coal Mine

Things that Make You Mine

Shoorah! Shoorah!

I Like it Like That

Ride Your Pony

Something You Got

With Marva Wright on vocals:

Whole Lotta Shakin'/Shake Rattle and Roll

Help Me Make it Through the Night