What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm checking out Rashied Ali at the Jazz Standard tonight. Saw him at Tonic a few months back and it was a pretty good set.

This was a pretty good hardbop show.

I do have to say, though, that the food at the Jazz Standard is VASTLY overrated. Two things New Yorkers don't know *shit* about: 1) BBQ 2) Mexican food. All the top-rated places I've been to in either category have ranged from thoroughly sucking to just making the lower end cut-off of "mediocre".

Rashied Ali - drums

Jumanne Smith - trumpet (good)

Lawrence Clark - tenor sax (quite good)

Greg Murphy - piano (pretty good)

Joris Teepe - bass (ok)

There was also a second trumpet player whose name I don't remember (Joel something?) and a female alto player.

Saturday night--Frank Morgan at the Jazz Standard and Onaje Alan Gumbs at the Kitano. The latter set (sparsely attended), somewhat unexpectedly (being only familiar with Gumbs as a sideman on a few recordings), was an absolutely killer set.

Sunday night--Nino Josele Trio at the Village Vanguard. This turned out to be another unexpected extreme pleasure. Flamenco guitar meets jazz and Bill Evans associated songs turned out to be a very happy meeting.

Monday night--Mike Stern--55 Bar. Miles Davis was right about him.

Tuesday night--Lonnie Smith at the Jazz Standard. They didn't get too warmed up until the second set, but by the end they sure were. The crowd was embarrassingly sparse, especially for the second set.

Friday, June 1

Rudresh Mahanthappa Quartet performs "Codebook"

with

Rudresh Mahanthappa, alto saxophone

Vijay Iyer, piano

François Moutin, double-bass

Dan Weiss, drums

+ F.A.B. Trio

with

Billy Bang, violin

Joe Fonda, double-bass

Barry Altschul, drums

Monday June 4

BERT JANSCH!!

Tonight: Garaj Mahal...........Fareed Haque's band....at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy

Saturday night: Bobby Broom at the Jazz Factory in Louisville (bus trip with 40 other jazz fans....movies on the bus, wine...goodies....should be fun :wacko: !!!

Sunday evening: Redd Holt at the Jazz Kitchen

Tuesday night--Lonnie Smith at the Jazz Standard. They didn't get too warmed up until the second set, but by the end they sure were. The crowd was embarrassingly sparse, especially for the second set.

Wow....NYC...them's some spoiled jazz audiences! I'd kill to see a couple sets of Lonnie on a tuesday night.