What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Tonight is going to be pretty packed. First I'm going to go to Vision Fest:

Saturday Night June 23

Poet/Host David Budbill

7:30 Ganelin Trio Priority

Vyacheslav Ganelin piano, synthesizer, percussion / Petras Vysniauskas soprano sax

Klaus Kugel drums, percussion

8:30 Eddie Gale All-Star Band

Eddie Gale trumpet / Prince Lasha reeds / Kidd Jordan tenor saxophone

Valerie Mih piano / William Parker bass / Alvin Fielder drums / Patricia Nicholson dance

9:30 Rob Brown Quartet

Rob Brown alto saxophone / Lewis Barnes trumpet

Todd Nicholson bass / Guillermo E. Brown drums

10:30 Whit Dickey Trio

Sabir Mateen reeds / Todd Nicholson bass / Whit Dickey drums

11:30 Amiri and Amina Baraka’s Blue Ark

Amiri Baraka poetry / Amini Baraka poetry, vocals

Dwight West vocals / Rene McLean reeds / Adegoke Steve Colson piano

Curtis Lundy bass / Pheeroan akLaff drums

I'm probably going to leave after the Eddie Gale set, though, because I got tix for Panda Bear at the Bowery Ballroom months ago (before the album was even out). Eddie Gale/Prince Lasha/William Parker followed by Panda Bear should make for an entertaining evening.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I admire how many gigs you go to J Larsen. It reminds me of my days of really hitting it, going to shows constantly. Except you live in town and I was always in transit between NY & NJ. I wish I could live in town.

Well, you know, that's why I live here. I work a hell of a lot, but if I didn't make it out to the gigs/art shows/etc., I couldn't justify the expense of living here. If it wasn't for the (admitedly declining) cultural opportunities, I'd probably leave the city; either for a place like Philladelphia where I could keep my current job but have a house and garden, or for Paris where I have a couple job options. As it is, I'm relatively happy... for now.

I only saw the Eddie Gale set at Vision Fest tonight - from what I gather from jazzshrink and msheldon, I missed out by skipping the afternoon set, but I really needed a little time for rest and chores. Anyway, the Gale set was very good - very inside by Vision standards, but Kidd Jordan, Prince Lasha and Gale all had great solos (especially Jordan) and everyone played very well. It was almost disarmingly hardbop, but very, very good.

Panda Bear was great. He did not make the mistake of trying to replicate the album live (I didn't expect him to). Instead he played realistic solo interpretations of songs on the record, as well as a few new things. It was a GREAT set. See him if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

(Last night) went to go hear a free concert by the Michael Session Sextet--an all-star ensemble with a number of Pan African People's Arkestra alums: Steve Smith (tp), Phil Ranelin (tb), Nate Morgan (p), Jeff Littleton (b), Sunship Theus (dms). Performance was marred by a poor balance between the rhythm section and the horns and some wacky acoustic choices by the sound crew (a lot of reverb), but the playing was terrific and the ensemble took off with a typically interesting repertoire (many originals, some Jazz Messenger Tunes, an Ornette tune--"Turnaround"). Session might be my favorite LA-area sax player--a post-Trane, post-Dolphian vocabulary than moves facilely between inside/outside extremes.

Some good news--Phil Ranelin said that he's done some reunion stuff with the Detroit crew (Marcus Belgrave, etc.), and that an album should be released soon. I'm looking forward to hearing what that "sound" would sound like after all these years, considering how many of the Detroit scene's innovations and idiosyncrasies have sort of fueled parts of modern beat/sample culture. I think all the remnants of Ranelin's crowd still have something interesting to say.

More Stockhausen...

Montag:

In Freundschaft (for trumpet)

Komet (version for percussionist, electronic and concrete music)

Dienstag:

Kathinka's Gesang (version for flute and electronic music)

Klavierstück XII

Mittwoch:

Harmonien (for bass clarinet) [world premiere]

Himmels-Tür (for percussionist and a little girl)

Mittwochs-Abschied (octophonic electronic and concrete music)

Edited by rostasi

Ron Carter was deleted from the North Sea Jazz Festival line-up because of "personal reasons". Not bad enough to prevent him from playing in the US (strange). Hope this won't be seen as a break of contract.

I'm going to the NSJF tonight as well (went last 2 days also). Friday I saw a killer Charles Tolliver Big Band set (with Bill Saxton completely smokin' Billy Harper, not a small feat!!!). Talkin' about underrated......This Saxton guy is really something. THen off to EST (the Swedish ECM type trio) which was very good. Topped the whole with a smashing set by Scofield, Medeski, Martin & Wood! Yesterday (saturday) was more "woman" type of music day. First Steely Dan (always great to see those guys). Then our own Trijntje Oosterhuis with the Metropole Orchestra (Vince Mendoza arranger, conductor) singing Burt Bacharach songs (she just made a cd with these songs and line-up). THen I wanted to see Gino Vannelli but the hall was too crowded and you couldn't get in which is a pitty since my good friend Erik Kooger plays the drums in this group. I'll catch them later in the Netherlands somewhere. Tonight will be the best I hope with the SF Jazz Collective, Joshua Redman Trio, Dave Holland Quintet, Mike Stern/Dave Weckl/Anthony Jackson, Solal with Konitz, Mengelberg trio etc, etc.......

(Last night) went to go hear a free concert by the Michael Session Sextet--an all-star ensemble with a number of Pan African People's Arkestra alums: Steve Smith (tp), Phil Ranelin (tb), Nate Morgan (p), Jeff Littleton (b), Sunship Theus (dms). Performance was marred by a poor balance between the rhythm section and the horns and some wacky acoustic choices by the sound crew (a lot of reverb), but the playing was terrific and the ensemble took off with a typically interesting repertoire (many originals, some Jazz Messenger Tunes, an Ornette tune--"Turnaround"). Session might be my favorite LA-area sax player--a post-Trane, post-Dolphian vocabulary than moves facilely between inside/outside extremes.

Some good news--Phil Ranelin said that he's done some reunion stuff with the Detroit crew (Marcus Belgrave, etc.), and that an album should be released soon. I'm looking forward to hearing what that "sound" would sound like after all these years, considering how many of the Detroit scene's innovations and idiosyncrasies have sort of fueled parts of modern beat/sample culture. I think all the remnants of Ranelin's crowd still have something interesting to say.

Phil's a great guy. He just sent me an LA newspaper with an article about him. He played in Indy (his hometown) with Slide Hampton and Steve Davis a couple months ago and I sent him some photos of the three of them.

Belgrave will be here in the near future...would be good to see Phil show up to play.

m~