What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Friday Night I saw John McLaughlin and the Fourth Dimension at Lisner Auditorium on the George Washington University Campus, Washington DC. This is the tour written up on Saturday in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/29/arts/music/29mcla.html

Contrary to Ratliff though, I thought the show was great. I liked that it was frequently unsubtle and "Fast, [...] Furious and [...] Very Virtuosic." At times McLaughlin's playing reminded me of the sound he got on "Bitches Brew."

The group included: Gary Husband (keyboards and extra drums/percussion), Hadrien Feraud (bass, from France) and Mark Mondesir (drums).

None of the compositions were named, but presumably many of them came from McLaughlin's 2006 album "Industrial Zen."

On Saturday I saw Wallace Roney's group at Blues Alley.

I didn't catch all the band members names, but the tenor/soprano player was Antoine Roney and much of the set drew from Wallace's "Jazz" album. I believe they also played a Miles Davis/Wayne Shorter composition from 1967 as well, although I'm not sure which one. The electric keyboard player was quite impressive, as was the drummer (Eric Allen, I think). I liked the unision passages that the two horns played together but was more impressed by Wallace as a soloist. There was also an extra percussionist sitting, named Yusef, I think.

Edited by HWright

I've been to a lot of indie rock shows the past few days. Saturday night I saw Animal Collective. Sunday was Thurston Moore. Tonight I'm seeing a triple bill - Boris/Damon and Naomi(with Michio Kurihara)/Fursaxa. Back to Jazz on Thursday when I see Bobby Zankel's Wonderful Warriors of Sound(featuring Elliott Levin and Seth Meicht). Saturday is Marilyn Crispell/Mark Helias/Andrew Cyrille.

Phew.

Marcus Roberts trio (w/Jason Marsalis & Roland Guerin) and Wynton at FSU tonight.

Gotta say, it was very, very good. Wynton played his ass off. Marcus is one of the best accompanists I've heard (and played with). He really listens and follows, he lets the soloist have control and really allows interaction to take place. The trio worked together very well.

I've been fairly neutral on much of what Wynton's done, but he played some great music tonight.

He and the rest of the guys came to school and worked with the students earlier today, and made some very good observations and comments. Have to say I was impressed.

I'm really enjoying getting to hang w/Marcus here (he's a member of the jazz faculty). He's a wonderful musician and a very intelligent person.

The Atrium String Quartet at Gateshead's Sage.

They played a mixed programme of Haydn's No. 7, Nurimov's No.2 In Memory of Indira Ghandi, Shostakovich's No. 7 and Beethoven 'Rasumovsky'.

I think most of the crowd went to hear the Beethoven but of all the pieces the Nurimov was the most fascinating; an eastern/Russian dirge which dipped into atonality and frentetic soloing.

This was last weekend (I've been ill). I saw Stefon Harris with his chamber jazz group playing cuts from African Tarantella as the first half of the bill, then Roy Haynes with his Fountain of Youth Quartet. This was at the CSO. John Litweiler's review in the Sun-Times was basically on target, though I think he was a bit too dismissive of Harris' set: Litweiler review

What was unusual about the Harris set is that he is basically playing Ellington suites or his own compositions inspired by Duke, but he has emptied the whole middle range of soloing instruments. He had a clarinet and a flautist who each did a bit of soloing (not much), a viola and cello that just provided support, then the lower range, a trombonist (who did put in a couple of good solos), bass, piano and drums. Of course, we really were there to see Harris, and he did not disappoint. I don't know if it was an attack of nerves or dry mouth, but in her one solo spot the flautist was just not very good and even the clarinetist was just ok. Maybe he should have tried a different instrumentation to cover these spots (backed by the cello maybe). But it was beautiful music, and Harris told a couple of amusing anecdotes between songs.

Roy Haynes was just incredible. I've seen him before, but he was really on fire this time. He is spry for an 82 year old. On the first number, I thought Jaleel Shaw (the saxophonist) was just going to be a Bird clone, but he was really good on the ballads in particular. The most interesting part for me of the set was him soloing on soprano with the bass player walking behind him. Really wild. Definitely glad I made this set.

My wife's orchestra played last night. The turn out was lousy but the programme was good.

Sibelius --- En Saga

Strauss --- Four Last Songs

& Dvorak 7th in Dmin.

The orchestra were definitely under strength missing some seasoned players but brought it together for some lovely moments in the first two pieces and a rousing Scherzo and Finale in the Dvorak.

What would you recommend for a good recording of En Saga?

Guest Bill Barton

Thomas Marriott’s Willie Nelson Project

Thomas Marriott - trumpet; Mark Taylor - saxophone; Ryan Burns - keyboards; Geoff Harper - bass; Matt Jorgensen - drums

&

More Zero

Chris Stover - trombone; Stuart McDonald - saxophone; Ben Thomas - vibes; Jeff Norwood - bass; Matt Jorgensen - drums

More info here.

Tord Gustavsen Trio in Leeds last night at the College Of Music. Very stirring stuff. Managing to raise it above the simmer we're used to hearing on their studio discs, they boiled over a few times with some definite Monk-isms and a bit of rocking out on the newer tracks.

That drummer gets such a beautiful sound from his kit!

Saw the Kidd Jordan Trio last Sunday. Really amazing. He just got up and blew hard and free for 90 minutes.

This Monday brings Burton Greene Trio with Burton Greene, piano; Ed Schuller, double-bass; and George Schuller, drums. Free show! :tup :tup :tup

Thursday could be really something as well. Damo Suzuki (former lead vocalist of Can) is doing two shows. For the early show he will be backed up by Bardo Pond. For the second show he be paired w/ a local Philly band Stinking Lizaveta. :rhappy:

Edited by J.H. Deeley

SF Jazz Fest

Dee Dee Bridgewater, vocal

Baba Sissoko, tamani and ngoni

Fatoumata Kouyaté, vocals

Kabiné Kouyaté, vocals

Lansiné Kouyaté, balafon

Mamani Kéita, vocals

Moussa Sissokho, djembe and congas

Cherif Soumano, kora

Adama Diarra, djembe

Edsel Gomez, piano

Ira Coleman, bass

Minino Garay, percussion

SF Jazz Fest

Dee Dee Bridgewater, vocal

Baba Sissoko, tamani and ngoni

Fatoumata Kouyaté, vocals

Kabiné Kouyaté, vocals

Lansiné Kouyaté, balafon

Mamani Kéita, vocals

Moussa Sissokho, djembe and congas

Cherif Soumano, kora

Adama Diarra, djembe

Edsel Gomez, piano

Ira Coleman, bass

Minino Garay, percussion

I saw that Dee Dee Bridgewater group last weekend in Kansas City. It was great, a very memorable night of music.