What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Awakening was great last night. Packed house, probably 400-500 people there. Ari Brown lit the stage up on multiple occasions - if playing saxophone was akin to heavyweight boxing, I'd put my money on Ari against almost anyone. He had the house clapping and shouting during one particularly raucous blues, I thought he was going to cause a riot. Corey Wilkes was on all night and fit right in to their sound, and Ernie Adams was on fire on the drums. He's a drummer a lot of folks sleep on even in the local scene, just an incredible musician who fits in almost any context and does his thing.

Some great new compositions from Ari Brown, TS Galloway and Ken Chaney, in addition to Spring Thing and Bronzeville Blues, two old tunes. They said they're going to record a new album with the new material sometime soon.

Just arrived home, saw tonight Joe Sullivan big band with featured guess George Garzone. The band which features a who's who of Montreal's finest jazz musicians was cooking. The guest of honor also showed what he's made of. Honorable mention to alto sax Remi Bolduc who had a great solo in the first piece of the evening in a fine piece of music called Icebreaker.

Sometimes you wonder why you bother buying tickets and going to all the trouble to see a live show, and then you get this answer, it's the chance that you'll assist to something special like it was the case tonight.

Just arrived home, saw tonight Joe Sullivan big band with featured guess George Garzone. The band which features a who's who of Montreal's finest jazz musicians was cooking. The guest of honor also showed what he's made of. Honorable mention to alto sax Remi Bolduc who had a great solo in the first piece of the evening in a fine piece of music called Icebreaker.

Sometimes you wonder why you bother buying tickets and going to all the trouble to see a live show, and then you get this answer, it's the chance that you'll assist to something special like it was the case tonight.

I was taken aback, as they said in olden days. The real Joe Sullivan died in 1971 and is/was a master of the piano.

Had a great weekend......saw the Buster Williams Quartet (w/Lenny White) Fri at Smoke, then Charles McPherson over at the Jazz Standard Sat nite w/Randy Brecker, Billy Drummond, David Hazeltine. I thought that McPherson started out a little off his game (even introducing Brecker as the pianist :lol: ) but he hung back a bit and then rallied toward the end. No question that Brecker dominated the stage. Last night caught the Teddy Charles Quintet at the Vanguard and the buzz in the room was tremendous. John Mosca wasn't in the room last night but apparently had been at shows earlier in the week? The sax player (Chris Byars) was very good and he had his father come in at the end to play oboe on Gryce's 'San Souci'. The bass player, Ari Roland, was unreal.....had a few solos with the bow and got so worked up a couple of times I thought he was gonna burst a blood vessel! That show for sure was pure joy.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Went to the Velvet Lounge last night and caught the first set of the Ed Wilkerson, Tatsu Aoki, Michael Zerang trio. They used to play together pretty regularly, oftentimes at Michael Zerang's old space the Candlestick Maker (now reopened under a new moniker, Brown Rice, by other musicians).

A great set - three long improvisations that featured Ed on clarinet, bass clarinet, and tenor. A great musical dialog and some very interesting rhythmic ebbs and flows from Zerang and Aoki. Highly enjoyable.

Guest Bill Barton

Charles Lloyd Quartet at The Triple Door :excited:

Here's a gig i wish i could attend.

It was the first time that I've heard Lloyd in performance. Forest Flower was among the first jazz albums I ever bought.

The second set was the one I caught. It started a few minutes past the scheduled 9:30 p.m. but didn't wind down until nearly 11:30! That's a mighty generous set by Triple Door standards. The quartet with Jason Moran, Reuben Rogers and Eric Harland is a hell of a band. In some ways the "sidemen" stole the show. Lloyd certainly has a beautiful sound on tenor but his playing seemed a bit unfocused to me with some very tentative tune endings. It was an enjoyable set but not one of those "once in a lifetime" concerts that you remember for 30 years. Good not great... I'm glad that I finally had a chance to hear him live.

Freddie Hubbard and Friends – Yoshi’s April 4th. First show

Sadly Freddie has lost all his chops, hardly any sound came out of his Trumpet but it was still worth it because I got to see James Spaulding and George Gables for the first time who were both amazing along with the great Lenny White and Bobby Hutcherson. It was great to see some walking giants, even if Freddie can’t play anymore. There was also some nice banter between Orin Keepnews who was in attendance and Hubbard.

Highlights:

Arietis

Sunflower

Caravan

And Freddie Hubbard telling the story of when Chick Corea had L.Ron Hubbard call him and Freddie hanging up on him and telling him just because your last name is Hubbard doesn’t give you the right to call me.

A great venue and a packed house, good times.

Edited by WorldB3