What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Friday night I saw MV and EE and the Golden Road. Good stuff. The Philly indie music contingent was out in full force. Saw members of the Espers, Bardo Pond, and the guitarist Jack Rose in attendance.

Saturday night I saw Sonny Simmons and Bobby Few. Sonny claims that it was his first time ever in Philly. The last time Bobby Few was here was back in 1992 w/ Steve Lacy. They did not disappoint.

Pierre-Yves Martel - Quartetski Does Satie

Philippe Lauzier : alto sax and bass clarinet

Gordon Allen : trumpet

Pierre-Yves Martel : doublebass and arrangements

Isaiah Ceccarelli : drums

While watching this gig, i saw something i did not expect, during the last piece the drummer played with two baguettes, he started eating parts of it while still playing , eventually they broke out and one of the musicians started throwing the pieces into the crowd. Some people threw them back at him, :ph34r:

Baguette.png

Edited by Van Basten II

Hello all,

Went to an interesting concert last night in beautiful Brooklyn. At Prospect Park there was a triple bill(for free) of Taylor Mcferrin, Marc Ribot and Ceramic Dog, and Medeski,Martin & Wood. Great weather and a very large crowd.

Taylor McFerrin(son of Bobby) opened, playing mostly electric piano with a bassist(acoustic & electric) and drummer. He played mostly groove stuff that was good for awhile but tended to get repetitive. A couple of times he did a little human beatbox stuff and he brought out a rapper for one tune(She was very good and I’m not a hiphop fan). Overall, he’s a young guy who shows promise and I’d like to hear where he is in another year or two- could be very very cool, a mixture of funk/jazz/hiphop that’s not locked into a static groove.

Next up was Marc Ribot and Ceramic Dog, Ribot’s(skewed) take on rock music. What Ribot’s group played was akin to taking rock music and twisting it like a pretzel- his own bent take on rock. For the most part it was very good, with Ribot playing some excellent guitar solos, but it seemed as if the band was a bit stiff, like they needed some more rehearsal, but overall enjoyable.

Finally MMW hit the stage, and they wasted no time in locking into grooves and playing the hell out of them. They seemed to be pretty fired up, probably from the large and enthusiastic crowd at Prospect Park. Whatever the reason,they were tight while grooving really did something with the grooves rather than just sinking into them and plodding along.

About halfway through their set MMW brought out Marc Ribot, and he stayed onstage for the rest of the set. In this context Ribot was a sideman, and it seemed to liberate him. His playing was mind-bending & jaw-dropping, playing a longggg solo on every tune and ratcheting the intensity up quite a few notches. Steve Bernstein also played a few tunes on slide trumpet and he fit like a glove into the music and played some beautiful(and subtle) accompaniment to some of the soloists.

So in the space of 4 months I’ve seen Marc Ribot in three different situations- with John Zorn as part of a “Downtown Allstars band”(Joey Baron, Trevor Dunn, Jamie Saft, Cyro Baptista, et al, with ceramic Dog and with MMW. I’m liking his playing more and more.

I'm getting ready to hear the second set of the Deep Blue Organ Trio. Caught the end of the first set--very enthusiastic and responsive audience. Mark S. is here too- always good to see him in the house. I'm not the only one wishing Joe were here-- Bobby Broom was wondering if he was going to be here tonight. :)

Saw Stevie Wonder perform at the Taste of Chicago, just under 3 hours for free! Of course, the Taste was total madness, the worst I've ever seen with people trying to spread out their huge blankets and then getting trampled. So I had to stand the whole time and watch on a large screen. Still a great show with a so-so sound system (and lots of fans singing along). He closed with Superstitious and unfortunately this was when the sound system crapped out with the bass suddenly overwhelming everything. Still totally worth it.

Then I walked over to Millenium Park for another free show - Orchestra Baobab, but I will have to write that up later.

Saw Stevie Wonder perform at the Taste of Chicago, just under 3 hours for free! ... Then I walked over to Millenium Park for another free show - Orchestra Baobab, but I will have to write that up later.

To reiterate, Stevie was great. What a show with pretty much all the hits and some more obscure songs. Millenium Park was a nice break though, much more relaxed and in fact there were quite a number of seats for the Orchestra Baobab. Since I had been standing for roughly 3 hours, I grabbed a seat. I thought I would relax for the whole show, but they were pretty infectuous and the music was clearly meant to be danced to. Then three young African women started dancing in an open section near me and I couldn't resist the opportunity to pretend I was in Dakar at some all-night celebration so I danced (badly for the rest of the show). This show went on for just a bit over 90 minutes. So a pretty great night, particularly with the weather cooperating.

on saturday i went to the final night of the place that offered live jazz three minutes from my home four nights a week... missed that opportunity far to often... laugh at me but that was the first time i actually heard an organ group live, what a great experience... they played "soul jazz standards" (The jamfs are comin, Sugar, Jive Samba...)

the band was

Thomas Kimmerle (Tenor)

Mäx Melters (Alto)

Oscar Kliewe (Trumpet)

Bernd Wurzenrainer (Organ)

Stephan Drechsler (Drums)

and special guest Michael Heupel on flute

heupel was clearly the biggest name (or the only bigger name, even locally), though someone i'd rather have expected with three finnish harps than with an organ group... he did that roland kirk, singing into the flute, thing several times (also the first time i ever heard that - and then with organ...)... don't have much to say after all... they were all great but clearly the stand-out for me was alto player Max Melters... depressing that someone who can play like that and who must have been around for decades has less hits on google than me - hope this means he has a decent day job :)

Edited by Niko

Last night it was Lucinda Williams at the MN Zoo.

Tonight it is Bootsy Collins performing "A Tribute to the Godfather of Soul" featuring Phelps Catfish Collins, Jabo Starks, Clyde Stubblefield, Johnny Griggs, Bart Anderson Byrd, Tony Wilson, etc.

There has been talk that Fred Wesley will be there as well.

This wasn't exactly last night, but I saw Iron Maiden in Maryland on June 18.

This was part of their Somewhere Back In Time - World Tour '08 in Columbia, Maryland, at the Merriweather Post Pavilion.

Setlist:

01. Intro - Churchill's Speech

02. Aces High

03. 2 Minutes to Midnight

04. Revelations

05. The Trooper

06. Wasted Years

07. The Number of the Beast

08. Run to the Hills

09. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

10. Powerslave

11. Heaven Can Wait

12. Can I Play With Madness?

13. Fear of the Dark

14. Iron Maiden

-----------------------------

15. Moonchild

16. The Clairvoyant

17. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Quote on tour on the web: "IRON MAIDEN's Somewhere Back In Time - World Tour '08 trek revisits the band's incredible history by focusing almost entirely on the '80s in both choice of songs played and the stage set, which is based around the legendary Egyptian production of the 1984-85 Powerslave tour. This is arguably be the most elaborate and spectacular show the band have ever presented, and includes some key elements of their Somewhere In Time tour of 1986/7, such as the Cyborg Eddie.""

My comments: the concert was great fun. Amidst the ornate sets singer Bruce Dickinson changed costumes a few times and for "Powerslave" even wore a mask like he wore on the '80's tours, somewhat akin to the ones Peter Gabriel used to wear in Genesis. The show is a kind of revival presentation they're doing until their new album comes out and they start touring that, Bruce said. They played material from their classic albums from 1983-1992 mainly, with a few earlier songs. I was very happy to hear them play some of my favorites, especially "Revelations": "Our earthly leaders faulter/Our people drift and die…"

Edited by HWright

I'm getting ready to hear the second set of the Deep Blue Organ Trio. Caught the end of the first set--very enthusiastic and responsive audience. Mark S. is here too- always good to see him in the house. I'm not the only one wishing Joe were here-- Bobby Broom was wondering if he was going to be here tonight. :)

Rachel, nice to see you as well...out on the town going solo! All sets were a blast...Chris Foreman is one bad dude!!! Going to see Mel Rhyne tonight......and Charles McPherson this Sunday.

m

Guest Bill Barton

Not exactly "last night" (by a relatively long stretch) but Wayne Horvitz Gravitas Quartet at Chapel Performance space last Saturday was superb! By all means check this group out in live performance when you have a chance. The word "unique" is thrown about rather freely these days but this group of world-class players merits it.

Sara Schoenbeck took a solo during this performance that totally blew me away. You certainly won't hear too many bassoonists who improvise, especially on this level. Remarkable...

Gravitas

thanks for the support rostasi, I initially did not intend to go.

It was a great night. The antic theatre was packed, even overpacked. The first 2 hours set with Sonny was terrific : Sonny please, his classic tunes and some old standards (In a sentimental mood, ...). Kobie Watkins on drums was great, it's always a pleasure to hear Cranshaw, inspired solos by Sonny, even

Bobby Broom solos did not annoy me.

Cheek to cheek

rollins1.jpg

The second set was less interesting. Extremely long solos

not as much inspired as in the first set, but still enjoyable.

rollins2.jpg

A big surprise was a little gig in a small club after the show led by Steve Grossman on ts. A quintet with a great young itialian on ts and an excellentissimo Alain Jean-Marie on piano :excited:

grossman.jpg

Indeed! The Vegas (Laz and Les) sure know how to throw a summer party. Great setting, music, food and beer. Some thanks should be extended to Lazaro Sr. for the fine food.

The Marsh "brothers" and Dick Reynolds were very fine and it was a treat to see/hear Ronnie Gardiner.

Quick, name a drummer who has played with Albert Ayler and Arno Marsh!

Thanks again for a summer highlight.

This afternoon at the Wigan Jazz Festival I saw veteran British tenorman and clarinettist Vic Ash with a quintet which included ex-Ronnie Scott pianist John Critchinson and former Oscar Peterson drummer Martin Drew. In the audience was an admiring Simon Spillett, a good forty years Vic's junior, who was persuaded to sit in for three numbers in the second set. So we had two generations of British tenor playing, Vic drawing directly on Bird and Pres and Simon on the same two, but mediated through the influence of Tubby Hayes. A great session!