What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw last night, the very fine alto sax player David Binney play in duet with a pianist i've never heard of prior to this evening;John Escreet, from his accent would guess that he's british. Anyway, beatiful set of about 90 minutes, great compositions , mostly ballads, they did a few covers among them a very spirited version of Twinkle-Tinkle.

Great music and i found a guy that may be worth checking out in Escreet.

The Rev Al Grits Green in town tomorrow

I wonder if he will preach on Sunday

Will it be your first time seeing him? I would love to hear how it turned out.

Didn't make the show

i saw the Rev about 2/3 years ago when he came to tucson

Tomorrow night - Tower Of Power

Next Friday - Mary Wilson and the Funk Bros

I am going to the mary wilson show

I went to the annual Chile Pepper Fiesta yesterday at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. Of course, loads of chile peppers, hot sauce, spicy food, etc. They also had a tent with a stage and music. I caught a full set of a singer named Falu, who dubs herself the 'Hindi Indie' and her music combines rock + Indian music. She's got a great voice and she's quite a good singer, too. I enjoyed the set so much I bought her cd. While not quite as good as she is live, the cd has some very good moments. here's a link to her website:

http://www.falumusic.com/

Here's two youtube clips:

..not tonight but this weekend....Fred Anderson, Nicole Mitchell, Henry Johnson, Corey Wilkes, Willie Pickens and Chris Potter in Chicago.

m

Ah yes, the Hyde Park Jazz Festival Saturday. It was great, perfect weather, lots of nice venues and many excellent acts. It was one of the best sets I've ever seen by Henry Johnson's Organ Express (they started with Stanley Turrentine/Jimmy Smith's "A Subtle One" and hearing Chris Foreman on a B-3 with two Leslies is always a treat), Chicago Jazz Orchestra (with Dan Trudell on piano) was a treat, John Wright was enjoyable if not especially adventurous as usual and the Greatest Guitars set with Henry Johnson, Buddy Fambro and Curtis Robinson was fantastic. According to today's paper, there were 15K people there. My only caveat would be that with the growing crowds, it's not too tough to wander during the afternoon, but it's best to stake out a venue in the late afternoon/early evening and just stay there; the lines get too long to try to jump around. (Getting into the Checkerboard at 8 PM for the last two sets there was hopeless and when we came out of International House before the jam (it was after midnight and I admit it, aging is a b*tch, especially after over ten hours of festivities) it didn't look like there was any way everyone lined up for the jam was going to squeeze in. This may be one of those events where success causes as many problems as it provides answers. But it's well worth looking out for next year.

Edited by rshurman

..not tonight but this weekend....Fred Anderson, Nicole Mitchell, Henry Johnson, Corey Wilkes, Willie Pickens and Chris Potter in Chicago.

m

Ah yes, the Hyde Park Jazz Festival Saturday. It was great, perfect weather, lots of nice venues and many excellent acts. It was one of the best sets I've ever seen by Henry Johnson's Organ Express (they started with Stanley Turrentine/Jimmy Smith's "A Subtle One" and hearing Chris Foreman on a B-3 with two Leslies is always a treat), Chicago Jazz Orchestra (with Dan Trudell on piano) was a treat, John Wright was enjoyable if not especially adventurous as usual and the Greatest Guitars set with Henry Johnson, Buddy Fambro and Curtis Johnson was fantastic. According to today's paper, there were 15K people there. My only caveat would be that with the growing crowds, it's not too tough to wander during the afternoon, but it's best to stake out a venue in the late afternoon/early evening and just stay there; the lines get too long to try to jump around. (Getting into the Checkerboard at 8 PM for the last two sets there was hopeless and when we came out of International House before the jam (it was after midnight and I admit it, aging is a b*tch, especially after over ten hours of festivities) it didn't look like there was any way everyone lined up for the jam was going to squeeze in. This may be one of those events where success causes as many problems as it provides answers. But it's well worth looking out for next year.

Henry Johnson's show was nice; got some great shots as well. I left with one tune to go as I wanted to get over to see Fred Anderson at the Hyde Park Art Center which I think was the furthest venue away from DuSable....nice as well; I love Fred!!!

Also saw Corey Wilkes with Kahil El Zabar....fun as well.

m

I went to the annual Chile Pepper Fiesta yesterday at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. Of course, loads of chile peppers, hot sauce, spicy food, etc. They also had a tent with a stage and music.

Who cares about the music? Tell us about the FOOD!! :g

Well, OK, they had various and sundry large pots of chili, vegetarian, Brooklyn(don't know what makes it specifically Brooklyn- dese, dem and dose?), etc. I am a native Brooklynite who never lived anywhere esle, so I got a cup of Brooklyn chili and it was verrrry good, spicy but not overwhelming. I also bought two spice rubs from the 'Elephants Hate Chili' folks, a bag of chili peppers, a spice rub from some Guyanese folks(I tried their hot sauce and it was incendiary!!!) and a jar of chutney.

I made some chicken cutlets with the 'EHC' rubs and they were excellent. I'm glad I bought them because the jars of spice rub were $5.00 each, but on their website it's $5.99 with $6.00 shipping(They're in Africa)! I also made some chili with some ground beef, small pieces of flank steak, kidney and cannelinni(sp) beans and used some of the chili peppers I bought. I also made vegtarian chili for my wife and used more of the chili peppers. On Sunday I made curried chicken and cauliflower and used more chili peppers. I'm thinking about how to use more chili peppers for tomorrow's dinner. Sorry to derail the thread, back to live shows...

Saw Lionel Loueke and Richard Bona at the Allen Room at Jazz at Lincoln Center last Saturday evening - part of their new Duo Tones series. It was our first trip to JALC and to the rather amazing Allen Room. I must say that the space and the sound were both superb for this mostly quite initimate concert.

I have heard both of these artists on multiple recordings (their own and with others.) I have enjoyed, especially Loueke's recordings ... albeit yet with Bona, better described as elements of his recordings, I was intrigued that this setting might actually bring out that which I had found interesting in each of their musics. We were rewarded with a beautiful hour of music. Combining elements of African, Jazz and even a tiny bit of Funk sneaking in there, the music was very creative, intelligent and even quite fun!

The amazing part was that these tickets were via a discount theater club to which my wife belongs. Regular price was $67.50 each (ya gotta love NYC) and via the club they were $4.50 each! Now, that was a steal for an evening like this one. Their motivation worked though; eventhough we were members at JALC for the previous two years, as noted, this was the first time we had gone. I will not repeat that mistake and will go again soon in the future.

As an FYI, the other two events in this Duo Tones series are:

Roy Hargrove & Cedar Walton

January 9 & 10, 2009

McCoy Tyner & Ravi Coltrane

May 15 & 16, 2009

It is an especially amazing place to see and hear this sort of music.

Edited by freejazz2020

Saw last saturday saw a formation led by fine saxophonist Chet Doxas including his brother Jim on drums and a bassist that i don't remember his name yhe band had a guest Tim Hagans on trumpet.

Going to see an intriguing trio next saturday night on piano Steve Kuhn, on bass Steve Swallow and on drums Billy Drummond, little bit curious to see them how they gel together.

Last night I went to check out the msu student jam at a local cafe... and Henry Butler showed up! He sat in at the piano accompanied by Randy Gilespie and Wes Anderson. Fun; he's a nutty player.

A few years back, I saw him perform a solo concert on piano and vocals at one of the local colleges. He was impressive.

Mingus Big Band again!! this time in San Pedro. they were absolutely, mind-blowingly, outrageously fabulous last night! cannot begin to believe the talent and maturity of the 17-year old drummer!! he even played one of the pieces from the ridiculously difficult Epitaph for the first time before an audience with what sounded like perfect execution! it was a very exciting evening with a great mix of young players and some great old-timers!