What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 3/8/2024 at 5:48 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I'm heading out early tomorrow morning so I may not be able to post... I am seeing Danilo Perez with John Patitucci & Adam Cruz at the Regattabar tomorrow night. This is my first show at the Regattabar since they reopened post-Covid. I wonder how much it has changed?

I've been going there almost as long as you have. I agree with you that the club itself is still the same. Yea, the hotel is a little better. (Still probably WAY overpriced though....) I'm just very glad it's back. Although Scullers has been consistently around with great artists, I liked the old club before the moved and remodeled it. Other than being tight, I still way prefer the Regattabar.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Enjoy. I’ve seen the trio often plus with guests. I think they are incredible. 

They were indeed great.

They played a Hemphill tune and Berne told a funny story - he’d seen Hemphill playing this tune with Lester Bowie and Don Moye in a venue with 3 people in the audience - Berne, Marty Ehrlich and one other person.  This was the first time Berne and Ehrlich met.

6 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

They were indeed great.

They played a Hemphill tune and Berne told a funny story - he’d seen Hemphill playing this tune with Lester Bowie and Don Moye in a venue with 3 people in the audience - Berne, Marty Ehrlich and one other person.  This was the first time Berne and Ehrlich met.

That Hemphill suite (if it’s the one I’ve heard them play twice) is very challenging but it sure paid off in the end. Glad you got to see the trio. I’m spoiled as they play most Thursdays in Brooklyn in various configurations. I’m especially grateful to be able to see the *great* Tom Rainey live so often with Berne and in many other groups. 

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

Tuesday night at Bird & Beckett Books with the Tim Berne Trio. Gregg Belisle-Chi was amazing. Never seen him before.

Berne2.jpg

Yes / Gregg is very very good by now. He was good early last year. Now he’s getting to a new level. Plus Tim & Tom are grand masters. 

I had a blast in New York City these last few days. Maria Schneider's orchestra was phenomenal and I had great seats at Birdland. Afterward, we headed to Mezzrow and saw pianist Wilfie Williams. Mezzrow is a tiny club. I don't know how they make any money in that place as it looks like it has about 35 seats. But at the same time - what a great club! The acoustics are really good and the band is right there, a few feet from us.

Friday night at Smoke with One For All & George Coleman was also a fun time. Again, I had great seats. The club came out of Covid as a "dinner club", which turned out to be a good, albeit expensive thing, as it allowed us to meet the band members before the show. What a great bunch of guys. After the Smoke show (:)), we again headed down to Mezzrow for Roberta Picket. Unfortunately, this time we got there too late to get seats so we stood in the back, outside the listening room. Acoustics were (obviously) not as good. But what we heard was some great playing, especially by bassist Andy McKee.

This past Thursday to Sunday,  I attended my fifth Big Ears Festival in Knoxville, Tennessee. It was a fantastically fun experience once again.

Opening Night:

Henry Threadgill's Very Very Circus. Mr Threadgill did not play in this band, which included Marcus Rojas, Gene Lake and Brandon Ross. Started off a little slow, but was definitely in sync by the last 45 minutes or so, once they started featuring  Brandon Ross on guitar.

Charles Lloyd Quartet, with Jason Moran, Larry Grenadier and Eric Harland: Mr. Lloyd is 86 and still going strong. A very fine concert of music from his new recording.

Friday;

Jason Moran and the Harlem Hellfighters. This was another top notch concert, an impressionistic dedication to James Reese Europe.

Henry Threadgill and Zooid: Henry Threadgill did play and lead the group in this concert. An extremely welcome opportunity to hear his unique alto sax at length. Fabulously eccentric music.

Christian McBride Quintet: Back towards a more mainstream sound, I had never seen the virtuosic Christian McBride in concert before. This concert also introduced me to Nichole Glover on tenor sax. She was extremely impressive in this concert. 

Tomeka Reid Quartet, with Mary Halvorson. Nice quartet set at the Point.

Darcy James Argue's Secret Society: Closing out the day in the fabulous Bijou Theater with an 18 piece big band (plus conductor). Great sound in the Bijou and interesting and complex compositions from the leader. 

Saturday:

Leyla McCalla:  Leyla McCalla is of Hatiian descent, lives in New Orleans, and plays Creole music on guitar/banjo/cello/vocals. Excellent set.

David Virelles: Solo piano from Cuban born virtuoso.

Myra Melford's Fire and Water: Back at the Bijou and featured some of the best live playing I've heard from Mary Halvorson.

Dave Holland Quartet: Great set. Very impressed with pianist Kris Davis in this set. Also with Jaleel Shaw.

Kokoroko: The U.S. debut concert of this London based, Afrobeat/jazz fusion group. Trumpet/trombone front line. A mixed bag but the best songs had their own sound and were quite enjoyable.

Shabaka Hutchings: At the Bijou; no saxophone was played; Shabaka played a variety of flutes (and at the end, clarinet), coupled with harp, an Indian classical vocalist, bass guitar and drums. It was a stunning and extremely beautiful concert.

Sunday:

Air (Marty Ehrlich, Hilliard Greene and Pheeroan Aklaff): Once again, while Henry Threadgill did not play, his music as played by this group was amazing.

Fatoumata Diawara: Great vocalist and guitarist from Mali put on a thrilling concert. 

Joe Henry and Julian Lage: It was enjoyable, if not my usual cup of tea.

Julian Lage and the Speak to Me Band: Another stellar concert. Kris Davis shines again.

Sadly, that was it; until (hopefully) next year

Edited by kh1958

Lots of great shows recently including Chris Cochrane’s dual ensembles, Ches Smith’s Laugh Ash

tonight Mat Maneri’s Ash Quartet with Brandon Lopez, Lucian Ban & the *great* Randy Peterson

tomorrow night Tim Berne’s Paraphrase with Drew Gress & the *great* Tom Rainey

Friday a multiple ensemble gig including Lao Dan in duo with the *great* Chris Corsano

to hear these 3 incredible drummers 3 nights in a row from within 10 feet is a dream turned into reality

then it’s my wonderful life in retirement blessed to live where I live 

still,,,,,

Coming Down the Mountain

No upcoming weather excuses in the forecast (I missed a similar event in February), so...

THE CREATIVE MUSIC STUDIO IMPROVISERS ORCHESTRA PRESENTS 

A BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION & TRIBUTE TO KARL BERGER,

Acclaimed Musician, Composer & CMS Co-Founder  

On the First Anniversary of his Passing

Easter Sunday, March 31, 3-5pm, 

The Handbell Studio, at The Shirt Factory, Kingston NY

March 24, 2024, Woodstock, NY: A special edition of the Creative Music Studio’s popular Creative Improvisers Orchestra, conducted by multi-instrumentalist Peter Apfelbaum and featuring award-winning vocalist/poet Ingrid Sertso Berger, will honor and celebrate its acclaimed co-founder Karl Berger this Easter Sunday, March 31st at the Handbell Studio, Unit #118, at the Shirt Factory, 77 Cornell St., Kingston NY. The Tribute marks the first anniversary of Berger’s passing on Easter Sunday 2023, and falls one day after his Birthday. The audience is invited and encouraged to attend the Open Rehearsal from 3-4pm, with Performance from 4-5pm. Admission is by Donation, and includes refreshments.

Edited by T.D.

10 hours ago, T.D. said:

No upcoming weather excuses in the forecast (I missed a similar event in February), so...

THE CREATIVE MUSIC STUDIO IMPROVISERS ORCHESTRA PRESENTS 

A BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION & TRIBUTE TO KARL BERGER,

Acclaimed Musician, Composer & CMS Co-Founder  

On the First Anniversary of his Passing

Easter Sunday, March 31, 3-5pm, 

The Handbell Studio, at The Shirt Factory, Kingston NY

March 24, 2024, Woodstock, NY: A special edition of the Creative Music Studio’s popular Creative Improvisers Orchestra, conducted by multi-instrumentalist Peter Apfelbaum and featuring award-winning vocalist/poet Ingrid Sertso Berger, will honor and celebrate its acclaimed co-founder Karl Berger this Easter Sunday, March 31st at the Handbell Studio, Unit #118, at the Shirt Factory, 77 Cornell St., Kingston NY. The Tribute marks the first anniversary of Berger’s passing on Easter Sunday 2023, and falls one day after his Birthday. The audience is invited and encouraged to attend the Open Rehearsal from 3-4pm, with Performance from 4-5pm. Admission is by Donation, and includes refreshments.

Any idea who the musicians are in the orchestra?

On 3/26/2024 at 9:57 PM, kh1958 said:

This past Thursday to Sunday,  I attended my fifth Big Ears Festival in Knoxville, Tennessee. It was a fantastically fun experience once again.

Opening Night:

Henry Threadgill's Very Very Circus. Mr Threadgill did not play in this band, which included Marcus Rojas, Gene Lake and Brandon Ross. Started off a little slow, but was definitely in sync by the last 45 minutes or so, once they started featuring  Brandon Ross on guitar.

Charles Lloyd Quartet, with Jason Moran, Larry Grenadier and Eric Harland: Mr. Lloyd is 86 and still going strong. A very fine concert of music from his new recording.

Friday;

Jason Moran and the Harlem Hellfighters. This was another top notch concert, an impressionistic dedication to James Reese Europe.

Henry Threadgill and Zooid: Henry Threadgill did play and lead the group in this concert. An extremely welcome opportunity to hear his unique alto sax at length. Fabulously eccentric music.

Christian McBride Quintet: Back towards a more mainstream sound, I had never seen the virtuosic Christian McBride in concert before. This concert also introduced me to Nichole Glover on tenor sax. She was extremely impressive in this concert. 

Tomeka Reid Quartet, with Mary Halvorson. Nice quartet set at the Point.

Darcy James Argue's Secret Society: Closing out the day in the fabulous Bijou Theater with an 18 piece big band (plus conductor). Great sound in the Bijou and interesting and complex compositions from the leader. 

Saturday:

Leyla McCalla:  Leyla McCalla is of Hatiian descent, lives in New Orleans, and plays Creole music on guitar/banjo/cello/vocals. Excellent set.

David Virelles: Solo piano from Cuban born virtuoso.

Myra Melford's Fire and Water: Back at the Bijou and featured some of the best live playing I've heard from Mary Halvorson.

Dave Holland Quartet: Great set. Very impressed with pianist Kris Davis in this set. Also with Jaleel Shaw.

Kokoroko: The U.S. debut concert of this London based, Afrobeat/jazz fusion group. Trumpet/trombone front line. A mixed bag but the best songs had their own sound and were quite enjoyable.

Shabaka Hutchings: At the Bijou; no saxophone was played; Shabaka played a variety of flutes (and at the end, clarinet), coupled with harp, an Indian classical vocalist, bass guitar and drums. It was a stunning and extremely beautiful concert.

Sunday:

Air (Marty Ehrlich, Hilliard Greene and Pheeroan Aklaff): Once again, while Henry Threadgill did not play, his music as played by this group was amazing.

Fatoumata Diawara: Great vocalist and guitarist from Mali put on a thrilling concert. 

Joe Henry and Julian Lage: It was enjoyable, if not my usual cup of tea.

Julian Lage and the Speak to Me Band: Another stellar concert. Kris Davis shines again.

Sadly, that was it; until (hopefully) next year

Saw several of those shows, too.

These two back to back was an astounding 2 hours of music!

Myra Melford's Fire and Water: Back at the Bijou and featured some of the best live playing I've heard from Mary Halvorson. [Agreed about Mary's performance! Especially the back and forth improv she had with the drummer, Leslie Mok.]
Dave Holland Quartet: Great set. Very impressed with pianist Kris Davis in this set. Also with Jaleel Shaw. [Agreed again. The Tony Williams-like intensity of Nasheet Waits was astounding, as well. Fortunately I get to see them again at SFJAZZ in May.]

Friday at SFJAZZ

RAVI COLTRANE: PHAROAH SANDERS TRIBUTE
W/ JOE LOVANO, TOMOKI SANDERS, DAVID VIRELLES, DEZRON DOUGLAS,  & JOHNATHAN BLAKE

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

Saw several of those shows, too.

These two back to back was an astounding 2 hours of music!

Myra Melford's Fire and Water: Back at the Bijou and featured some of the best live playing I've heard from Mary Halvorson. [Agreed about Mary's performance! Especially the back and forth improv she had with the drummer, Leslie Mok.]
Dave Holland Quartet: Great set. Very impressed with pianist Kris Davis in this set. Also with Jaleel Shaw. [Agreed again. The Tony Williams-like intensity of Nasheet Waits was astounding, as well. Fortunately I get to see them again at SFJAZZ in May.]

Friday at SFJAZZ

RAVI COLTRANE: PHAROAH SANDERS TRIBUTE
W/ JOE LOVANO, TOMOKI SANDERS, DAVID VIRELLES, DEZRON DOUGLAS,  & JOHNATHAN BLAKE

When someone agrees with me, I start to think I'm not insane.

Mat Maneri’s Quartet was off the chain last night. 2 full sets. Stunning. 

playing on 4/7 in Philly 

23 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

When someone agrees with me, I start to think I'm not insane.

Nasheet Waits is insanely great especially when he elevates to an intensity one didn’t know existed. This happened earlier this year in a group with Darius Jones. Recently also saw him with Peter Evans & Brian Marsella. That night he played a sequence on brushes that was sublime and stunning. 

10 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Mat Maneri’s Quartet was off the chain last night. 2 full sets. Stunning. 

playing on 4/7 in Philly 

Nasheet Waits is insanely great especially when he elevates to an intensity one didn’t know existed. This happened earlier this year in a group with Darius Jones. Recently also saw him with Peter Evans & Brian Marsella. That night he played a sequence on brushes that was sublime and stunning. 

Nasheet Waits is indeed a great drummer. 

11 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Any idea who the musicians are in the orchestra?

Yeah.

No details at the events page https://creativemusic.org/events/,

but I clicked through to the Eventsbrite (purchase tickets) page and got the following. Pleased to see Charlie Burnham, gabby fluke-mogul and Kirk Knuffke, among others.

In Celebration of Karl Berger's Birthday
A Tribute to Karl Berger, acclaimed Musician/Composer & Co-Founder of the Creative Music Studio, on the First Anniversary of his Passing

CREATIVE IMPROVISERS ORCHESTRA March 31st - Celebrating Karl Berger's Birthday
Peter Apfelbaum - conductor, tenor sax, piano Billy Martin - conductor, percussion Ingrid Sertso - voice and poetry Chuck Ver Straeten - voice and poetry Charlie Burnham - violin gabby fluke-mogul - violin Kirk Knuffke - cornet Chris Pasin - trumpet Bob Selcoe - trumpet Bill Horberg - flutes Elsa Nillson - flutes Steve Gorn - bansuri flute, clarinet Sylvain Leroux, Fula flute, flute, qromatica Ilene Marder - flutes Donnie Davis - alto sax Jessica Jones - tenor sax Tony Jones - tenor sax Bill Ylitalo - baritone sax Brittany Anjou - vibraphone, piano Stuart Leigh - guitar Mike Gassmann - guitar Michael Bisio - bass Ken Filiano - bass Tani Tabbal - drums Joakim Lartey - percussion Hollis Headrick - percussion Savia Berger - dance

In honor of Karl Berger, Peter Apfelbaum leads the Creative Music Studio Improvisers Orchestra featuring vocalist Ingrid Sertso. Audience is invited to the open rehearsal from 3-4pm, performance to follow from 4-5pm.

Edited by T.D.