What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Last night, a double feature at the Blue Note--the Bad Plus, followed by Jason Moran and Bandwagon.

I had mixed feelings about the Bad Plus, some of their songs left me cold, but several were quite good, so by the end of the set I liked them pretty well.

Jason Moran was a whole other story--his set as simply brilliant, confirming why he's among my favorites in jazz today. By the end of his set, the Bad Plus was virtually forgotten--it's a good thing they came on first. Damn, that was good, is all I can say.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Jack Baker' from the new CD

I'm envious Weiz!

I was in the car earlier this afternoon and turned on the local jazz station in the middle on this tune. I immediately suspected it was this side, because my first impression was that it sounded like a Trane/Elvin event, except

it was pretty quickly evident that it wasn't Trane or Elvin because: 1) it wasn't Trane or Elvin 2) modern sounding recording 3) harmonic vocabulary related to more current trends, especially from Joey Calderazzo.

All that said though, it's an excellent cut and is tempting me to pick up this side. I'm hoping it shows up at yourmusic.

Tain is playing really well these days. I've enjoyed both of his leader recordings (Citizen Tain and Bar Talk) as well as his various other appearances. He's playin' his ass off.

Speaking of Branford, I'd put him on a short list of players who deal with the idiosyncrasies* of the soprano sax very well.

*had to look up how to spell that one :huh:

Edited by Free For All

Saw the Kurt Rosenwinkel Quintet yesterday. It was a fantastic show. It was my first time seeing Kurt....what an incredible improvisor he is! He had the crowd on its feet during some of his solos, which doesn't happen often at the Jazz Showcase. Mark Turner was struggling during the first set. He kept fidgeting with his horn and was looking frustrated, but he came back very strong in the second set with some really creative and intense solos. The highlight of the evening for me was a ferocious version of "Inner Urge" that went on for about 20 minutes. Check this group out if they play near you! Kevin Hayes was on the piano, which was a nice bonus. He gets better and better every time I see him.

my wife and i had dinner last night at an ethiopian restaurant (following a movie called "live and become" - abought ethiopian jews and "operation moses").

live music by a local band called "mantra" - sax, keyboard, electric bass and drums

after the first set i went up and asked about the first song which vaguely sounded like coltrane - i was told " oh yeah that was a little afro blue, a little alabama and some other coltrane that i mixed in"

i did not offer him a record deal.

:cool:

Motian, Frisell and Lovano and the Vanguard tonight.

I've had a slight negative bias towards Lovano for some time. That was completely destroyed tonight ... shame on me :)

I was at that show.

I heard Jeff Beck last Monday, not jazz, but a kick ass show all the same.

Last night at Merkin Hall (nice venue), a Tribute to Don Cherry--first a short set by the Dave Douglas Quartet (with J.D. Allen on tenor, Henry Grimes, and Andrew Cyrille), next a short set by Roy Campbell (Mixashawn on sax, William Parker, and Hamid Drake)--both sets were intense and inspired. Then both groups combined to perform Don Cherry's A Symphony for Improvisers, recorded for Blue Note 40 years ago--a very inspiring and powerful performance, with Henry Grimes of course being on the recording.

Last night at Merkin Hall (nice venue), a Tribute to Don Cherry--first a short set by the Dave Douglas Quartet (with J.D. Allen on tenor, Henry Grimes, and Andrew Cyrille), next a short set by Roy Campbell (Mixashawn on sax, William Parker, and Hamid Drake)--both sets were intense and inspired. Then both groups combined to perform Don Cherry's A Symphony for Improvisers, recorded for Blue Note 40 years ago--a very inspiring and powerful performance, with Henry Grimes of course being on the recording.

Wow, that sounds like it was great! If I'd have known, I might have come up from Corpus for that show.

I also missed the Dave Holland show in San Antonio last night (and the Los Lobos show at Antone's in Austin). Was a good weekend for music in TX!

Wow, that sounds like it was great! If I'd have known, I might have come up from Corpus for that show.

I also missed the Dave Holland show in San Antonio last night (and the Los Lobos show at Antone's in Austin). Was a good weekend for music in TX!

Actually, I'm visiting New York for a few days, so it would be alot longer trip!

Doh! :w

I got flustered when I saw all those names I guess, didn't notice the location. My bad!

Still looks like it was a fantastic show... :tup

It really was fantastic.

Saw another very interesting one tonight, my last night here--Don Preston (of the early Mothers of Invention and who later recorded with John Carter), at The Monkey. The club was very small--there were actually only 21 seats. The room had a five channel sound system (3 in front, 2 in rear). Don Preston played a couple of solo keyboard pieces, in an avant garde jazz vein, that were quite good. The rest was a trio, with Preston on various electronic keyboards, Andre Choimondeley on guitar, and Cheri Hosne on some sort of electronic percussion keyboards. I'm not sure what genre of music this was--improvised electronica? It sounded really amazing in the small club, with a great sound system coming at you from every direction.

Edited by kh1958

Last night at Yoshi's in Oakland: Aaron Goldberg's trio with Reuben Rogers and the incredible Eric Harland. Exceptional modern jazz piano trio music...highlights from the set I saw included a clever, fractured arrangement of Epistrophy, an excellent new Goldberg tune ("The Rules"), and a gorgeous Jobim ballad. It was an extremely energetic show -- the audience was really feeling it, and the band sounded incredibly tight. Josh Redman showed up and sat in for a set closing I Mean You that was downright ferocious (and I'm not that much of a Redman fan in general). At the end of the set the crowd demanded an encore, cheering well after the lights had gone up and the band was already chatting to friends in the audience. The trio + Redman obliged. Good night.

• 2 weeks later...

I post in and check rarely this thread.

But I've had an interesting week until now:

On last Tuesday I saw in Gent (Gand), Belgium:

THE DAVE BURRELL TRIO (MICHAEL FORMANEK/ GREGORIO E. BROWN)

Followed the same night in the same town by THE KRIS WANDERS UNIT (KRIS WANDERS, TS, JOHANNES BAUER, TB, PETER JACQUEMYN, B, MARK SANDERS, PERC).

KRIS WANDERS is a Dutch tenor sax who plays (and sometimes) recorded with GLOBE UNITY, FRED VAN HOVE, PETER BRÖTZMAN before moving suddenly to AUSTRALIA (MELBOURNE) where he has vanish in the shadow.

People (and part of his family) believe he was dead.

Then suddenly he pops up few weeks ago, contact some people and put this incredible band to tour EUROPE the two last week!

I was glad to catch this great concert.

The guy looks like PETER BRÖTZMANN and plays at the same level!

The concert was incredible. I was back at the beginning of the seventies but without an once of nostalgia as the music wasn't particularly cultivating the past: MODERN FREE JAZZ/ EUROPEAN IMPRO for the new generation! The band should record on Monday or Tuesday in a studio in BRUSSELS. I will be there.

Last night in LILLE (FRANCE) in a place called LA MALTERIE (a desaffected place where they was long time ago make beer) I've seen the NEW YORK DOWN TOWN ALL STAR QUINTET featuring HERB ROBERTSON, TIM BERNE, SYLVIE COURVOISIER, MARK DRESSER, TOM RAINEY for another stuning concert!

And tomorrow there's some more LIVE music to come.

I post in and check rarely this thread.

But I've had an interesting week until now:

On last Tuesday I saw in Gent (Gand), Belgium:

THE DAVE BURRELL TRIO (MICHAEL FORMANEK/ GREGORIO E. BROWN)

Followed the same night in the same town by THE KRIS WANDERS UNIT (KRIS WANDERS, TS, JOHANNES BAUER, TB, PETER JACQUEMYN, B, MARK SANDERS, PERC).

KRIS WANDERS is a Dutch tenor sax who have play and (sometimes) recorded with GLOBE UNITY, FRED VAN HOVE, PETER BRÖTZMAN before moving suddenly to AUSTRALIA (MELBOURNE) where he has vanished in the shadow.

People (and part of his family) believe that he was dead.

Then suddenly he pops up few weeks ago, contact some people and put this incredible band together to tour EUROPE the two last weeks!

I was more than glad to catch this great concert.

The guy looks like PETER BRÖTZMANN and PLAYS at the same level!

The concert was incredible. I was back at the beginning of the seventies but without an once of nostalgia as the music wasn't particularly living in the past: MODERN FREE JAZZ/ EUROPEAN IMPRO for the new generation! The band should record on Monday or Tuesday in a studio in BRUSSELS. I will be there.

Last night in LILLE (FRANCE) in a place called LA MALTERIE (a desaffected place where they was long time ago making beer) I've seen the NEW YORK DOWN TOWN ALL STAR QUINTET featuring HERB ROBERTSON, TIM BERNE, SYLVIE COURVOISIER, MARK DRESSER, TOM RAINEY for another stuning concert!

And tomorrow there's some more LIVE music to come.

Edited by P.L.M

Randy, Jim, Ron, and I went to the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia to check out a student recital. The third performer on the bill was a 14 year-old boy from Shanghai named Hao Chen Zhang, playing the Fantasie in C major, Op. 17, by Robert Shumann. I liked this guy the moment he walked out on stage; just the way he presented himself, and the way he prepared himself at the piano. But holy shit - I was completely unprepared for those opening chords. He just electrified the whole room with his touch. Such incredible depth, power, and emotion. It was absolutely thrilling. He seemed totally at one with the music, and I didn't hear one single moment of hesitation, or notice any break in his state of concentration. Dynamics, tone, clarity, pacing; this kid had it all. The two movements that ended softly felt to me like the deepest of blessings: Amen. Unbelievable.

Afterwards, we went to Ortleib's to see Bootsy Barnes, with Byron Landrum on drums. Swinging hard in the tradition. Not a bad night of music, especially since it was all for free!

Tuesday night I saw the Mingus Orchestra at the Iridium. This is a 10 piece band--with two saxophones, trumpet, trombone, bassoon, bass clarinet, French Horn, guitar, bass and drums--They tend to perform the more orchestral Mingus pieces, and it was indeed a pleasure to hear, among other works, Half Mast Inhibition, the Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife, Noon Night, Just For Laughs Sap, Jelly Roll, Eclipse, Noddin' Ya Head Blues, and a few other great Mingus compositions performed live.

Wednesday night--James Carter Organ Trio at Birdland. I enjoyed this immensely as well.