What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worth hearing, but bring earplugs. His philosophy is to play as LOUD AS POSSIBLE.

Bertrand.

Loudness was not an issue. Yes, he is a very powerful player on all four reeds he plays. Last night, however, as one of the people I was with commented, he did allow some melodic content to emerge every so oftem. Probably enough to at least show some variety in his playing for me. In any event, nothing I heard resonated enough to turn me into a Brotzmann fan, but I am glad I made it to the show.

In any event, nothing I heard resonated enough to turn me into a Brotzmann fan, but I am glad I made it to the show.

I know the feeling. I've enjoyed his alto playing more than his tenor playing, but I'm no fan. If I want to hear someone blowing his brains out I'll stick with Pharoah Sanders at his most extreme.

Just got back from Scofield, Swallow, & Stewart at Yoshi's. Very enjoyable and the band was obviously having a good time. Check 'em out if they come your way.

Well, they're not coming my way, but you convinced me anyway - I'm gonna check 'em out at the Blue Note in NYC on 6 Oct! :tophat:

Not tonight, but I'm determined to get out to more live music after having heard so much wonderful stuff in the summer:

Next Friday: Mike Walker (guitar) and Iain Dixon (sax) - two tremendous players who are hardly known in the UK let alone in the world jazz scene as they are based in't North. First saw them in the back room of a pub with a mid-sized Mike Gibbs band about 20 years back. Sheffield Jazz gig.

Nov 17th: Egberto Gismonti/John Law Trio at the London Jazz Festival - really looking forward to that one. Haven't been to London for a good 6 or 7 years. Will use it to take in the Greenwich Maritime Museum as well - I'm keen to see the 18th/19thC paintings there.

Bev - do you know who is in the John Law Trio? I havn't heard his name much over the past many years and he remains one of the my favorite pianists.

Says Asaf Sirkis (drums) and Youri Gouloubev (bass). Though I think things switch round.

His recent records are very inside and contemplative. I missed him last year locally but recally a stunning performance in Bath some years back.

Looking forward to hearing him again. He has quite a discography built up, given that he's a virtual unknown even in Britain:

http://www.nday.co.uk/discography.html

Just got back from Scofield, Swallow, & Stewart at Yoshi's. Very enjoyable and the band was obviously having a good time. Check 'em out if they come your way.

Well, they're not coming my way, but you convinced me anyway - I'm gonna check 'em out at the Blue Note in NYC on 6 Oct! :tophat:

It should be fun, Erik!

Tonight, SFJazz:

The Music of Thelonious Monk

Listening Party with Larry Goldings

Tomorrow:

Wilco in Palm Desert

It should be fun, Erik!

Tonight, SFJazz:

The Music of Thelonious Monk

Listening Party with Larry Goldings

Tomorrow:

Wilco in Palm Desert

Bring ear plugs for Wilco - seriously!!