What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

David - I am very interested to hear your take on the Malaby trio with Parker and Ferber.

As some might know, I see Malaby play often as he is one of the great tenor players in the game today - I just saw him with John Hebert's band on October 14th, and he was again stupendous depite the band sometimes not playing with type of energy and verve they were capable of.

I doubt that the Taramindo Trio would have that problem if Ferber is as good as Malaby told me he is :rolleyes:

The Tamarindo trio was excellent. It was very free-flowing and all three members were on the money. They appeared to be totally keyed into one another, as if they'd been playing together for years. I've only seen Malaby once before, with Ralph Alessi. That was a fine group -- and I really dig Alessi -- but in this trio Malaby played with much more freedom and power. I was particularly impressed with his soprano work. (IMO most sax players who double on soprano sound much better on their primary ax.)

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David - I am very interested to hear your take on the Malaby trio with Parker and Ferber.

As some might know, I see Malaby play often as he is one of the great tenor players in the game today - I just saw him with John Hebert's band on October 14th, and he was again stupendous depite the band sometimes not playing with type of energy and verve they were capable of.

I doubt that the Taramindo Trio would have that problem if Ferber is as good as Malaby told me he is :rolleyes:

The Tamarindo trio was excellent. It was very free-flowing and all three members were on the money. They appeared to be totally keyed into one another, as if they'd been playing together for years. I've only seen Malaby once before, with Ralph Alessi. That was a fine group -- and I really dig Alessi -- but in this trio Malaby played with much more freedom and power. I was particularly impressed with his soprano work. (IMO most sax players who double on soprano sound much better on their primary ax.)

How long did they play? That might determine whether I'm going to be able to get to the show or not.

Sounds great, though - I'm a little more incentivized now.

Just seen the Karen Sharp Quartet at Royal Northern College of Music.

Karen Sharp (tnr), Nikki Iles (pno), Dave Green (bs), Steve Brown (dms)

Concert hall performance with perfect miking and sound balance. Sat in best seat in the house - middle of 3rd row back from the stage. Some interesting material, including Kenny Werner's "Compensation" and Bill Evans' "Show Type Tune". I'm convinced that Steve Brown is a world class drummer, but I expect few people outside the UK will have heard of him.

Just seen the Karen Sharp Quartet at Royal Northern College of Music.

Karen Sharp (tnr), Nikki Iles (pno), Dave Green (bs), Steve Brown (dms)

Concert hall performance with perfect miking and sound balance. Sat in best seat in the house - middle of 3rd row back from the stage. Some interesting material, including Kenny Werner's "Compensation" and Bill Evans' "Show Type Tune". I'm convinced that Steve Brown is a world class drummer, but I expect few people outside the UK will have heard of him.

Great line-up. I love Nikki Iles - I strongly recommend her trio albums. I recall seeing Dave Green at my first 'real' jazz concert back in '76 with Stan Tracey.

The Karen Sharp album is good too:

41nhTTY30iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last night at Wilmslow: visiting American altoist Greg Abate with British mainstream trumpet stalwart Bruce Adams.

Great session - these two hit it off far better than I'd expected and a backing trio of the most talented and appropriate locals worked up a hell of a swing.

Greg told me there's an album coming out on which he plays baritone with Gary Smulyan recorded two years ago "live in New York on the Hudson". I guess it must be this session:

For Bay Area cats--Friday night (technically tomorrow, but fast approaching)--November 16, 2012, 8:00pm--I'll be releasing a new album at Berkeley's Jazzschool (2087 Addison St). The album is called Taglish--a sort-of essay on Filipino-American life. It's a feature for my group Grex (http://www.grexsounds.com) and a cast of Bay Area veterans--Asian Improv aRts cofounder Francis Wong, Grammy winner/Jim Pepper authority John-Carlos Perea on bass, local powerhouse Jordan Glenn, Moxie bandleader Bill Noertker, and many others. Here's a little preview video I threw together:

http://youtu.be/-ZrFuuOFENs

It was a few weeks ago, but I was blown away by the J. D. Allen Trio when they played in Seattle. Allen sounds good as a sideman but he is awesome when playing his own music. He sounds a little like Trane in the Atlantic period, with some Rollins. His most recent album, "Victory!," is also excellent.

Went along to the South Bank in London yesterday for some marvellous music:

Stonephace Stabbins - a Larry Stabbins group including Zoe Rahman playing Pharaoh Sander-ish jazz. A free foyer event.

The John Law Trio - excellent UK trio. A little on the sweet side with (to my mind) some unnecessary electronics - they weren't obtrusive but you wondered why they were there.

Egberto Gismonti - absolutely breathtaking. He played a good 90 minutes totally solo, half guitar (which seemed to have 3445 strings!), half piano. The guitar playing was mesmerising - I've heard some some technically impressive guitarists in my time but what he did with just about every possibility (incredible use of harmonics, tremendous percussive drive [at one stage sustained with one hand on the body of the guitar whilst his other hand played the strings]) was astounding. Tremendous piano player to boot - some familiar tunes played but virtually every phrase was followed by some sort of variation with little sense of straight repeating of melodies.

What is it with London audiences, though? I don't see this anywhere else - yet again lots of people leaving after two or three numbers. Too indulged? Too rich? Too many other things to do the moment your attention wanders?

What is it with London audiences, though? I don't see this anywhere else - yet again lots of people leaving after two or three numbers. Too indulged? Too rich? Too many other things to do the moment your attention wanders?

Music not what they expected? Very difficult to predict what you're going to hear in a jazz festival today.

Music not what they expected? Very difficult to predict what you're going to hear in a jazz festival today.

Of course.

But I seem to see it every time I go to London for a concert. In Sheffield or Nottingham people usually don't give up the ghost until half time.

Festivals are a bit different - the all-in-one cards tend to encourage dipping in and out.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Of course.

But I seem to see it every time I go to London for a concert. In Sheffield or Nottingham people usually don't give up the ghost until half time.

Festivals are a bit different - the all-in-one cards tend to encourage dipping in and out.

Yes, I've seen people with that sort of card at week-long or weekend-long festivals in Wigan and Southport sitting on the front row reading newspapers while the musicians are playing! :o