What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I am probably going to catch the Odean Pope - Andrew Cyrille duo.

post-mortem: I've seen Andrew in concert 3 times, and each time I'm more convinced that he's one of the greats. He was awesome tonight. Odean Pope was good too, but I was expecting him to be a little more "outside".

Guy

Edited by Guy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my wife & i saw bruce hornsby tonight at gusman hall in coral gables, florida.

bruce played solo piano - 2 sets with a short intermission between - over 2 hours of music.

he played some great oldies and he also played some new tunes from his upcoming jazz album with dejohnette & mcbride and his upcoming bluegrass album with ricky scaggs.

great venue, great seats, great music & great company = great evening!

:)

Scofield with Steve Swallow in Helsingborg.

On thursday we saw a storming set by the Kocani Orchestra from Macedonia at the same venue, phew...Balkan brass and the whole theatre reduced to a heathing mass of dancers with the band scattered all over the auditorium.

Edited by Tony Pusey

Saw a two piano recital on Monday night of Joseph and Anthony Parratore playing some Schubert, Camille Saint-Saens' version of Liszt's b minor sonata, Debussy's Prélude pour un après-Midi d'un faune, and a Gershwin concerto. Encores were an Irving Berlin Medley and excerpts of the Jazz Point Suite Dave Brubeck wrote for them - but one of the two brothers simply cannot swing ......

The Liszt sonata they played really well.

Edited by mikeweil

Bob Dylan with the acoustic Foo Fighters

Not too bad of a set list, how was it?

St. Paul, Minnesota

Xcel Energy Center

October 29, 2006

1. Maggie's Farm

2. She Belongs To Me

3. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

4. When The Deal Goes Down

5. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

6. Simple Twist Of Fate

7. Rollin' And Tumblin'

8. Masters Of War

9. Tangled Up In Blue

10. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

11. Highway 61 Revisited

12. Nettie Moore

13. Summer Days

(encore)

14. Thunder On The Mountain

15. Like A Rolling Stone

16. All Along The Watchtower

Edited by Matthew

Bob Dylan with the acoustic Foo Fighters

Not too bad of a set list, how was it?

St. Paul, Minnesota

Xcel Energy Center

October 29, 2006

The show was great. The new songs sounded great and some of the songs I had heard in September sounded different with Stu Kimball playing acoustic most of the night. Denny Freeman is always a blast to hear live.

Last night the Rabih Abou-Khalil Group:

RAK (oud), Luciano Biondini (acc), Michel Godard (tuba), Gavino Murgia (ss,voice), Jarrod Cagwin (d,perc)

Fantastic performance!

Last Sunday, together with twelve other bold souls...

Steve Swell/Gebhard Ullmann Quartet

w/Hilliard Greene (b), Barry Altschul (d)

short - due to obvious lack of interest - but 75 great minutes of music, very interesting compositions, and all four very skilled musicians.

Sonny Rollins

how was the rollins' concert?

It was great! :tup

This was the third time I have seen him perform. The first time was really good, but the second time was disappointing with a little too much solo space for percusionist Kimati Dinizulu. This time he had the usual group, but with Kobie Watkins on drums and Bobby Broom on guitar, which seemed to add a different kind of spark to Sonny. He only played 90 minutes, but it was a solid 90 minutes. His tune selection leaned pretty heavy towards the new CD Sonny, Please.

Sonny Rollins

This was the third time I have seen him perform. The first time was really good, but the second time was disappointing with a little too much solo space for percusionist Kimati Dinizulu. This time he had the usual group, but with Kobie Watkins on drums and Bobby Broom on guitar, which seemed to add a different kind of spark to Sonny. He only played 90 minutes, but it was a solid 90 minutes. His tune selection leaned pretty heavy towards the new CD Sonny, Please.

Wow....Kobie Watkins on drums! Good for him. He's moving up in the world, and he deserves it.

Sonny Rollins

Wow....Kobie Watkins on drums! Good for him. He's moving up in the world, and he deserves it.

Bobby plays with Sonny frequently and it's great to see Kobe on the scene....very good young drummer! Here's a small image of Kobe playing with Broom at the Jazz Kitchen.

m~

Edited by sheldonm

Didn't expect to get to hear some jazz here in Lindau, after listening to the sound samples I'm seriously considering to go see the Tonc Feinig Trio tonight .....

More info and samples on http://www.tonctone.com/.

p.s. decided against it as my wife and myself were a little tired, and the hotel where the event took place appeared to be quite expensive ...

Edited by mikeweil