What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Saw Rabih Abou-Khalil tonight in Wiesbaden, doing a solo oud recital as part of a new concert series "mare nostrum", focussing on mediterranean culture.

He was asked to read poetry between his pieces,which he admitted finding a somewhat odd request for him of Lebanese descent, but solved the problem graciously by reading a lot of Ringelnatz and Morgenstern, two of Germany's funniest poets, whom he likes a lot, and translations of an Arabian classic by Friedrich Rückert (who did the best German Koran translation and wrote more than Goethe).

His playing was very nice, on his custom made oud, which is tuned lower than the classical Arabian lutes.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was incredible. The bow is a weapon in her hands. :ph34r:

Really fine performance - easily the best orchestral concert I've ever seen. I spent much of the first movement of the Sibelius violin concerto with my jaw hanging open. :rlol At the movement's conclusion, I heard a bunch of "wows" from the audience around me, and the room broke out into spontaneous applause, which seemed to delight Chang and the conductor. SO glad I was there. :tup

Tonight I'm off to UCLA's Royce Hall to see the LA version of Kenny Burrell's 75th birthday celebration.

http://www.performingarts.ucla.edu/event.asp?Event_ID=366

Kenny Burrell's 75th

With Pat Metheny, The Gerald Wilson Orchestra, The Jazz Heritage All-Stars, The Kenny Burrell Trio, Russell Malone, Lalo Schifrin, Jeff Clayton, Hubert Laws and some very special surprise guests

Master guitarist, prolific composer and pioneering educator, Kenny Burrell is one of the most respected instrumentalists of our time, lauded not only for his dazzling talent and lyrical sensitivity, but also for his immense contribution to the worlds of jazz and blues. "Duke Ellington’s favorite guitar improviser," Burrell is now in his 28th year at UCLA as Professor of Ethnomusicology and Music, and the director and founder of the Jazz Studies program. In a very special 75th year tribute, guest artists celebrate the long and illustrious career of this "historic figure of American guitar."

Last Night: Jack deJohnette / Foday Musa Suso / Jerome Harris

large_img_masters.jpg

I left with mixed feelings - sound was not optimal and way too loud, and I thought deJohnette's drumming was too busy and not "African" enough for the kora stylings ..... they got along very well personally, and Jerome Harris filled his role graciously, but Jack wailed over the Kora riffs in virtuosic fashion instead of really locking into the groove, which the Kora master carried all by himself.