What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night, I saw a great show at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA: Kenny Werner's Coalition band with Chris Potter as a last minute sub for David Sanchez. They only played about 6 tunes but they were all very well done. I was riveted to my seat for nearly 2 hours by this band. Highly recommended if they come through town. Hopefully, Potter has to keep subbing because he was truly great, although Miguel Zenon gave him a run for his money, especially on his own tune.

Just back from seeing the TSO (and I believe the Mendelssohn Choir) doing Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I don't see it that often (this may be the 2nd time I've seen it live). I had a strange seat that was sort of to the side of the stage, basically overlooking the symphony, though the sound was still decent and not too unbalanced. (Fortunately, the other seats in my subscription are a bit further back.) However, being that close to the choir meant being just surrounded by voices in the 4th movement. It's really hard to describe how overwhelming it was (but in a good way). I doubt I will ever feel the symphony that viscerally again.

I hope they bring it live. Their Clean Feed record is fucking weak.

Lots of clean feed recordings are weak - especially compared to what these musicians can be like live.

I kind of have a feeling that live from a few feet away will be anything but weak. I've been waiting a couple of years to see this band live. I never expect a clean feed recording to capture what a band sounds like live.

Capricorn Climber is awesome live / the recording is stale.

Malaby's Novela is even more incredible than the above band live / the recording is "nice" and maybe a bit exciting at times. Overall nothing more than a three star record.

Berne with Malaby plus Mary Halvorsen - with the great Andrea Parkins and Ches Smith on drums?!?!?

I'm trying to lower the expectations in my head.

We'll Let You Know

It sounds quite a bit more than just "better"

Seeing and hearing musicians of the caliber of Evan Parker or Tony Malaby or Tim Berne or Mary Halvorsen from a few feet away renders the recordings insignificant for weeks or months. Sure they are still enjoyable to listen to - and I loved recordings before I saw any of thus must live.

BUT live is a whole different beast

I could have touched Evan's tenor on the table or his right arm while he was playing the soprano. The SOUND of that tenor or the SOUND of the circular breathing right between my ears seeing him actually creating the music in the spot?!?!?

"Better" is a huge understatement when it comes to comparing the experience of hearing even a great recording as compared to seeing them live, let alone from the first or second row at The Stone

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I hope they bring it live. Their Clean Feed record is fucking weak.

Lots of clean feed recordings are weak - especially compared to what these musicians can be like live.

I kind of have a feeling that live from a few feet away will be anything but weak. I've been waiting a couple of years to see this band live. I never expect a clean feed recording to capture what a band sounds like live.

Capricorn Climber is awesome live / the recording is stale.

Malaby's Novela is even more incredible than the above band live / the recording is "nice" and maybe a bit exciting at times. Overall nothing more than a three star record.

Berne with Malaby plus Mary Halvorsen - with the great Andrea Parkins and Ches Smith on drums?!?!?

I'm trying to lower the expectations in my head.

We'll Let You Know

I'm sure it does sound better in person. And I actually liked the first record (without Berne-- not that that has anything to do with it) a fair bit, but I really did not get what he was going for with Hammered.

I heard These Arches live in June at Firehouse 12. To be honest it did not do a whole heck of a lot for me.

I liked the first album from Ches Smith & The Arches, "Finally Out of My Hands." Don't have "Hammered," but from what I can glean from YT vids, it doesn't seem like a miss. I found a couple of You Tube vids that are, I think, instructive, and at least give an idea of what we are talking about. Personally, I think the performances are quite fine, some hot moments from Malaby and Berne, and evolving over a 6 month period:

http://youtu.be/DHWFSdtAesU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7o48N15fE

I just thought Hammered sounded so soft and mannered. It seemed like perhaps he was going for a heavy sound (some promotional copy mentioned inspiration coming from rock, and I think Ches specifically mentioned his time with Xiu Xiu and The Melvins informing this music), but I could just feel them playing the charts. No fire, no energy .... almost polite sounding. The net effect is the band coming off as outgunned, and I know that everyone involved can bring serious heat. But not on Hammered. (And I don't think I'm missing what they were going for ... and if I did, then, well ... what they were going for was a miss to begin with).

Again, this was just my reaction to this album, though there's plenty other music from NYC today that gives me the same vibes. But I certainly don't write Ches Smith off. His playing in Snakeoil is some of the most inspired and incredible I've ever heard. He really has something going on, especially as a percussionist.

Edited by colinmce

Decompressing from what was one of the most intense 45 minutes of music - a suite called International Who Ha - coming soon in some capacity on some recording that may give a listener far away from the actual band maybe some sort of idea what this band can do.

They did follow it with a short fast groove based piece called Anxiety Disorder which was an apt more traditional ending piece that featured the incredible guitar of Ms. Halvorsen - another one if those combination bass line/rhythm thing that Smith seems quite fond of. Odd that every time I see her, I'm again convinced there is no other guitarist of any stripe I'd rather hear live. Her sound is the most striking of any guitarist I know of.

First set too tight for me maybe I was hoping they would "open it up " until the last 15-20 minutes when they hit a few grooves (with increasing energy and verve) and allowed a few tight space improvisations from the horn players.

Second set a whole different deal. Impossible to describe the tension they built with space and structure. Some if the written materials for Halvorsen were unlike anything I've ever heard. Berne was very involved, Parkins played some of the most draw dropping bass drones things on the accordion and as a whole in many different aspects, the *great* Tony Malaby played everything that is beyond possible within the very unique structures that Smith invented. From gorgeous balladic material to his elbow flapping amazing quick lines all the way to the howls, bursts and shrieks that make him one of a kind.

There was a section towards the end that mirrored the best of EFI that morphed back into thematic material with Berne moving from the front of the space to the back while Tony seemingly invented new music.

Ches Smith when needed provided as powerful a bombing of the kit as exists in this world outside of Gerry Hemingway or Randy Peterson.

The *sound* of the kit, the bells and metal that he created last night were that of a master well beyond his years.

Blessed to see this ensemble live - I can't explain to people who havn't seen a band of this originality and power in a great small room like The Stone how awesome the experience is.

The power is immense when they crank it. The power is immense when they created pure spaces in the music. At these times the energy in the room is palpable. And there is never ANY noise from the audience at The Stone. All that can be heard are sounds from the street. Not sure if there was really a tempo during the suite. All tension, very little release. The tension at times was very very exciting yet almost too much.

Once I dropped what I thought I was looking for in this band (you all know I love roaring wailing improv with the two saxophonists blasting away - alas that is NOT this band) and took them for what they are, I heard a band that is simply like no other - and more worth seeing and hearing live for that aspect of the group.

I won't miss them next time or the next time if at all possible.

Another example of new music that is really new, fresh and although part of me thought is would be some sort of pastiche, it is nothing of that sort.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Thanks Steve for the vivid description of the concert last night. I like what you said about taking them for what they are, instead of what one wants them to be. It's always the result that matters, not the method. I used to get dismayed when I saw the sheet music and compositions come out, because I like that wailing and roaring also. Perhaps the newest free players, Millenialls, who were not around in the 60s and 70s (at least as players) find composition-based performance to be the direction they want to go. Not all, but a fair number. Some good stuff has come out of that approach. I still prefer free improvisation/free jazz, but composition that leaves a lot of space for improvisation works for me. Even through-composition that retains its energy works, but that is a hard trick. People like Ches are trying ambitious projects that mix improvisation, composition, electronics, and rock are probably the wave of the future.

Edited by Leeway

Sounds like a winner. Maybe they should record live!

Maybe but it will never come near the visceral power and sound of being that close on that room and seeing, hearing and feeling it.

The drums of guy like Ches Smith when it gets intense is not duplicated or even approximated by the best recording heard on the best system in the world.

Some of the stuff shook my bones