What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Late to the party but that's a great review Steve. I'd veered away from this band because I'm agnostic about Malaby (forgive me, Steve :)) but this review really makes me want to hear them if only on record

I couldn't agree with you more about the impact of hearing Halvorsen live - she's phenomenal and needs to come over here again soon

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Late to the party but that's a great review Steve. I'd veered away from this band because I'm agnostic about Malaby (forgive me, Steve :)) but this review really makes me want to hear them if only on record

I couldn't agree with you more about the impact of hearing Halvorsen live - she's phenomenal and needs to come over here again soon

Please do check out the video links I posted @3517; a pretty fair representation of what Ches' group is about. Plenty of other live vids from YT also.

I realize I am the exception, but I think what does not move me about These Arches is indeed some of the ingredients in the mix described by Leeway above. Specifically, the rock aspects simply do not appeal to my sensebilities. I suspect it is just that I do not have a background in listening to rock and never formed an appreciation. I can get with an improvisation/free jazz and compositional approach to music, but all the attempts I have heard by any artist incorporating rock aspects just don't really hold my attention. I should also confess that I have not really been overly impressed with Ches Smith. I have heard him live several times and I just don't get it. But then again, that could also be because I have always heard him as coming from a very rockish approach to the drums.

tonight:

Friday, October 3, 2014 - 8:30 pm ($20) and 10 pm ($15)
MICHAEL MUSILLAMI TRIO + KRIS DAVIS
Firehouse 12 - 45 Crown Street - New Haven

tomorrow:

Saturday, October 4, 2014 – 7:30pm - $15
THE MAKANDA PROJECT - Joe Ford, Jason Robinson, Charlie Kohlhase, Kurtis Rivers, Sean Berry, reeds; Eddie Allen , Bill Lowe, Ku-umba Frank Lacy, Jerry Sabatini, brass; Diane Richardson, voice; John Kordalewski, piano, arrangements; John Lockwood, bass and Yoron Israel, drums
Springfield Community Music School - 127 State St. - Springfield, MA

I realize I am the exception, but I think what does not move me about These Arches is indeed some of the ingredients in the mix described by Leeway above. Specifically, the rock aspects simply do not appeal to my sensebilities. I suspect it is just that I do not have a background in listening to rock and never formed an appreciation. I can get with an improvisation/free jazz and compositional approach to music, but all the attempts I have heard by any artist incorporating rock aspects just don't really hold my attention. I should also confess that I have not really been overly impressed with Ches Smith. I have heard him live several times and I just don't get it. But then again, that could also be because I have always heard him as coming from a very rockish approach to the drums.

Thanks for the comments. Yes Ches has that rock influence and style in his drumming. I grew up on rock so that aspect about his drumming at These Arches appeal to me.

Just arrived a few hours ago in Newport, Oregon to attend the Oregon Coast Jazz Party. Over the weekend I will be hearing Benny Green, Mike Wofford, Darrell Grant, Byron Stripling, Harry Allen, Ken Peplowski, Nicki Parrott, David Wong, Mimi Fox, Tom Wakeling, Randy Porter, Todd Strait, Rodney Green, Dee Daniels, Rebecca Kilgore and others.

Chuck Redd was given a copy of the Terry Gibbs Dream Band arrangements, and he will be leading a big band playing them.

Just arrived a few hours ago in Newport, Oregon to attend the Oregon Coast Jazz Party. Over the weekend I will be hearing Benny Green, Mike Wofford, Darrell Grant, Byron Stripling, Harry Allen, Ken Peplowski, Nicki Parrott, David Wong, Mimi Fox, Tom Wakeling, Randy Porter, Todd Strait, Rodney Green, Dee Daniels, Rebecca Kilgore and others.

Chuck Redd was given a copy of the Terry Gibbs Dream Band arrangements, and he will be leading a big band playing them.

Have fun, Peter! Some of those people turn up here at the Norwich Jazz Party. I shall have to try and make it one year.

The Cookers cookin' at SFJAZZ tonight. Great show!

the%2Bcookers%2B092614.JPG

Those look like bad seats. :) :)

Going to see The Cookers tonight.

BTW I'm a little disconcerted by the reaction to some of the Clean Feed CDs earlier in this thread. For some (many) of us these may be the only way to hear these musicians at all. Better the CDs than nothing IMHO.

"9:00PM at Elastic, 2830 N Milwaukee, 2nd Fl, 773.772.3616

CANCELLED

Edward Wilkerson Jr, Junius Paul, Scott Hesse, Vincent Davis, Jim Baker"

damn, i was looking forward to that.

Shame. There's not nearly enough Ed Wilerson on record. There's a trio on YouTube with Tomeka and Scott Hesse that's fantastic.

Last night, at the Granada Theater, opening the evening was the Bnois King/Smokin' Joe Kubeck band, distinguished by Bnois King's fine singing voice and some pretty good original material.

Then followed the first Dallas concert for the ever-touring Lucky Peterson in a year and a half. Recently, he had been forced to cancel a European tour for health reasons. This was his first post-illness public appearance. A hammond b3 organ rests on the stage. Backed by a quartet (guitar, organ/keyboards, bass and drums), the concert opened in overloud, frenetic fashion. A little patience, and the third song is Lucky playing solo B3. Awesome it is, followed by more organ in the original from his new CD (Son of a Bluesman), I'm Still Here. Over the course of the concert, one learns he is fortunate to still be here, and he sings this song with joy. Then, switching to guitar for a long instrumental interlude, he is at the top of his form--including a lengthy version of Nana Jarnell from his new CD that is astounding (jaw dropping time at the sounds emanating from his guitar). This was the peak; the fine concert continues until midnight. As usual, an eclectic experience (blues, funk, soul, jazz, gospel). I hope it's not so long until the next one.

Edited by kh1958

Going to see The Cookers tonight.

BTW I'm a little disconcerted by the reaction to some of the Clean Feed CDs earlier in this thread. For some (many) of us these may be the only way to hear these musicians at all. Better the CDs than nothing IMHO.

Not meaning to be a downer for those who don't have the opportunity to see some of these musicians live. My one point might be that it is sometimes a bit of a shame that some of the recordings (not all on clean feed - as they did a good job on both Tamarindo recordings - not the one with Wadada - that is an obvious example of a blatent recording issue) don't capture the muddy as well as they could.

I often give the example of Rodrigo Amado's Searching for Adam as an example of how it's done right. I may never get a chance to see him live but I have opportunities to see the other 3 musicians often - and this recording captures Cleaver and Hebert very close to what they sound like live.

One other point - there are people who do have the opportunity to see these musicians live (although it might take some effort and commitment) and I and simply trying to express how awe inspiring it sometimes can be to experience this music when it comes off great in a small little room.

Maybe trying to inspire those who could step out and make that extra effort to get to see some of this music live.

People often say they wish they were there when and I often have felt that as well.....but

Giants Do Walk This Earth Today

Still........

Coming Down the Mountain

Actually, they're amazing seats because you're literally sitting right on top of the band and get to see them work from a unique perspective - especially the rhythm section. I couldn't take my eyes off of Billy Hart all night! You also get a great view of the piano player (George Cables at this show), because usually you have to see them from the back.

I've seen these guys a number of times, so being able to see the horn players from the front was not critical.

One perk of sitting up there (I would say about 10-15 feet above the stage) is that many of the musicians look up at you and wave or smile.

LAMBERT / GROGG

Alex Grogg: piano • Michel Lambert: drums

MICHAEL FORMANEK QUARTET

Michael Formanek: double bass • Tim Berne: alto saxophone Jacob Sacks: piano • Tyshawn Sorey: drums

Very enjoyable doubleheader, the duo was a long musical fresque that covered many ranges of music, at times it sounded like Fats Waller meets Cecil Taylor , a lot of good spots. The quartet was a lot more compelling live than what I've heard on CD.

Edited by Van Basten II

I've only been in New Orleans 26 hours, but so far:

A wedding reception second line with the Panorama Brass Band. That's the best tuba player on the planet, Matt Perrine.

10387700_10205023436889505_5218353265154

A great band with 92-year-old trombonist Wendell Eugene at the Palm Court. He's lost a step or two, but still has a strong tone.

The Family Ties Social Aid and Pleasure Club annual second line parade in Treme.

10603431_10205033820269083_6939938031454

The Oregon Coast Jazz Party just ended. There was a lot of good music over the 3 days of this event. The highlight of the weekend for me was the Benny Green Trio.

I have seen Benny a few times before over the years, but his playing, in my opinion, has matured to such an extent that he has become a true jazz master. His chops, phrasing, ideas and overall conception came together to form a marvelous listening experience.

His trio consisted of David Wong on bass, and Rodney Green on drums. I had never heard Rodney Green before. His playing was powerful, yet very tasty. He was in perfect synch with Benny.

Rodney is , in my opinion, clearly the best "young" drummer I have heard in a number of years.

After listening to this trio play a set Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, both Benny and Rodney are now each among my current favorites on their respective instruments.

The Oregon Coast Jazz Party just ended. There was a lot of good music over the 3 days of this event. The highlight of the weekend for me was the Benny Green Trio.

I have seen Benny a few times before over the years, but his playing, in my opinion, has matured to such an extent that he has become a true jazz master. His chops, phrasing, ideas and overall conception came together to form a marvelous listening experience.

His trio consisted of David Wong on bass, and Rodney Green on drums. I had never heard Rodney Green before. His playing was powerful, yet very tasty. He was in perfect synch with Benny.

Rodney is , in my opinion, clearly the best "young" drummer I have heard in a number of years.

After listening to this trio play a set Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, both Benny and Rodney are now each among my current favorites on their respective instruments.

Good recording by Rodney Green here: http://www.amazon.com/Rodney-Green-Live-at-Smalls/dp/B00H88AX9K

Takács Quartet

Monday, October 6, 2014, 8:00PM | at Caruth Auditorium

Program:

Haydn: String Quartet in B-flat Major, Hob. III:67

Janáček: String Quartet No.2 ‘Intimate Letters’

Beethoven: String Quartet in E minor, Op.59, No.2

http://www.dallascha.../takacsquartet/

I'd have to double check but I think Takacs-- though still fine-- is one of those groups which have cycled though all-- no check that, all but the cellist... like when I saw the "Tokyo String Quartet" in the late '90s and well, at least they were Japanese!

[emo]Takács was really good, the type of really good that provokes the realization that one is more likely to run out of life before running out of great music to hear, especially great music played live by great players who can get in the zone and stay there. I myself am wishing that I had 58 more years (at least) to pursue this area of music as rabidly as I have the other musics in my life to this point. That kind of really good[/emo]

General admission seating, small 400-ish seat hall (and 2/3 full, at beast), front row center seats elevated only about 2-3 feet above the stage.Might as well have had them in somebody's living room, chamber music indeed.

If "awesome" was still and actual word with meaning instead of a cheap verbal emoticon, I would use it.

But and oh yeah - Janacek. Freakin' Janacek.

[emo]Takács was really good, the type of really good that provokes the realization that one is more likely to run out of life before running out of great music to hear, especially great music played live by great players who can get in the zone and stay there. I myself am wishing that I had 58 more years (at least) to pursue this area of music as rabidly as I have the other musics in my life to this point. That kind of really good[/emo]

General admission seating, small 400-ish seat hall (and 2/3 full, at beast), front row center seats elevated only about 2-3 feet above the stage.Might as well have had them in somebody's living room, chamber music indeed.

If "awesome" was still and actual word with meaning instead of a cheap verbal emoticon, I would use it.

But and oh yeah - Janacek. Freakin' Janacek.

Excellent to hear! Once you get into it you can really understand the fascination the form/sounds can have for composer, musician, listener... akin to Ellington or Sun Ra. And sure, there's a lot of lesser or merely well crafted classical compositions-- & performers-- also, but all in all, the potential-- and frequently enough-- the payoff is fantastic.

to conflate threads, it's much to Braxton's credit what he's going for with the operas as works of musical theater, combining, in theory, some of the best qualities of classical composition, jazz improv, dance etc.

Except at the very very highest levels of restructuralist etc like Sonny, playing changes on standards doesn't cut it, nor does whatever variety of erstwhile 'free' blowing, bracing as certain moments can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOaiD7DHO2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoHngLypJQ