What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I've only been in New Orleans 26 hours, but so far:

A wedding reception second line with the Panorama Brass Band. That's the best tuba player on the planet, Matt Perrine.

10387700_10205023436889505_5218353265154

A great band with 92-year-old trombonist Wendell Eugene at the Palm Court. He's lost a step or two, but still has a strong tone.

The Family Ties Social Aid and Pleasure Club annual second line parade in Treme.

10603431_10205033820269083_6939938031454

That looks like a great way to kick off a marriage

I first heard New Orleans' marching bands 35 years ago, when my new wife and I drove down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras then was not quite so rancid an event as it seems to have become. But my fondest memory, aside from catching Zulu's spear, was watching and listening to those bands. Glorious music and spirit.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Except at the very very highest levels of restructuralist etc like Sonny, playing changes on standards doesn't cut it, nor does whatever variety of erstwhile 'free' blowing, bracing as certain moments can be.

Not going to say that it doesn't cut it, not by a long shot, simply because inspired music is inspired music, period.

However, although personal inspiration is one of those things that shows up anywhere/anytime, the environmental inspiration that can drive it and form it is all over the place in terms of efficiency, intent, etc. Right now, I don't know that anybody's environmental inspiration is exactly exhibiting about-to-burst udder-ness right now, if you know what I mean. Lots of bullshit pretty much everywhere. I'm just delighted to have new pastures to wade through, because bullshit is usually indicative of fertile ground somewhere underneath.

Takács, though, no wading through any bullshit to get to that. Pay you money, show up to the hall, sit down, and there it is. Would that more were that direct, at every level.

But these are not times in which to either offer or expect honest rewards, and what you get out of that kind a dynamic is what indeed doesn't cut it, except as a noxious looping fart of redundant lifelessness.

But these are not times in which to either offer or expect honest rewards, and what you get out of that kind a dynamic is what indeed doesn't cut it, except as a noxious looping fart of redundant lifelessness.

true, and of course Bird, Gene Ammons etc are & always will still be awesome; if there are folks who can achieve even significant % of their brilliance/sound/technique... But I keep thinking of the big bands, and arrangers*, composers and the capable musicians who are not heard at what could be better/best.. Not to quash anyone's enthusiasm (really) but when a guy like Tony Malably is touted as some great 'risk taker'... Or that ** anyone ** ever got laid inviting someone to listen to their "Sun Bear Concerts" box... true, it mght as well be useful for fucking something but...

*Ralph Burns -->

Edited by MomsMobley

true, and of course Bird, Gene Ammons etc are & always will still be awesome; if there are folks who can achieve even significant % of their brilliance/sound/technique... But I keep thinking of the big bands, and arrangers*, composers and the capable musicians who are not heard at what could be better/best.. Not to quash anyone's enthusiasm (really) but when a guy like Tony Malably is touted as some great 'risk taker'... Or that ** anyone ** ever got laid inviting someone to listen to their "Sun Bear Concerts" box... true, it mght as well be useful for fucking something but...

*Ralph Burns -->

At least learn to spell his name correctly

Tamarindo 10/24 & 10/25 @ Cornelia Street Cafe

With Michael Formanek & Nasheet Waits

I see the guy live often and because of that my enthusiasm only grows.

Of course YOU know they can't compare to the artists of the past and I imagine you wouldn't go see them live to see if you might be wrong.

Maybe you might want to stop comparing and open your ears to what they are playing. Your beef sounds personal.

I really would love to know why the current great players are not great according to you. Or who are the current great improvisors?

Is Evan Parker any good?

Last time, you took off and hid after you criticized the way Malaby dressed of all things. You didn't like his shirt if I recall correctly.

Months later, you take another cheap shot at a great musician. Not a risk taker? Based on what? When is the last time you've seen him play live? Don't you live locally? Do you have a name or are you hiding behind your moniker?

I'll be there on the 25th. Hope to see you there.

I'll leave Moms to his own defense, but aim the attack correctly - it was I who goofed on Malaby's shirttail hanging out and the sloppy jeans. It was a joke, but hey, when I get a nibble...

Tot he point, though, Tackas's photo on the program was at least 10 years old. Everybody walked out looking a lot older than they did in that photo. Shirttails were out, but everybody had nice shoes, too, and there were no wrinkles except on the faces, and they were of the good variety, as it turned out. Still, is the marketplace in that world so fragile that you gotta use that type of photo to attract non-hardcore audience? Or are people just being lazy, maybe on the local end?

Point just being that inside the music, that shot couldn't matter less. Outside the music, inside the business, well, yeah, maybe it does. To what degree, hell, if I knew with any certainty, I'd lose weight, get a tailor, and start getting steady booked.

I'll leave you now to Mr. Moms, who will address those points which were properly addressed to him.

Back from New Orleans. The (more or less) complete musical rundown:

Panorama Brass Band (with Aurora Nealand and Matt Perrine) - a second-line wedding reception in Bywater.

Wendell Eugene with clarinetist Brian O'Connell at the Palm Court. Trombonist Eugene is 90 and is now the oldest currently active musician in New Orleans. I had admired him on records for years and was very pleased to finally hear him in person.

Young Fellaz Brass Band playing on the street on Frenchmen.

A large, excellent pickup brass band at the Family Ties Social Aid and Pleasure Club second line in Treme.

Wendell Brunious at Preservation Hall. Some of the best music I've heard there in years.

The Hot 8 Brass Band at Howlin' Wolf.

Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses at Maison.

David Doucet at the Columns Hotel.

The Rebirth Brass Band at the Maple Leaf.

The Tin Men at d.b.a. - with the Best Tuba Player in the World, Matt Perrine, again.

Not a disappointing performance in the bunch, if you allow for the fact that Mr. Eugene is 90, and not the trombonist he once was.

Last night, Muhal Richard Abrams at the Kennedy Center with Jonathan Finlayson, Reggie Nicholson, Bryan Carrot, and Sam Jones(?) (misplaced my program). An hour long composed piece (title not announced) with solos for all. Just stunning, and Muhal's hands are huge! As emotionally moving and as monumental, albeit with a smaller group, as the Cecil Taylor big band several years ago at Iridium.

Last night, Muhal Richard Abrams at the Kennedy Center with Jonathan Finlayson, Reggie Nicholson, Bryan Carrot, and Sam Jones(?) (misplaced my program). An hour long composed piece (title not announced) with solos for all. Just stunning, and Muhal's hands are huge! As emotionally moving and as monumental, albeit with a smaller group, as the Cecil Taylor big band several years ago at Iridium.

I was there as well. Sat a few rows behind Bertrand, and just in front of Joanne Brackeen, Roy Haynes, and Jimmy Heath. This was my first live experience with Muhal, and I was blown away. Such a big sound with economy of motion. I will have to seek out other work by Bryan Carrott.

Last Tuesday, Tom Harrell's Trip at the Village Vanguard.

Last Wednesday, Doug Carn Quintet (with Stacy Dillard on saxophones, Duane Eubanks on trumpet and Lonnie Plaxico on bass) at the Zinc Bar. The crowd was sparse but the music was fantastic.

Last Thursday, George Cables and John Webber duo at Mezzrow. A very nice new club with great sound and a friendly atmosphere.

Friday night, Abdullah Ibrahim (solo piano) at Zankel Hall. A very quiet, lyrical and reflective solo concert, followed by the the very high energy and fairly loud (re-formed to celebrate Anita Evans' birthday) Gil Evans Orchestra at the Zinc Bar. An 11 piece band including Mike Clark on drums, Dave Taylor on trombone, Lou Soloff and Miles Evans on trumpet, Mark Egan on bass, Gil Goldstein on piano, Delmar Brown on keyboards, Minu Cinelu on percussion, and Oz Noy on guitar. For the opening of the second set Mark Egan was replaced by a bassist who looked (and played) alot like Jaco--later introduced as Felix Pastorius, the son of Jaco.

Saturday afternoon, a free performance by Jason Moran of his Fats Waller Dance Party, in a street fair on 96th Street and Fifth Avenue.

Saturday night, Ben Allison (with Brandon Seabrook and Steve Cardenas on guitar and Allison Miller on drums) at the Cornelia Street Cafe. That might have been the best two sets I heard this visit to NYC. Next, to Smalls for a set by John Ellis (group included Kevin Hays and Kendrick Scott), and finally by the Philip Harper Quintet. With long ago memories of seeing the Harper Brothers and the very late hour, I nearly left, but ultimately stuck around and was quite pleasantly surprised by Philip Harper and the high quality of his group.

Edited by kh1958

Last Wednesday, Doug Carn Quintet (with Stacy Dillard on saxophones, Duane Eubanks on trumpet and Lonnie Plaxico on bass) at the Zinc Bar. The crowd was sparse but the music was fantastic.

Last Thursday, George Cables and John Webber duo at Mezzrow. A very nice new club with great sound and a friendly atmosphere.

Friday night, Abdullah Ibrahim (solo piano) at Zankel Hall. A very quiet, lyrical and reflective solo concert, followed by the the very high energy and fairly loud (re-formed to celebrate Anita Evans' birthday) Gil Evans Orchestra at the Zinc Bar. An 11 piece band including Mike Clark on drums, Dave Taylor on trombone, Lou Soloff and Miles Evans on trumpet, Mark Egan on bass, Gil Goldstein on piano, Delmar Brown on keyboards, Minu Cinelu on percussion, and Oz Noy on guitar. For the opening of the second set Mark Egan was replaced by a bassist who looked (and played) alot like Jaco--later introduced as Felix Pastorius, the son of Jaco.

Saturday afternoon, a free performance by Jason Moran of his Fats Waller Dance Party, in a street fair on 96th Street and Fifth Avenue.

Saturday night, Ben Allison (with Brandon Seabrook and Steve Cardenas on guitar and Allison Miller on drums) at the Cornelia Street Cafe. That might have been the best two sets I heard this visit to NYC. Next, to Smalls for a set by John Ellis (group included Kevin Hays and Kendrick Scott), and finally by the Philip Harper Quintet. With long ago memories of seeing the Harper Brothers and the very late hour, I nearly left, but ultimately stuck around and was quite pleasantly surprised by Philip Harper and the high quality of his group.

Quite a trip!

We almost headed over to Cornelia Street for that Ben Allison band as we took my brother and sister-in-law to Katz's for a special NY experience.

I was intrigued by that band as I like Seabrook and I was wanting to know what two guitarists would sound like in a quartet in one of my favorite small rooms.

Very glad you enjoyed your trip. You show great energy and passion in attending so much live music over a short period of time.

I wish I had more energy and time to see more live music

Next show - Tamarindo this Saturday at Cornelia Street Cafe

Quite a trip!

We almost headed over to Cornelia Street for that Ben Allison band as we took my brother and sister-in-law to Katz's for a special NY experience.

I was intrigued by that band as I like Seabrook and I was wanting to know what two guitarists would sound like in a quartet in one of my favorite small rooms.

Very glad you enjoyed your trip. You show great energy and passion in attending so much live music over a short period of time.

I wish I had more energy and time to see more live music

Next show - Tamarindo this Saturday at Cornelia Street Cafe

New York is a great town. Just confining myself to Greenwich Village, there are nine or ten live music clubs that I like within easy walking distance.You have to take advantage when you live in a city where live jazz is a relative rarity. I wish I was there this week to see some of the Oliver Lake sets at the Stone.

Evan Parker and The Necks at Cafe Oto in a couple of hours

I can't wait to see how this works. I find the Necks music completely enthralling and they seem so self-contained that I'm not surprised they don't usually collaborate....we'll see

I may make wednesday's AMM and EP which will make an interesting contrast

Enrico Pieranunzi Trio (w. Pete Turner (bass), Dave Walsh (drums)) in Sheffield. Excellent evening, as expected, of nicely reshaped standards plus some originals. Had some very excited Italian ladies behind me.

Because they were behind you? :)

Possibly - they seemed to have a thing for wrinkled old greyhairs. Kept hearing them getting excited by the Sheffield Jazz programme - a flurry of indecipherable Italian interspersed by a highly accented 'Beets and Peeces Beeg Band'.

Makes a change from "Ee by gum, and to think I skipped t'whippet monthly club for this bollocks."

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I can't wait to see how this works. I find the Necks music completely enthralling and they seem so self-contained that I'm not surprised they don't usually collaborate....we'll see

Enrico Pieranunzi Trio (w. Pete Turner (bass), Dave Walsh (drums)) in Sheffield. Excellent evening, as expected, of nicely reshaped standards plus some originals. Had some very excited Italian ladies behind me.

How is Cafe Oto? I might try to get there on Sunday for EP if I can squeeze it in.

How is Cafe Oto? I might try to get there on Sunday for EP if I can squeeze it in.

PM sent. Sunday will be great. sadly I'm out of town. Hope you make it