What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Last night: Dave Holland & Kenny Barron in Athens. They performed mainly from their new recording. Extended versions with Mr Holland in great form. A great night.

Now Lee Konitz Quartet on 21-24 Nov - He will also be giving a jazz seminar for musicians only.

Edited by Alexandros

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paal Nilssen-Love, drums and Jon Rune Strøm, bass.

Swell should be a good partner for Frode.

We plan on catching them next week in Chicago at Constellation.

I missed the trio a couple of years back when I had to leave before their set in Brooklyn when my wife wasn't feeling well.

I did see a great quartet set with Travis Laplante, Mat Maneri, Michael Formanek and Randy Peterson

I really wanted to hear Nilssen-Love directly after hearing Randy blow the roof off I Beam in the 8:00 set.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I saw that Frode / PNL/ and Strom trio a couple of years ago in Baltimore, and they kicked ass. They also brought a ton of CDs and vinyl with them, so bring some cash. :lol:

I figured that would be the case. And Papa Jazz Records, one of the southeast's great record stores, is in Columbia. Financially, I'm screwed on this trip.

I doubt they're coming near here, and I wouldn't be able to make it anyways, but I wonder how you heard about these dates, Jeff?

I'm on the email list of Conundrum Music Hall, a tiny, but adventurous little venue in Columbia.

Very much look forward to hearing your impressions of the band

That's funny, because I had already decided to post a Steve Reynolds-style report.

Conundrum is a tiny little hall, but it was packed - which means about 50 people. Frode's suitcase didn't make it onto his flight, so he was wearing a University of South Carolina t-shirt he had picked up. The band hit at full force; after about five minutes textures started evolving. "Full force" was very exciting; the phrase that occurred to me was that the music swung on the molecular level. I'm not sure that actually means anything, but that's what popped into my head. Gjerstad and the trio have great rapport, and Steve Swell did indeed fit in very well. Melodic leads changed hands, instrumentation and textures kept changing, and everyone listened and responded to each other at a high level.

The difference between Gjerstad's alto playing and clarinet playing is interesting. On alto, he's abstract, but very melodic; on clarinet, he's even more abstract - he almost never played a "regular" note on clarinet. It was almost entirely multiphonics, overblown sounds, etc. And I have been to enough free jazz concerts that I thought I had seen it all in terms of bass technique, but Strom came up with some stuff I had never seen/heard before, like "bowing" with the palm of his hand.

Frode had good things to say about Chuck, and is very pleased to be on the Nessa label. Anyway, it was great show.

Tonight - Myra Melford-Ben Goldberg duo at Firehouse 12 in New Haven.

Nice one.

Brotzmann, Noble, Adasiewicsz at Cafe Oto tonight

Yes!

I doubt they're coming near here, and I wouldn't be able to make it anyways, but I wonder how you heard about these dates, Jeff?

I'm on the email list of Conundrum Music Hall, a tiny, but adventurous little venue in Columbia.

That's funny, because I had already decided to post a Steve Reynolds-style report.

Conundrum is a tiny little hall, but it was packed - which means about 50 people. Frode's suitcase didn't make it onto his flight, so he was wearing a University of South Carolina t-shirt he had picked up. The band hit at full force; after about five minutes textures started evolving. "Full force" was very exciting; the phrase that occurred to me was that the music swung on the molecular level. I'm not sure that actually means anything, but that's what popped into my head. Gjerstad and the trio have great rapport, and Steve Swell did indeed fit in very well. Melodic leads changed hands, instrumentation and textures kept changing, and everyone listened and responded to each other at a high level.

The difference between Gjerstad's alto playing and clarinet playing is interesting. On alto, he's abstract, but very melodic; on clarinet, he's even more abstract - he almost never played a "regular" note on clarinet. It was almost entirely multiphonics, overblown sounds, etc. And I have been to enough free jazz concerts that I thought I had seen it all in terms of bass technique, but Strom came up with some stuff I had never seen/heard before, like "bowing" with the palm of his hand.

Frode had good things to say about Chuck, and is very pleased to be on the Nessa label. Anyway, it was great show.

Sounds like it turned out to be worth the drive. Since you didn't mention him, what were your impressions of PNL drumming?

Thanks for the comments, Jeff

I'm kinda dyin for a live show - nothing for me for all of November - that hasn't happened in a while - next possibility 12/8 (Fred Frith Trio) or 12/13 Malaby trio with Hebert & Mintz) next sure bet 12/27 is Open Loose - record release as it says a new CD on Intakt(!!!)

Good news - at least 3 great shows @ Greenwich House in January/February:

Joe Morris quartet with Mat Maneri, Chris Lightcap & Gerald Cleaver - 1/22/15

Andre Matos Quintet with Tony Malaby and then Jacob Saks Quartet with Mat Maneri 2/7/15

Then Ideal Bread + Outhead (another band with Josh Sinton) on 2/12/15 - I need to see Josh Sinton live - very excited for this show

The complete tour courtesy of Frode's site:

13th new orleans @ the ALLWAYS LOUNGE,

14th columbia @ the conondrum music hall,

15th charlotte @ the McColl Center,

16th ashville @ the Mothlight ,

17th lexington @ mecca dance studio,

18th cleveland @ Mahalls bowling alley,

19th chicago @ constellation,

20th detroit @ Trinosophes ,

21st kalamazoo @ Satellite Records ,

22nd milwaukee @ the Sugar Maple,

23rd edmonton @ the Yardbird suite ,

24th montreal @ Casa del Popolo

We bring many CDs and LPs for good prices….

We will catch them in Chicago and maybe more.