What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

He was very good a couple of years ago with Helias & Altschul

Not as good as the bassist and drummer, but good.

Key is him harnessing all the technique into a real improvising voice.

Fwiw, I'm looking forward to Nasheet driving Mary to places I've maybe never heard her go. I'm hoping for some fire tonight. Maybe some hard core skronk and uber drumming places that Waits can get to. Last time with Tamarindo the great drummer was otherworldly

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ran Blake at An Die Musik, Baltimore, Dec 4, 2014

IMG_2851.jpg?noCache=1417793176

This is the backdrop to the Ran Blake concert stage. The concert was dedicated to his sister, Marthe. The room was shrouded in a twilight gloom. The piano was turned so that Ran sat almost facing the audience, behind the baby grand. Looking over the piano (top up), I could just discern Ran's face; the keyboard was not visible to the audience. When Ran came by my aisle seat, he was pushing a wheeled walker. I will admit to a flicker of doubt. He managed the large step up to the stage with the assistance of his manager.

Ran sat at the piano. He struck the first note. Amazing. One of those notes that seems to capture all possibilities. All doubts were dispelled, and I knew this was going to be a special event. The only other pianist I know who could combine such strength and authority with such delicacy and sensitivity is Cecil Taylor. Hearing Ran or Cecil in concert is revelatory and unforgettable.

The first set lasted about 50 minutes or so. Ran played set pieces from the program and also improvised. His playing didn't flag. It was ruminative and vital. During the first set, a film clip was played from "Dr. Mabuse," a classic silent horror film. The noirish atmosphere deepened. Ran improvised (I assume) along with the clip, which was visually stunning.

An intermission was taken before the 2nd set. Ran played about 30 minutes, broke briefly, then played another 15 minutes or so. Another silent movie clip, "Spiral Staircase," another noir of course, to which Ran played. The playing remained vital and full of feeling.

Ran's performance was remarkable. He was by turns poetic, spiky, lyrical, powerful. I'm going to try to attend his master class on Saturday.

Recording with program:

http://ranblake.com/media/audio/suffield-streams-and-standards-ran-blake-at-an-die-musik/?utm_source=December+2014&utm_campaign=December+2014&utm_medium=email

Ran Blake at An Die Musik, Baltimore, Dec 4, 2014

IMG_2851.jpg?noCache=1417793176

This is the backdrop to the Ran Blake concert stage. The concert was dedicated to his sister, Marthe. The room was shrouded in a twilight gloom. The piano was turned so that Ran sat almost facing the audience, behind the baby grand. Looking over the piano (top up), I could just discern Ran's face; the keyboard was not visible to the audience. When Ran came by my aisle seat, he was pushing a wheeled walker. I will admit to a flicker of doubt. He managed the large step up to the stage with the assistance of his manager.

Ran sat at the piano. He struck the first note. Amazing. One of those notes that seems to capture all possibilities. All doubts were dispelled, and I knew this was going to be a special event. The only other pianist I know who could combine such strength and authority with such delicacy and sensitivity is Cecil Taylor. Hearing Ran or Cecil in concert is revelatory and unforgettable.

The first set lasted about 50 minutes or so. Ran played set pieces from the program and also improvised. His playing didn't flag. It was ruminative and vital. During the first set, a film clip was played from "Dr. Mabuse," a classic silent horror film. The noirish atmosphere deepened. Ran improvised (I assume) along with the clip, which was visually stunning.

An intermission was taken before the 2nd set. Ran played about 30 minutes, broke briefly, then played another 15 minutes or so. Another silent movie clip, "Spiral Staircase," another noir of course, to which Ran played. The playing remained vital and full of feeling.

Ran's performance was remarkable. He was by turns poetic, spiky, lyrical, powerful. I'm going to try to attend his master class on Saturday.

Recording with program:

http://ranblake.com/media/audio/suffield-streams-and-standards-ran-blake-at-an-die-musik/?utm_source=December+2014&utm_campaign=December+2014&utm_medium=email

That's very cool. Sometimes things come to those who wait ^_^ . Make sure to darken the room and put the speakers in a corner for the full effect.

No words for that last 50 minutes will suffice

Too bad that the group didn't go back up until 5 til 11:00 for the second set.

Methinks Irabagon takes his audience too lightly. He played very well during much of the amazing first set which was one continuous piece which incorporate some compositional elements with Mary better than I've seen or heard her before. Stunning block chords and intense skronk that drove Nasheet to incredible power surges. The tenor playing was best when Jon escaped his growing tendency to simply wail in a Coltrane like manner. Much better when he got down to some complimentary softer and thoughtful tight improv.

During the second set, he took this tendency past the point of relevance and they only played 35 minutes.

I asked my wife what she thought - she said it would have been better with Mary and Nasheet as a duo. I asked her how he compared to Tony - she laughed at me. Are you kidding me?!?!

I agree with Leeway - lotsa technique - nowhere near a high level improvisor - he may know the language but he has trouble speaking it as of now.

Plus when he is with musicians of the calibre of Mary Halvorsen and Nasheet Waits, he is exposed. He needs a bit of humility - an hour between sets is arrogant at best when you come back late and don't come near touching what happened in the first set.

I probably won't be in NYC on this date, but if you are, these would be good shows to see--Michael Moore! and Ches Smith Trio with Taborn on the Wurlitzer! (shades of Alice C!)

New Revolution Arts
7 Stanhope Street
Bushwick (Brooklyn)
J/M/L Trains
B38/B46 Buses
$10 suggested donation
Friday, January 16
7:30 -- Doors
8 pm -- Harris Eisenstadt/Michael Moore Duo
Harris Eisenstadt (drums)
Michael Moore (reeds)
9 pm -- Ches Smith Trio
Ches Smith (drums)
Mat Maneri (viola)

Craig Taborn (Wurlitzer)

Just came back from the Falcon in Marlboro, NY. Saw "In the Spirit of Don Cherry"- Karl Berger, Steve Bernstein, Peter Apfelbaum, Mark Helias and Tanni Tabbal. All compositions of Don Cherry. It was

great!!!!

Would love to see Berger live. that sounds like a great night

Just time to write a few notes on the ICP performance in Baltimore last night. They were LOUD (at times), funny, masterful, as bright as a shiny new penny, but I missed Misha Mengelberg's subversive wit, his deeper shadow. Misha was the counter-point to Han Bennink's manic force; without him, Bennink was reduced to banging louder, like someone talking to a foreigner in ever louder voice to make himself understood. The "star" of the show turned out to be cellistTristan Honsinger, whose odd wailings, singing and comic actions sometimes gave it the appearance of Monty Python. Good humor but no substitute for Misha's wit. ICP played some Misha compositions but it seemed the spirit of them was gone. YMMV of course, and maybe it did, let me know. It was a long night and now I'm off to NYC.

Just time to write a few notes on the ICP performance in Baltimore last night. They were LOUD (at times), funny, masterful, as bright as a shiny new penny, but I missed Misha Mengelberg's subversive wit, his deeper shadow. Misha was the counter-point to Han Bennink's manic force; without him, Bennink was reduced to banging louder, like someone talking to a foreigner in ever louder voice to make himself understood. The "star" of the show turned out to be cellistTristan Honsinger, whose odd wailings, singing and comic actions sometimes gave it the appearance of Monty Python. Good humor but no substitute for Misha's wit. ICP played some Misha compositions but it seemed the spirit of them was gone. YMMV of course, and maybe it did, let me know. It was a long night and now I'm off to NYC.

Does anyone know if they are doing an actual US tour or just a few dates?

Saw Harold Mabern tonight - John Webber on bass, but Joe Farnsworth was not yet in town, so the local radio big band's drummer, Paul Höchstädter, was called. Not an easy job, as Mabern plays standards his very own way. My wife was disappointed as the groove wasn't nearly as tight as with Farnsworth. But I'm glad I caught the old man live - at 78 he still has plenty of energy in his playing and has a very nice stage persona.

I think I've seen him [Mabern] in the last year or two, and it was a bit of a surprise, but maybe I am just misremembering. I do know that I somewhat foolishly passed up a chance to see him in Vancouver last summer.

A few days from now (Thurs actually) I plan on seeing Camper van Beethoven play in Toronto. I haven't seen them live in some time, probably at least 5 or 6 years. I've always enjoyed their gigs, though I have started feeling old after the shows...

I'll be attending the live broadcast of "A Prairie Home Companion" from the Nourse Theater in San Francisco today. Among the musical guests will be the Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band.

Do they have a full stage set or something? They had a semi truck parked next to the theater for a couple of days.

Something very different for me, I'm going to the SF Symphony on Sunday for this: MTT CONDUCTS THE SOLDIER’S TALE

A trusting soldier. A violin. And a deal with the devil. Watch and hear the adventure unfold, when Michael Tilson Thomas conducts Stravinksy’s The Soldier’s Tale, a unique work for orchestra that mixes vibrant music, dialogue, and theatrics. Music legend Elvis Costello narrates the story of how a young soldier comes to trade his violin, win riches beyond his imagination, and compete with the Devil, played by critically-acclaimed actor Malcolm McDowell.
Just announced! John Adams will open this program, conducting his dynamic composition Grand Pianola Music.

And last Friday and Saturday nights at the Winter Jazzfest:

1. David Murray Clarinet Summit (Hamiett Bluiett, Don Byron, Nasheet Waits).

2. David Murray, Geri Allen, Terry Lynne Carrington Trio.

3. Trio 3 (Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille), with Vijay Iyer

4. Mark Ribot's Young Philadelphians with Strings (with Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Mary Halvorson)

5. Kavita Shah

6. Amina Claudine Myers Trio (Jerome Harris, Reggie Nicholson).

7. The Cookers (Billy Harper, Donald Harrison, Eddie Henderson, George Cables, Cecil McBee, David Weiss, Victor Lewis).

8. Rudresh Mahanthappa Charlie Parker Project.

9. Henry, Hampton and Low.

Some standing in the cold was required, but for a rich musical banquet.

Edited by kh1958

I'll be attending the live broadcast of "A Prairie Home Companion" from the Nourse Theater in San Francisco today. Among the musical guests will be the Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band.

Do they have a full stage set or something? They had a semi truck parked next to the theater for a couple of days.

Not so much this time. The first time I saw them do a broadcast in SF (maybe 4 years ago) they did have a background flat that looked like a two story farm house with lights in some of the windows. This time they had a few signs for their "sponsors" (Powdermilk Biscuits, the Ketchup Advisory Board, etc.), but I guess they must carry around their own mics & sound gear since they can't rely on the house gear wherever they may be to be up to broadcast standards, and it is probably easier/safer to transport the musicians' instruments that way than by commercial airliner.

Charlie Haden Celebration at Town Hall tonight.

"Among the many performers will be Geri Allen, Kenny Barron, Carla Bley, Jack DeJohnette, Denardo Coleman, Ravi Coltrane, Bill Frisell, Ethan Iverson, Josh Haden and the Haden Triplets, Ruth Cameron-Haden, Dr, Maurice Jackson, Lee Konitz, Pat Metheny, Josh Redman, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Brandee Younger, as well as Quartet West with Alan Broadbent, Ernie Watts, Rodney Green, with Scott Colley on bass, and Liberation Music Orchestra with Carla Bley, Tony Malaby, Chris Cheek, Loren Stillman, Michael Rodriguez, Seneca Black, Curtis Fowlkes, Vincent Chancey, Joe Daley, Steve Cardenas, Matt Wilson, with Steve Swallow on bass."