What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mundell Lowe / Bucky Pizzarelli / John Pisano all star gtr summit,- best jazz show ive seen in a long while, it was amazing. their tone is so pure and you can hear the pluck of the strings almost, i love their sound. it was a real guitar jam, w/ someone rockin a lead while others did rhythm, 2 rhythm, it was really great

Tonight, Roscoe Mitchell Quartet with Tomeka Reid, Junius Paul and Vincent Davis.

Interesting to realize last night that I don't find Roscoe fitting into the realm of the exciting per se, both in how his music affects me and, perhaps, in how he makes/conceives it. Incredibly intense, yes, but it's as though he and the music and its auditors are transported to a plane where things are at once coruscating, ordered, and even more or less calm, where the "flames" (so to speak) are not those of combustion but construction. To put it another way, there seems to be little or no sense of struggle or "outcry" involved. One is just, not so simply, invited to witness/participate in (again) an act of construction -- one that calls for an atmosphere of great heat, but it's not a heat that overwhelms the creator or us; it's just what's required to do what's novel and necessary.

Tonight in Toronto: Ryan Truesdell and the Gill Evans Project

Enjoy!

I did! It was the best concert I have been to in ages! Truesdell is an excellent and personable and enthusiastic leader who obviously loves Gil's music. Along the way he gave little insights into Gil's arranging craft which were not over the head of the laypeople in attendance (thankfully it was a full house, lots of grey for sure, but still full). The music was taken basically from the Thornhill years up to and including the Individualism album. ( I felt really good when Ryan said that The Individualism of Gil Evans was his favorite Evans recording, because it's mine too!) The only later chart was Gil's mid-seventies updating of The Meaning the Blues which on this night featured Scott Robinson on tenor.

And the band was superb, so in tune, so well-balanced. A lot of the names were new to me, but some there were some terrific solo performances - Robinson and Tom Christensen on tenor, Mike Rodriquez and Mat Jodrell on trumpet, (great lead by Augie Haas), Nick Finzer and Ryan Keberle on trombone and monster bass trombonist George Flynn. The rhythm section - Frank Kimbrough, Jay Anderson, and Dennis Mackrel was a model of taste and swing.

I bought the band's newest CD released just two weeks ago Lines of Color and Ryan signed with "Gil's Music Lives". Indeed it does.

An evening to remember, for sure.

Edited by John Tapscott

Tonight in Toronto: Ryan Truesdell and the Gill Evans Project

Enjoy!

I did! It was the best concert I have been to in ages! Truesdell is an excellent and personable and enthusiastic leader who obviously loves Gil's music. Along the way he gave little insights into Gil's arranging craft which were not over the head of the laypeople in attendance (thankfully it was a full house, lots of grey for sure, but still full). The music was taken basically from the Thornhill years up to and including the Individualism album. ( I felt really good when Ryan said that The Individualism of Gil Evans was his favorite Evans recording, because it's mine too!) The only later chart was Gil's mid-seventies updating from Miles Ahead of The Meaning the Blues which on this night featured Scott Robinson on tenor.

And the band was superb, so in tune, so well-balanced. A lot of the names were new to me, but some there were some terrific solo performances - Robinson and Tom Christensen on tenor, Mike Rodriquez and Mat Jodrell on trumpet, (great lead by Augie Haas), Nick Finzer and Ryan Keberle on trombone and monster bass trombonist George Flynn. The rhythm section - Frank Kimbrough, Jay Anderson, and Dennis Mackrel was a model of taste and swing.

I bought the band's newest CD released just two weeks ago Lines of Color and Ryan signed with "Gil's Music Lives". Indeed it does.

An evening to remember, for sure.

Sounds great, John!

Ab Baars and Ig Henneman last night.

beautiful duo concert of Ig Henneman on Violin and Ab Baars on Tenor Sax, Clarinet and shakuhachi.

The venue itself was also really nice; an old soup factory (Honig) nowadays transformed into a sort of cultural hot spot with many cultural entrepreneurs, a local beer brewery, restaurant and a venue/podium which overlooked the river "De Waal", so during the concert you could see the ships sailing by in the background.