What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For friends in Vancouver...I'm hitting tomorrow night (9.30pm) at Ironworks with the Louis Moholo-Moholo Quartet...please stop by and say hello!

Alexander - I really hope I can make it but it will be a last minute decision.  Have a baby and toddler to contend with; if they go to sleep easy and on time that night I'll drive down.  If not then...a collapse on the couch will be in order instead ;)

I saw Louis Moholo last time he played the vancouver jazz festival with the Dedication Orchestra and in a quartet with Evan Parker..it was fantastic so fingers crossed I can come out.  If I do I'll certainly introduce myself!

Sorry - only just saw this - hope you were able to make it...we had a blast!

Unable to go to see/hear Paradixical Frog tonight (Tyshawn Sorey, Ingrid Laubrock & Kris Davis)

BUT tomorrow night I am going to see/hear Diane Moser's Quintet (leader on piano) with Marty Ehrlich (alto saxophone/clarinets), Ben Williams (trombone) Ken Filiano (bass) and the *great* Gerry Hemingway (drums)

been over 6 weeks since my last show - I'm pumped up to be a few feet from what on paper is an awesome ensemble.

The Jazz Worriers (great name!) at Wigan last Sunday. A hard bop group with Dean Masser (tenor) and Neil Yates (trumpet & flugel).

The Mike Hall/Dan Whieldon Duo at Malcom Frazer's house this afternoon:

Here's their album:

over%20the%20moon.jpg

Edited by BillF

Saw the Alan Barnes Quintet at Wigan Jazz Festival this afternoon - Bruce Adams, Robin Aspland , Dave Green and Steve Brown. Superbly accomplished mainstream group - world class I'd say (even on this forum!)<_< The echoey sports hall venue was just right for Bruce Adams' often stratospheric trumpet.

Edited by BillF

Just back from the night in Swanage - Barnes is on deck tomorrow, having departed from Wigan with his bucket and spade. Nice to see Jean Toussaint's Blakey Project ('Roots and Herbs') with Byron Wallen and Denis Rollins and an excellent Afro-Cuban band headed up by Andy Hague and a group of Bristol musicians including Ben Waghorn.

Edited by sidewinder

So, I'm not going to the Vision Festival, but will be coming up to NYC anyway tomorrow for a jazz excursion before I move overseas: (1) Roy Nathanson's Jazz Passengers at Barbes; (2) Russell Malone Quartet at the Vanguard; and (3) John Scofield Trio at Birdland.

Just back from the night in Swanage - Barnes is on deck tomorrow, having departed from Wigan with his bucket and spade. Nice to see Jean Toussaint's Blakey Project ('Roots and Herbs') with Byron Wallen and Denis Rollins and an excellent Afro-Cuban band headed up by Andy Hague and a group of Bristol musicians including Ben Waghorn.

Yes, Alan is packing in the work as usual. At Wigan yesterday he began with a talk, followed up with the quintet gig and ended with a music lesson for a very promising 19-year-old trombonist whom I fell in with during the day. Today I'll see him in the Robert Fowler Mulligan Concert Jazz Band re-creation and I note he's squeezing in a couple of gigs in Swanage tomorrow, even insinuating himself into the Orient House Ensemble! :lol:

The Jazz Worriers (great name!) at Wigan last Sunday. A hard bop group with Dean Masser (tenor) and Neil Yates (trumpet & flugel).

Neil Yates is a marvellous trumpet player.

If you ever come across this disc by Arnie Somogyi snap it up (I don't think it's in print any more) - Yates is in superb form. It's a disc based on Somogyi's Hungarian roots. 

41XQ0E1N6YL.jpg

Somogyi used to be the 'other' bass player at Appleby (he and Andy Cleyndert seemed to divide up the slots). Wouldn't be surprised if both of them were not mainstays at Swanage.

Might be able to go next year!   

I'm a little behind in posting, so I'll be posting in a few chunks:

On 6/25: Jeremy Pelt/Richard Wyands/Peter Washington, Mezzrow: My wife and I moved up our vacation a day just for the opportunity to see Richard Wyands, who doesn't gig that often anymore, and it was fantastic.  Wyands is absolutely flawless as an accompanist and soloist.  The way he can be so responsive, supportive and subtle (yet enthralling) is something special.  His playing calls to mind a Stan Getz quote about never playing a note that he didn't mean.  He and Washington have worked together for years, it was evident in their rapport, with Wyands's spare playing freeing up Washington to play some busier lines at times or holding back a bit for this understated groove.  You could tell that Pelt and Washington were excited and honored to be playing with Wyands, who has contributed so much over his long career.

Like Wyands, Washington is one of my favorite musicians on his respective instrument, and this was the first that I've seen him in a group without drums and being afforded so much solo space.  I love the drums, but Washington is so solid in his technique and time that I didn't miss the drums.

I'd only previously seen Pelt as a sideman with Louis Hayes and playing originals with his own group, so it was cool to see him playing standards in an intimate venue.  We were the first ones in the place, so I sat next to the piano bench and my wife's head was a couple feet away from the bell of Pelt's horn.  Pelt had this soft, cornet-like tone that lent itself to the ballad numbers like 'Everything Happens to Me' and 'Never Let Me Go', but also worked on the uptempo numbers.  He is one of the best young trumpeters out there with an obvious respect for history of the music.  

I must say that Mezzrow is a nice club, and Spike Wilner proved during his opening solo set that he should be known as more than just a club owner.  When someone requested some Harold Arlen, he did an inspired take on 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' leading into 'If I Only Had a Brain'.  He's an interesting guy, to boot.  

After a long day, both sets were what the doctor ordered.  I owe my wife for finagling an extra day off so that we could make it.

Edited by Justin V

Yes, Alan is packing in the work as usual.

He was in the lineup last night for the Tracey Octet tribute led by Clark, which included Don Weller in the saxes - still one of our most distinctive saxophone stylists, good to see him here again. Hilarity on stage as they all fumbled on the stands with the mammoth 'concertina' scores put together by Stan. Incendiary first set and a real dillema as to whether to stay or to check out Keith Nichols Blue Devils with vocalist Joan Viskant in the other marquee. I chose to switch and thoroughly enjoyed their performance of authentic early jazz, impeccably played. Nichols and co. have become a Swanage institution - they've done this Sat night slot for at least 3 years consecutive now.

Gilad/Barnes Fest and shootout reunion coming up later on...

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, Alan is packing in the work as usual.

He was in the lineup last night for the Tracey Octet tribute led by Clark, which included Don Weller in the saxes - still one of our most distinctive saxophone stylists, good to see him here again. Hilarity on stage as they all fumbled on the stands with the mammoth 'concertina' scores put together by Stan. Incendiary first set and a real dillema as to whether to stay or to check out Keith Nichols Blue Devils with vocalist Joan Viskant in the other marquee. I chose to switch and thoroughly enjoyed their performance of authentic early jazz, impeccably played. Nichols and co. have become a Swanage institution - they've done this Sat night slot for at least 3 years consecutive now.

Gilad/Barnes Fest and shootout reunion coming up later on...

Sounds like you're having a great time, SW! The Mulligan Concert outfit were wonderful. Could have listened to them all day, but they only played for 1 3/4 hours!

Bill - I caught Robert Fowler's gig with Karen Sharpe earlier on today - good stuff, tribute to Al Cohn and Zoot Sims. Also caught the Gilad Atzmon Orient House Ensemble, the Barnes/Atzmon encounter (great !) and the Chris Biscoe Mingus Tribute. The latter had a very fine band with Henry Lowther, Pete Hurt and Kate Williams in it.

The only downer today - poured it down !

Edited by sidewinder

Bill - I caught Robert Fowler's gig with Karen Sharpe earlier on today - good stuff, tribute to Al Cohn and Zoot Sims. Also caught the Gilad Atzmon Orient House Ensemble, the Barnes/Atzmon encounter (great !) and the Chris Biscoe Mingus Tribute. The latter had a very fine band with Henry Lowther, Pete Hurt and Kate Williams in it.

The only downer today - poured it down !

Barnes/Atzmon, eh? I'll be in Wilmslow for Barnes/Abate tomorrow - AND he manages to squeeze in another gig in Ruislip today!!

Edited by BillF