What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Bill - I caught Robert Fowler's gig with Karen Sharpe earlier on today - good stuff, tribute to Al Cohn and Zoot Sims. Also caught the Gilad Atzmon Orient House Ensemble, the Barnes/Atzmon encounter (great !) and the Chris Biscoe Mingus Tribute. The latter had a very fine band with Henry Lowther, Pete Hurt and Kate Williams in it.

The only downer today - poured it down !

Barnes/Atzmon, eh? I'll be in Wilmslow for Barnes/Abate tomorrow - AND he manages to squeeze in another gig in Ruislip today!!

Alan and Greg make a wonderful partnership, despite current work pressures. Alan tells me he clocks up 45,000 miles in his car per year and that's apart from train and plane mileage!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw Catherine Russell at the SF Jazz Center last night, a really good show.  She is there through Sunday doing a program of songs associated with Louis Armstrong.  She is accompanied by a trio with Mark Shane on piano, but I didn't catch the names of the guitarist (who is also the musical director) or the bassist.  She sang "Our Monday Date", "Jubilee", "I Won't Dance", "Aunt Hagar's Blues", "Basin Street Blues", "Back O' Town Blues", "You're A Lucky Guy", "Muskrat Ramble" (does any one know if Louis Armstrong ever recorded  a vocal version of this?  I can't think of one offhand.)  among others.  For an encore she sang a song her father Luis Russell had written for Mr. Armstrong, but which he never recorded.  A demo recording of the song was discovered among the items in his archive.  It's a shame he never recorded it as it is a lovely song and it seems to incorporate much of what he felt about "Lucille".

If Ms. Russell is ever performing near you, it's well worth taking the time to catch her.

I saw Catherine Russell at the SF Jazz Center last night, a really good show.  She is there through Sunday doing a program of songs associated with Louis Armstrong.  She is accompanied by a trio with Mark Shane on piano, but I didn't catch the names of the guitarist (who is also the musical director) or the bassist.  She sang "Our Monday Date", "Jubilee", "I Won't Dance", "Aunt Hagar's Blues", "Basin Street Blues", "Back O' Town Blues", "You're A Lucky Guy", "Muskrat Ramble" (does any one know if Louis Armstrong ever recorded  a vocal version of this?  I can't think of one offhand.)  among others.  For an encore she sang a song her father Luis Russell had written for Mr. Armstrong, but which he never recorded.  A demo recording of the song was discovered among the items in his archive.  It's a shame he never recorded it as it is a lovely song and it seems to incorporate much of what he felt about "Lucille".

If Ms. Russell is ever performing near you, it's well worth taking the time to catch her.

You're right, I should probably go. Especially since it's VERY near me!

BTW, here's the lineup from the website:
Catherine Russell, vocals
Matt Munisteri, guitar
Mark Shane, piano
Tal Ronen, bass

Steve Tilston - wizard guitar player and singer/songwriter who has been around as long as I've been listening. But I'd never caught him before. Lovely relaxed concert in the sitting room of a hotel for pensioners on the Devon seafront. I have found my spiritual home.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Fawlty Towers?

Que?

Tim Eriksen and Jeff Warner - 'traditional' music mainly from the eastern coast and Appalachians of the USA. First came across Eriksen here in Sidmouth a couple of years back - proved one of the most rewarding discoveries of recent years. Rich, cobwebbed harmony.

Lots yesterday. Started with a 50 piece orchestra of pensioners playing folk tunes in strict tempo (yeah baby, like cool dudes, man). Then Mawkin - great young band picking up the folk-rock and punk folk mantle without the lumbering rhythms. Some fine young Scots in the afternoon playing songs and tunes. 

Highlight was the great John Kirkpatrick with his one man show of the songs of the two wars. Instead of the usual folky approach that follows the WarPoets/60s anti-war narrative, he based it round the songs the Tommies and their families actually sang with a focus on their endurance and sense of duty rather than the pity of war. Never thought I'd find myself in a room full of baby boomers raised on Dylan and The Stones singing along with Flanagan and Allen and Vera Lynn songs.

Lots of nice things yesterday. Highlight was Maz O'Connor, a young singer and guitarist whose records I've been besotted with over the last couple of years. A really talented songwriter - interesting chord choices, clearly a natural. Beautiful voice with those grace notes that bewitched me with Sandy Denny all those decades ago.

Good sets from Whapweasel (dance music from England with rock and roots flavouring... Included two saxophonists who smiled which I found odd), Nancy Kerr (a rising young thing not that long ago, now a inspirational singer and writer to the current generation) and close harmony singing from a The Devil's Interval - a trio from a decade back now major names in their own right.

Best day yet at Sidmouth. Emily Portman Trio - the 3 women from The Furrow Collective singing Emily's weird, spooky songs. The spirit of the ISB without the hippy vibe.

A very impressive young Scottish duo  called Twelth Day playing harp and fiddle - folk based, elements of minimalism, expansive almost proggy arrangements.

The mighty Blowzabella - veteran instrumental (with a few vocals) band playing English and French tunes with much welly. Double bagpipes, hurdy-gurdy, melodeon and much more.

Best of all - Mara! An Australian band playing Balkan music in Devon! Saw this lots 30 odd years ago during the World music boom when you couldn't move for bleating lambkins. Absolutely spectacular last night. But the big bonus was seeing a face I recognised from another musical world - saxophonist Sandy Evans who I know from my Australian jazz explorations. Wonderful to hear her explode into Aylerisms in this music. I often miss the informality of folk in jazz concerts that are generally more self-consciously arty; but I really miss the extemporisation of jazz solos in instrumental folk where the tendency is to stick to the tune. Mara! Found the magic balance.

A great encore with Mara and Blowzabella together, starting with an English folk ballad (Bushes and Briars) and then erupting into a mental Balkan piece. 

One of those concerts that etches itself on your brain.

Rachel Newton - Scottish singer/harpist who also plays on The Furrow Collective (actually, everyone in the UK is in that quartet). Lovely solo concert of songs mainly about fairies replacing babies. 

Martha Tilston - first time I've seen her live - so good that I went to see her twice. A bit of a hippy chick but an excellent songwriter and performer. One wonderful piece where she was definitely tapping into Van Morrison of the turn of the 70s, trance-like repetition of fragments. Also a first for me in any genre - a guest appearance by an historian!!!! Sam Willis, the chap who writes excellent books on naval history - not a natural singer but not a bad guitarist. Just praying David Starkey doesn't turn up in the later events.

I'll be going to the San Jose Jazz Festival this Saturday.  It's a 3 day event, but Sat. has the most performers I'd be interested in seeing.  There's nothing at all on the main stage which interests me, but on the ancillary stages there will be the John Pizzarelli Quartet, Zigaboo Modeliste, Ricky Woodard with Ernie Andrews (!), Etienne Charles and a couple of Bay Area groups, Octobop and the Bob Schulz Frisco Jazz Band.  I doubt if I will get to see them all as a couple of them perform at the same time, but I will try to catch as many as I can.

Tomorrow night, I'll be taking a stroll down memory lane. I'm going to see Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit reunion show at the Georgia Theater in Athens.

Back in the day, I saw them perform dozens of times. In fact, I was at their show at the Georgia Theater the night before they recorded their first album in 1992.

5137Z0XKBDL._SX300_.jpg

From their website:

GeorgiaTheatre_ARU750.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

Another great day yesterday.

John Kirkpatrick & Martin Carthy - must have seen these two a zillion times in the last 40+ years but they never disappoint. Models of how to carry superstardom with total humility. Carthy's voice may be showing the years but his utterly unique guitar style - one he seems to have carved out himself to fit round the irregularities of folk song rather than smooth them out - is as stunning as ever. The instrumentals in particular were amazing.

Leveret - new folk supergroup of Andy Cutting, Rob Harbron and Sam Sweeting (melodeon, concertina, fiddle) playing gloriously relaxed versions of traditional and recently written English tunes. The CSN&Y of morris.

Julie Fowlis - like Andy Cutting, someone I seem to be stalking. Angel-voiced singer of Gaelic song and mouth music with a thrilling Anglo-Scottish band. She's had wider success since first bursting out ten years ago, most famously as a voice on a Disney film. Thankfully this has done nothing to thin out her main career - no Sting or Springsteen songs (though she does a lovely version of 'Blackbird' with the only English verse of the whole concert in the middle - it sounds great in Gaelic).

Jim Causley - Young, funny and erudite. Looks like one of the YouTube generation but sings mainly West Country related songs in a traditional way avoiding cod-ploughboy.

Faustus - amazing what amplification can do. Melodeon, fiddle/oboe, guitar/bouzouki used for songs and tunes with loads of welly. On record this band never caught my attention -  live the were a hoot.

That's it. Smock traded in. Back to a more balanced musical intake. Though I'll be joining the toffs for a few nights at the Proms next week.