What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Tonight Almeida/Klein/van Duijnhoven at Brebl Nijmegen. They just released quite an intersting album on Clean Feed so looking forward to this one. And than tommorrow also Brebl with Ingrid Laubrocks Ubatuba (with Rainey and Tim Berne amongst others)

had two fun nights! I especcially liked the Almeida/Klein/van Duijnhoven trio. I never heard Tobias Klein before, but I was quite impressed, esspecially his playing on the bass clarinet and barriton clarinet was very beautifull.

Yesterdays concert of Ingrid Laubrocks Ubatuba, was enjoyable because of Tom Rainey for me. He had some really strong and impressive moments on the drumkit. Ingrid's sound I also really liked, but I would like to hear her go all out much more. I constantly had the feeling she was holding back, maybe to give the other players more room. Problem for me was though, I didn't really find the other players THAT interesting. On the whole, the concept/line up of a drummer, an alto and a tenor saxophone, a trombone and a tuba didn't really do it for me. To my feeling this band lacked some coherent vission, and I think I would much rather see Laubrock and Rainey play as a duo or in a trio format.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight Almeida/Klein/van Duijnhoven at Brebl Nijmegen. They just released quite an intersting album on Clean Feed so looking forward to this one. And than tommorrow also Brebl with Ingrid Laubrocks Ubatuba (with Rainey and Tim Berne amongst others)

had two fun nights! I especcially liked the Almeida/Klein/van Duijnhoven trio. I never heard Tobias Klein before, but I was quite impressed, esspecially his playing on the bass clarinet and barriton clarinet was very beautifull.

Yesterdays concert of Ingrid Laubrocks Ubatuba, was enjoyable because of Tom Rainey for me. He had some really strong and impressive moments on the drumkit. Ingrid's sound I also really liked, but I would like to hear her go all out much more. I constantly had the feeling she was holding back, maybe to give the other players more room. Problem for me was though, I didn't really find the other players THAT interesting. On the whole, the concept/line up of a drummer, an alto and a tenor saxophone, a trombone and a tuba didn't really do it for me. To my feeling this band lacked some coherent vission, and I think I would much rather see Laubrock and Rainey play as a duo or in a trio format.

Laubrock, Rainey and Liam Noble worked well as a group when I saw them at Birmingham Conservatoire some years ago.

for sure the trio for me is Rainey-Halvorsen-Laubrock 

Tonight at Elastic Arts in Chicago:

• THURSDAY OCTOBER 8 | 9:00 PM

Ballrogg & Branch/Jackson/Kessler/Hunt 

$10 
    A double bill featuring a first time grouping of Chicago regulars, and the Scandinavian powerhouse trio Ballrogg. 

9 PM : BALLROGG

Klaus Ellerhusen Holm – reeds
David Stäckenas – guitar
Roger Arntzen – bass

10 PM : BRANCH/JACKSON/KESSLER/HUNT

Jaimie Branch – trumpet
Keefe Jackson – reeds
Kent Kessler – bass
Steve Hunt – drums

Excellent set from 

Jaimie Branch – trumpet
Keefe Jackson – reeds
Kent Kessler – bass
Steve Hunt – drums

It should not be forgotten (and/or it should be shouted from the hills) that Steve Hunt is one terrific drummer. The way he got inside what Branch and Jackson were playing/thinking was hard to believe. Kessler was in fine form, too.

f

Crazy quotes - see above - Rainey-Laubrock-Halvorsen is the group where they all let loose. No restraints which is Ingrid's weakness. No contraining detailed compositions which limit the improvising and power. 

They usually play 12/30 @ Cornelia Street which is a very hard date for me and my wife to make - but this year I'm promising myself to make it.

Three concerts at:

marsden-jazz-festival-2015.jpg

Lovely, small festival - loads to hear from everybody-join-in free events round the village to ticket events in small venues. Incredibly enthusiastic audiences in everything I saw.

Django a la Creole - Evan Christopher (New Orleans (via California)): clarinet; Don Vappie (New Orleans): guitar; Dave Kelbie (UK): guitar; Sébastien Girardot (France (via Australia)): double bass. One of the best concerts I've been to all year (up there with Mara! in August). I knew what to expect from Evan Christopher but was quite unprepared for the guitar and banjo of Don Vappie (who I believe is new to the group) - absolutely thrilling. Great bass as well. Normally in a concert audience enthusiasm rises and hits a peak around 2/3rds of the way through the first set. This band had the audience hopping after the second song. Christopher did an interesting pre-concert talk about New Orleans, Django and his own experiences learning music. Very engaging personality.

Arun Ghosh Indo-Jazz Sextet - A South Asian Suite - Arun Ghosh: clarinet; Chris Williams: alto saxophone; Liran Donin: double bass; John Ellis: piano; Nilesh Gulhane: tabla; Dave Walsh: drums. Another electrifying performance from, a very different clarinet player. Bolton lad from an Asian background. Very much in the style pioneered by John Mayer - ranging from the hard driving to more reflective moments. Ghosh is a wonderful front man, really engaging with the audience between songs. After telling us which parts of South Asia each section were from over the concert he admitted that he'd never been to any of them but he did like the hills of the Lake District and Pennines! After playing the full suite he launched into a solo version of 'You've Got a Friend' which had all the baby boomers singing a-long. That's his chance of a commission from the 'Art' crowd blown. 

Lauren Kinsella Ensemble -  Lauren Kinsella (voice), Tom Challenger (sax), Dan Nicholls (keys and electronics), Conor Chaplin (bass) and Simon Roth (drums). One of the most impressive of the younger vocalists I've heard of late. Came across her singing on Laura Jurd's last album and the Blue-Eyed Hawk record done with Jurd. New compositions that have an impressionistic song basis but quickly fly off into more free-style vocal gymnastics - think Norma Winstone in the late-60s/70s (although her voice is not like Norma's). A voice of enormous range that never betrays any dodgy intonation, despite veering all over the place harmonically. I think this was a new commission and was clearly in the process of coming together - not as fully realised as the first two concerts but impressive nonetheless.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Three concerts at:

Lovely, small festival - loads to hear from everybody-join-in free events round the village to ticket events in small venues. Incredibly enthusiastic audiences in everything I saw.

Django a la Creole - Evan Christopher (New Orleans): clarinet; Don Vappie (New Orleans): guitar; Dave Kelbie (UK): guitar; Sébastien Girardot (France): double bass. One of the best concerts I've been to all year (up there with Mara! in August). I knew what to expect from Evan Christopher but was quite unprepared for the guitar and banjo of Don Vappie (who I believe is new to the group) - absolutely thrilling. Great bass as well. Normally in a concert audience enthusiasm rises and hits a peak around 2/3rds of the way through the first set. This band had the audience hopping after the second song. Christopher did an interesting pre-concert talk about New Orleans, Django and his own experiences learning music. Very engaging personality.

Arun Ghosh Indo-Jazz Sextet - A South Asian Suite - Arun Ghosh: clarinet; Chris Williams: alto saxophone; Liran Donin: double bass; John Ellis: piano; Nilesh Gulhane: tabla; Dave Walsh: drums. Another electrifying performance from, a very different clarinet player. Bolton lad from an Asian background. Very much in the style pioneered by John Mayer - ranging from the hard driving to more reflective moments. Ghosh is a wonderful front man, really engaging with the audience between songs. After telling us which parts of South Asia each section were from over the concert he admitted that he'd never been to any of them but he did like the hills of the Lake District and Pennines! After playing the full suite he launched into a solo version of 'You've Got a Friend' which had all the baby boomers singing a-long. That's his chance of a commission from the 'Art' crowd blown. 

Lauren Kinsella Ensemble -  Lauren Kinsella (voice), Tom Challenger (sax), Dan Nicholls (keys and electronics), Conor Chaplin (bass) and Simon Roth (drums). One of the most impressive of the younger vocalists I've heard of late. Came across her singing on Laura Jurd's last album and the Blue-Eyed Hawk record done with Jurd. New compositions that have an impressionistic song basis but quickly fly off into more free-style vocal gymnastics - think Norma Winstone in the late-60s/70s (although her voice is not like Norma's). A voice of enormous range that never betrays any dodgy intonation, despite veering all over the place harmonically. I think this was a new commission and was clearly in the process of coming together - not as fully realised as the first two concerts but impressive nonetheless.  

Marsden has almost gone by without me noticing this year. Did go up there a couple of years ago and saw Ben Crosland with Steve Waterman. I see Crosland was back there a couple of days ago, but I'm due to see him at Wigan Jazz Club on the 25th anyway.

This afternoon it's up to Whitefield on the Metro to see tenorman Liam Byrne who definitely has the right idea and is a personal friend into the bargain. :tup

Three concerts at:

Django a la Creole - Evan Christopher (New Orleans): clarinet; Don Vappie (New Orleans): guitar; Dave Kelbie (UK): guitar; Sébastien Girardot (France): double bass. One of the best concerts I've been to all year (up there with Mara! in August). I knew what to expect from Evan Christopher but was quite unprepared for the guitar and banjo of Don Vappie (who I believe is new to the group) - absolutely thrilling. Great bass as well. Normally in a concert audience enthusiasm rises and hits a peak around 2/3rds of the way through the first set. This band had the audience hopping after the second song. Christopher did an interesting pre-concert talk about New Orleans, Django and his own experiences learning music. Very engaging personality.

Marsden has almost gone by without me noticing this year. Did go up there a couple of years ago and saw Ben Crosland with Steve Waterman. I see Crosland was back there a couple of days ago, but I'm due to see him at Wigan Jazz Club on the 25th anyway.

This afternoon it's up to Whitefield on the Metro to see tenorman Liam Byrne who definitely has the right idea and is a personal friend into the bargain. :tup

I wondered if it was in your orbit - train services seem very good both to the west and east. Good for a car too - free parking!!!! 

I think the Crosland sold out (it was on at the same time as the Evan Christopher concert) - though given the small size of the venues in Marsden selling out is likely to happen very quickly.

Never been before but was very impressed. None of the glossy, corporate sheen you get in the big festivals. Bizarre moment in the early afternoon yesterday - I went for a walk up into the hills and as I descended you could hear the street music from right on top..."River Deep, Mountain High"!!!!!    

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I wondered if it was in your orbit - train services seem very good both to the west and east.  

Yes, pretty good. Metro from West Didsbury (200 yds from my house) to Victoria takes 24 mins. Train from Victoria to Marsden 32 mins. Of course, when Osborne transforms the trans-Pennine route I'll be able to be in Marsden 3 mins before setting off!

Yesterday I caught pianist Fred Simmons playing duo with Jay Hoggard. Originally it was supposed to be a quartet, and then the program handed out at the venue suggested a trio with Pheeroan akLaff. Ultimately it was just the two and it was a delightful performance in a very intimate room. I knew Simmons' name because of his prior association with Dewey Redman, but for the most part his career has been teaching at Wesleyan University for a number of years. Too bad he has not performed more frequently - I was very impressed.

Me wants reports on Brotz et al and Osby

post haste!!

Osby was fantastic! First time the group had played as a collective but you would have never known had Osby not announced it. Greg on alto of course, Joshua White on piano (he's a monster and honestly stole the show with each and every solo), Eric Revis on bass and the formidable Jonathan Pinson on drums. White solo'd on almost every song. Pinson had an epic solo at the end of the second set and Revis was given plenty of space to stretch out. Osby was in top form but he really let the others show out. It was a fantastic show. They did have Natalie Gooday (?) sing one song each set, which I think the crowd, myself included could have lived without, but White did solos in both standards that made them memorable.  

Tomorrow: SFJAZZ Collective performing selections from Joe Henderson's "Page One" in SFJAZZ's intimate 'Joe Henderson Lab'. 

Friday: Wayne Shorter Quartet in SFJAZZ Miner Auditorium.

I saw the Wayne Shorter Quartet there tonight, BFrank.  They are obviously a very cohesive group playing challenging music with much sincerity and commitment, and I'm glad to have seen them perform, but I must admit the music did not always connect with me.

It was the first concert I'd seen in the Miner Auditorium.  A very nice venue, indeed, with very good acoustics.  Even the cheap seats in the balcony are good.  I will be back there next week to see the SF JAZZ Collective's concert featuring the music of Michael Jackson.

Image 8

Fay Hield and the Hurricane Party at the Sheffield Crucible (only three of the above on duty)

Dr. Fay Hield, no less...she'd been doing a lecture at Sheffield Uni where she works in the morning!

First half - familiar songs from her first two records with two of the above on concertina and fiddle/nyckelharpa and a bit later a guitar/fiddle player. Highlight was a wonderful song accompanied by just three fiddles - scratchy and droney as I like my folk music.

Second half - previewed some of the songs from her new record coming out in February. Two extra musicians - double bass and drums. A marvellous mixture of the unfamiliar (she seems to like pillaging collections of children's songs, sticking bits together and then writing a new tune), Tom Waits and familiar ballads with different tunes and fresh arrangements - Seven Gypsies, Jack Orian etc.  

We live in a golden age for English folk music with a flood wave of outstanding performers. Hield is at the head of that flood.

If you need a nasty lullaby to scare your kids, try this:

Ropey video but you get the gist. Do as you are told or Bonaparte will tear you limb from limb and eat you. 

Will be seeing in Paris...

Tonight:

NICOLE MITCHELL flûte, CHRISTOPHE ROCHER clarinettes, TOMEKA REID violoncelle, AVREEAYL RA batterie

Followed by THIRD COAST ENSEMBLE directed by ROB MAZUREK

Monday:

Golden Quartet
Wadada Leo Smith, trompette et électronique
Anthony Davis, piano
John Lindberg, contrebasse
Mike Reed, batterie

Duet
Roscoe Mitchell, saxophones et flûte
Mike Reed, batterie

Double-Up
Henry Threadgill, composition et direction musicale
Roman Filiu, Curtis Macdonald, saxophone alto
David Bryant, David Virelles, piano
Christopher Hoffman, violoncelle
Jose Davila, tuba et trombone
Craig Weinrib, batterie

Tomorrow: SFJAZZ Collective performing selections from Joe Henderson's "Page One" in SFJAZZ's intimate 'Joe Henderson Lab'. 

Friday: Wayne Shorter Quartet in SFJAZZ Miner Auditorium.

I saw the Wayne Shorter Quartet there tonight, BFrank.  They are obviously a very cohesive group playing challenging music with much sincerity and commitment, and I'm glad to have seen them perform, but I must admit the music did not always connect with me.

It was the first concert I'd seen in the Miner Auditorium.  A very nice venue, indeed, with very good acoustics.  Even the cheap seats in the balcony are good.  I will be back there next week to see the SF JAZZ Collective's concert featuring the music of Michael Jackson.

Cool! I saw them there last time they were here, too. They can get out there sometimes, but I enjoy their interactions and the high level of communication.

While you were enjoying Wayne, I was seeing the Collective in the Joe Henderson Lab. Great to see them in such a small venue, and they seemed to enjoy that, too. Not seeing their Miner shows next week, though.

Will be seeing in Paris...

Tonight:

NICOLE MITCHELL flûte, CHRISTOPHE ROCHER clarinettes, TOMEKA REID violoncelle, AVREEAYL RA batterie

Followed by THIRD COAST ENSEMBLE directed by ROB MAZUREK

Monday:

Golden Quartet
Wadada Leo Smith, trompette et électronique
Anthony Davis, piano
John Lindberg, contrebasse
Mike Reed, batterie

Duet
Roscoe Mitchell, saxophones et flûte
Mike Reed, batterie

Double-Up
Henry Threadgill, composition et direction musicale