What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ken Vandermark Made to Break, April 5, 2016, Songbyrd, Washington DC

KV has been putting a lot of time and effort into this group. The current tour will conclude with a new album by the group. As usual, Vandermark and associates delivered some potent playing. 

Friday night, Allison Miller and Boom Tic Boom at The Royal Room in Seattle, playing music from her new album, "Otis Was A Polar Bear."  She had a great line-up:  Myra Melford, piano; Jenny Scheinman, violin; Kirk Knuffke, cornet; Ben Goldberg, clarinets; and Haggai Cohen Milo, bass; with Miller of course on drums.

otis-450x450.jpg.135a709014a3a2e1b345e05

SF Jazz Collective at Annette Strauss Square in Dallas Arts District. A small crowd on a chilly evening at a pretty nice outdoor venue. I liked the original compositions of the group, but the "Plays Michael Jackson" part of the concert did not particularly appeal to me.

Edited by kh1958

16 hours ago, kh1958 said:

SF Jazz Collective at Annette Strauss Square in Dallas Arts District. A small crowd on a chilly evening at a pretty nice outdoor venue. I liked the original compositions of the group, but the "Plays Michael Jackson" part of the concert did not particularly appeal to me.

I was wondering about that and basically was leaning against going.  It also appears that the concert here is in Massey Hall.  While this may be a historical building, it is pretty miserable as a concert venue, particularly in the cheap seats, so I have one more reason to pass.

However, it was worth suffering through the poor seating to see an 80th birthday celebration for Steve Reich.  He actually came out and did "Clapping" with either Bob Becker or Russell Hartenberger.  (Both were part of the concert but they dressed the same and looked quite similar, so I couldn't tell them apart from my seat.)

The other pieces were Tehillim and Music for 18 Musicians.  Reich didn't take part in either of these performances.  Both were quite fascinating in their own way, but I think in honor of Steve, they did an extra long version of Music for 18 Musicians!  (The base running time is 55 minutes.)  That could have been cut 10-15 minutes shorter.  But it's certainly not something you get to see every day...

On 4/14/2016 at 8:50 AM, BillF said:

Kenny Garrett Quintet at Band on the Wall, Manchester

Superb level of instrumental competence, but the music which blended Latin and Coltrane into a sort of easy listening just wasn't going anywhere as far as I was concerned. Went down very well with the audience in a club which presents jazz once in a 100 nights or so and where Craig Charles's disco is top favourite. Garrett had added a percussionist armed with every bit of paraphernalia you could think of who largely functioned as visual crowd entertainer.

8 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I was wondering about that and basically was leaning against going.  It also appears that the concert here is in Massey Hall.  While this may be a historical building, it is pretty miserable as a concert venue, particularly in the cheap seats, so I have one more reason to pass.

However, it was worth suffering through the poor seating to see an 80th birthday celebration for Steve Reich.  He actually came out and did "Clapping" with either Bob Becker or Russell Hartenberger.  (Both were part of the concert but they dressed the same and looked quite similar, so I couldn't tell them apart from my seat.)

The other pieces were Tehillim and Music for 18 Musicians.  Reich didn't take part in either of these performances.  Both were quite fascinating in their own way, but I think in honor of Steve, they did an extra long version of Music for 18 Musicians!  (The base running time is 55 minutes.)  That could have been cut 10-15 minutes shorter.  But it's certainly not something you get to see every day...

The ratio of Michael Jackson/original compositions is about 50/50. The band was Miguel Zenon, David Sanchez, Robin Eubanks, Sean Jones, Ed Simon, Warren Wolf, and I didn't catch the bassist/drummer's names. The Shelly Carrol concert I saw the night before this actually was superior in every way.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

The ratio of Michael Jackson/original compositions is about 50/50. The band was Miguel Zenon, David Sanchez, Robin Eubanks, Sean Jones, Ed Simon, Warren Wolf, and I didn't catch the bassist/drummer's names. The Shelly Carrol concert I saw the night before this actually was superior in every way.

SF Collective is appearing at Jazz Standard in Manhattan next Tues-Thurs, if anyone there is interested.

Every year the SFJAZZ Collective's mission is to select a music legend and then woodshed for several weeks. They then re-arrange that artist's compositions for the ensemble and also write new pieces with that artist's influence in mind. When they're ready to go, they tour, record live, and then release a 2 CD album that's split evenly between originals and 'covers'. They've only recently expanded the artists they are honoring from strictly jazz to pop with Stevie Wonder and more recently MJ.

2 hours ago, rdavenport said:

I just had a look at the BOTW listings - there isn't much jazz is there?  The Cookers look interesting I must say.

Very little jazz. Their typical fare is Craig Charles Funk and Soul Club. :( But over the months and years the big names do build up: Pharoah Sanders, Pat Martino, Eric Alexander, Dave Liebman, Jerry Bergonzi, Kenny Garrett - they've all appeared at BotW fairly recently.

I saw The Cookers at Gateshead last year and they were a gas!

ckrs1500.jpg

Wednesday night at the Substation in Seattle:

Rik Wright's Fundamental Forces -- Wright, guitar; James Dejoie, tenor, baritone sax; Geoff Harper, bass; Greg Campbell, drums.

Samantha Boshnack Quintet -- Boshnack, trumpet; Beth Fleenor, clarinets; Alex Chadsey, keyboards; Isaac Castillo, bass; Max Wood, drums.

•  

Sam Boshnack Quintet.jpg

This past weekend, I attended the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

And the groups I saw! Steely Dan, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers! It was amazing!

Well, no, actually I didn't see (or care to see) any such groups. Jazziest is like two festivals--a popular music festival conducted on large stages with masses of people crowded together in a field. Then there is the other festival--in smaller seated venues, presenting a diversity of music from the world and Louisiana. The only thing in common is the great food for all available on the fairgrounds.

On Friday, I began in Economy Hall, with Chris Clifton and His All Stars. The band was decent, but I didn't make it to the end of the set of pure Louis Armstrong imitation.

Next, to the Jazz Tent, for trumpeter Ayo Takazawa, with Jason Marsalis on drums. A couple of guests also appeared, including Wes Warmdaddy Anderson on alto. The set was pretty good, reaching its peak with a version Freddie Hubbard's Mr. Clean featuring the leader and her cohort on alto sax (also a Japanese female) trading short solos for the duration which built to a pretty high level of intensity.

Next, Jason Marsalis on drums leading a quintet presenting mostly new material from a new CD, The 21st Century Trad Band. This was a fine set, featuring lots of clarinet (trumpet/sax or clarinet frontline).

After a break, continuing in the Jazz Tent, Geri Allen presents a group playing material from Errol Garner's Concert By the Sea. This is an unusual two piano group, the second piano being manned by Christian Sands. Also with Russell Malone on guitar, plus bass and Victor Lewis on drums. The full group and various subdivisions played a really nice set. The second pianist was quite good, and could play in the style of Mr. Garner.

Ending the first day in the Jazz Tent, Christian Scott appeared with his "Stretch Music" and band of young musicians (two saxophonists, guitar, bass guitar, two drummers, keyboards, all of whom Mr. Scott raved about at length). The volume of the group was extremely loud and the initial sound mix not so good (corrected as the set progressed), which almost drove me away. Instead, I simply moved further back in the venue, and was glad that I did. Scott is a very impressive trumpeter, and the original music played by his band quite interesting.

On Saturday, beginning once again in Economy Hall, with Louis Ford and His New Orleans Flairs. This time, luck was with me--this band was terrific, with Ford on soprano sax and clarinet, and Jamil Sharif on trumpet. And they performed two compositions by Sidney Bechet. Good stuff.

Next, I can barely contain my excitement, heading to the Belize Pavilion. The smallest venue in the festival was this year featuring music from Belize. Most importantly, this included the great band, The Garifuna Collective. The Garifuna people are a unique people in Central America, a blending of Native peoples and Africans who settled there after two slave ships were wrecked off the coast of Belize. Their music sounds more like West African music than Latin Music. The Garifuna Collective on this occasion consisted of two guitarists (the lead guitarist is an amazing and subtle player), bass guitar, three percussionists, and four vocalists. Their set is astounding--great songs with wonderful melodies and powerful rhythms. Simply great.

Next, to the Jazz Tent, where Victor Goines (on clarinet, soprano and tenor saxophones) is leading a quartet. This set is also a fine one. And he plays Petite Fleur on clarinet--to hear two different groups playing Sidney Bechet's music on the same day, now that is a treat.

Next, I stayed put in the Jazz Tent to maintain my excellent seat (anticipating Jack Dejohnette) for vocalist Leah Chase. Not really my cup of tea, she was fine, though, and had a quite excellent New Orleans alto player (I didn't catch his name) in her backing quartet, so the set proved to be of some merit.

Ending the day for me in the Jazz Tent was Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison. I hadn't seen Jack Dejohnette since the the late 1980s, so it was a thrill to see him again. The trio was quite good, especially Mat Garrison on bass guitar/electronics. The highlight was the closing and epic version of The Two Jimmys (dedicated to Jimmy Garrison and Jimi Hendrix).

The foregoing is a lot of music, but the last day of the First Weekend was rather astounding. All five groups I saw put on peak performances. 

So I started the day again taking advantage of the opportunity to hear The Garifuna Collective perform another (longer) set. The result was the same as the prior day--incredibly intense and exciting music.

Next, to nearby Economy Hall for a set by Leroy Jones & New Orleans' Finest. In researching the groups appearing at the festival, I had read various testimonials to the effect that Leroy Jones was the finest unknown trumpeter in New Orleans. And in fact he proved to be a quite wonderful trumpet player. Another excellent experience in Economy Hall. And the  contrast of well done traditional jazz was a perfect bridge after the intensity of The Garifuna Collective.

Now, moving to the Jazz Tent for the duration of the day. First off, the Herlin Riley Quintet. I really like his drumming, recalling seeing him with Ahmad Jamal and Wynton Marsalis back in the 1980s (in fact, he was the best thing about Wynton's group, as I recall). His group was absolutely smoking--he had brought down alto and soprano saxophonist Godwin Louis and trumpeter Bruce Harris from New York, along with Emmett Cohen on piano. Riley was just as great a drummer as I recalled. A really hot set.

The next set is the big event, and the Jazz Tent becomes filled with a very large crowd. The reason, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter are appearing next. I am not sure what to expect, as I was not that enamored of their recording, 1 plus 1. It was okay, but seemed to lack something. This concert does not suffer from that affliction. Herbie Hancock performs on a Fazioli grand piano and this time, also incorporates his electronic keyboard setup. Wayne Shorter is seated throughout the concert and plays only soprano sax. The first part of the concert is the type of acoustic piano/soprano interactive improvisation I was expecting--very nice. After awhile, Herbie switches to his keyboard setup and ups the volume, and Wayne's playing becomes very aggressive--it's the old Wayne, not the diffident Wayne--the piece is incredible and long and provokes a mid-concert standing ovation. The rest of the concert, Herbie alternates between acoustic and electric keyboards, sometimes incorporating both. The concert ends with All Blues, including Wayne playing some Charlie Parker quotes. The concert was amazing and felt like an historic event.

After that, something different is required to close the day. And Terence Blanchard's E Collective was up to the task. Terence's chops were in very excellent shape this day. The group is high volume fusion, with a really strong bottom on the bass guitar player and drummer. This was another great set, ending with the anthemic Cosmic Warrior, bringing the day to an end with a suitable peak of intensity.

Edited by kh1958

michael-chapman-1.jpg

Michael Chapman (guitar vocals), B.J. Cole (pedal steel guitar), Sarah Smout (cello) at The Greystones, Sheffield

He certainly has lived up to the title of his most successful early-70s album, 'Fully Qualified Survivor' (mid-70s now but still touring widely). One of that marvellous group of demon acoustic guitarists from Britain that lit up the 60s and early 70s. Most have sadly passed on - only Wizz Jones, as far as I can think, is still regularly active (expect to hear him again at Sidmouth this year). Excellent concert of peculiar songs (only one or two familiar), wonderful instrumental colour from his partners and, of course, utterly distinctive guitar playing. Quite a nostalgia trip - I didn't know his music in the 70s but the sound was part of that era in everything from (less rocky bits of) folk-rock to (the sensitive bits in) Led Zeppelin.  

Sarah Smout did a short set of songs accompanying herself on cello, Don't recall seeing that before. Must be a bugger to spend 15 years learning the cello only to discover you want to be Joni Mitchell.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Tonight, Abdullah Ibrahim presented at SFJazz -- "the pianist in a solo setting that reveals the depths of his genius, as well as one of the maestro’s newest and most stimulating ensembles – his Japanese-inspired Mukashi trio featuring a lineup of Ibrahim’s piano, winds and cello. With a name translating from Japanese as “once upon a time,” the group is designed to tell stories, and as their new self-titled Sunnyside album demonstrates, no one tells a tale through music like Abdullah Ibrahim."

MUKASHI TRIO
Abdullah Ibrahim piano
Cleave Guyton Jr. alto saxophone, flute, clarinet, piccolo
Noah Jackson bass, cello

And then on Sunday, Abdullah Ibrahim & Ekaya

Abdullah Ibrahim piano
Cleave Guyton Jr. alto saxophone, flute, clarinet, piccolo
Bobby LaVell tenor saxophone
Alex Harding baritone saxophone
Andrae Murchison trombone, trumpet
Noah Jackson bass, cello
Will Terrill drums