What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MUKASHI TRIO
Abdullah Ibrahim piano
Cleave Guyton Jr. alto saxophone, flute, clarinet, piccolo
Noah Jackson bass, cello

So this was a unique and rewarding show.  The music was very intimate with many sections written out and at times sounding more like classical music.  Given the instrumentation, the music was quite beautiful and at times delicate and ethereal, but never wispy -- Abdullah Ibrahim's music is always grounded.

The program began with Mr. Ibrahim playing solo piano for about 15-20 minutes.  It was one continuous performance with one theme segueing into the next and that is kind of how the rest of the concert would go once the other musicians joined him.  Mr. Guyton played flute and piccolo in the first set and added clarinet into the program in the second set.  He was very good and I was impressed by his ability to play passionate music on the piccolo.

The music tended to flow from one piece to the next.  From what I could tell, Mr. Jackson played without music and would tell from the vamping by the pianist whether he had to switch from bass to cello or vice versa.  Much of the music was new to me as I have not heard the CD recorded by this group, but there were also reworkings of some old familiar Abdullah Ibrahim compositions.  The show concluded with a lovely version of "Water From An Ancient Well".

Abdullah Ibrahim is 81 now, but he certainly gave no indication that he is ready to take it easy.  This concert had two roughly one hour sets plus an encore and while his piano playing was not the primary focus of the show after that opening number, he still was very involved in the proceedings even when he laid out. 

I wish there had been a larger audience.  I was up in the balcony, but from what I could see, it seemed like the place was maybe 65-70% full and some left at the intermission.  Maybe there will be a better crowd for tonight's performance.

Tim Berne's Snakeoil (@ Parabola Arts Centre, Cheltenham)

Tim Berne alto sax
Oscar Noriega woodwinds
Ryan Ferreira guitar
Matt Mitchell piano
Ches Smith drums

Exciting concert. Hard to get my head round to start. Berne seems to write knotty, mathematical themes that then cycle - clear structures but I wasn't connecting. Then mid concert a wonderful passage of improvising for the two reeds got me and I was there until the end. Absolutely stunning Berne solo in the final piece.

Alex Hawkins had Birmingham students dotted round the hall just before the start playing an lextended chord and subtly colouring it. Nice feel - like the opening to a grand piece.

The Printmakers (venue as above)

Nikki Iles piano
Norma Winstone vocals
Mike Walker guitar
Mark Lockheart sax
Steve Watts bass
James Maddren drums

Supergroup in my world. Lived up to the high expectations generated by what was my favourite jazz record of last year. Norma's records tend to be quite pastel - all those qualities in this group but a real fire and tremendous use of instrumental colour. Helped by going nowhere near the usual standards - tunes by Ralph Towner, John Taylor, Joni Mitchell and group members, often with Norma's words. But lots of solo room too. Special mention for Mike Walker who was outstanding - Britain's best kept secret.

Impressed by the venue - never been there before. Modern theatre with good acoustics and sight lines.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 4/15/2016 at 10:20 AM, BFrank said:

Every year the SFJAZZ Collective's mission is to select a music legend and then woodshed for several weeks. They then re-arrange that artist's compositions for the ensemble and also write new pieces with that artist's influence in mind. When they're ready to go, they tour, record live, and then release a 2 CD album that's split evenly between originals and 'covers'. They've only recently expanded the artists they are honoring from strictly jazz to pop with Stevie Wonder and more recently MJ.

One would think they would finally do the right thing and dedicate next season to the music of one of the group's founding members, Bobby Hutcherson, while he is still among us.  Instead, how much ya wanna bet next year's honored composer will be Prince?

I saw one of the group's shows in SF this year in which they played music associated with Michael Jackson.  I enjoyed it more than I expected.  I see they have the CD out of this music and I will eventually get it.  I thought a couple of the originals by group members were pretty good and they are included on the 2 CD set.

Thomas Stronen drums
Anders Jormin double bass
Tore Brunborg sax

(@ Parabola Arts Centre, Cheltenham)

Originally planned as a concert for the group Meadow with John Taylor, the other members decided to perform a memorial (empty piano on stage). Very ECM. Superb musicianship - but I found it hard to warm to. Skimpy themes that failed to stick; above all, wasn't at all keen on the tenor which seemed to slowly sculpt lines without any real personality. Music came alive when the drums and bass were on their own. Bass in particular superb. Would have been better, to my ears, as a duo concert.

Mulatu Astatke vibraphone, wurlitzer and percussion
James Arben saxophone, bass clarinet, flute 
Byron Wallen trumpet (not tonight - not sure who played)
Danny Keane cello
Alexander Hawkins piano and keyboard
John Edwards double bass
Richard Olatunde Baker percussion
Tom Skinner drums

(@ Jazz Stage at Cheltenham Jazz Festival)

Thrilling concert. A band of Brits accompany an Ethiopian legend in music as exciting as any Afro-Cuban band.  Included that tune that became a Radio 4 hit around the time of the Ethiopiques compilation. Superb soloing by all concerned - don't think I've ever heard John Edwards play tonal, groove based music before but when he came to solo he was as off the wall as ever. Crowd went wild.

On Sunday, I arose early to take the short (65 minutes) flight to New Orleans to attend the final day of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Unlike the first weekend which I attended, with perfect weather, the second weekend was marred by thunderstorms, with Saturday's deluge resulting in an early closing of the festival. On Sunday, I arrived just as rain was beginning, making it to the Jazz Tent just in time. A fierce storm ensued, which eventually settled down to just hard rain for the rest of the day. So I settled into the Jazz Tent for the duration.

First, a vocalist--Nyo Jones. Okay. With thunder and lightning and sheets of driving rain effects.

Next, The Trumpet Mafia. A fifteen piece band, with ten (!) trumpet players and a five piece rhythm section, plus Nicholas Payton as guest soloist. An excellent group--I really enjoyed their loud and  raucous set. Nicholas Payton's playing was the most exciting I've ever heard from him.

Followed by Ellis Marsalis. His very mainstream playing I've always found a bit dull; today was no exception, but his group (especially the trumpet player, one of the members of the Trumpet Mafia as well as the Jason Marsalis group, and the tenor/soprano saxophonist) was fine, as were Marsalis' original compositions. A decent set.

Now, getting serious, with The Mashup (Ike Stubblefield on organ, Terrence Higgins on drums, and Grant Green Jr. on guitar). An outstanding soul jazz group, this was one terrific set. This is and sounds like a working group, and I really enjoyed the organ player, as well as Grant Green Jr. I did not realize Grant Green's son was such a fine player. An exciting set I feel fortunate to have witnessed.

Finally, Heads of State (Gary Bartz, Al Foster, Larry Willis, and David Williams) bring the day to an appropriate climax. Gary Bartz attired in an elegant silver suit matching his long silvery hair, performed an intense and inspired set. Larry Willis, I used to see fairly often at the Caravan of Dreams, and it was great to see him again. He sounded wonderful. The whole group did, actually.

The final group in the Jazz Tent for the day was Chris Botti, so I was out of there. As I was exiting, B.B. King's band was playing at the Gentilly Stage, and they actually were sounding good; I would have stayed but for not wanting to stand in a muddy field in the rain.

Now I have to wait a whole year for the next festival. Supposedly they are working on bringing 150 Cuban musicians to the festival next year. I can't wait.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

On Sunday, I arose early to take the short (65 minutes) flight to New Orleans to attend the final day of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Unlike the first weekend which I attended, with perfect weather, the second weekend was marred by thunderstorms, with Saturday's deluge resulting in an early closing of the festival. On Sunday, I arrived just as rain was beginning, making it to the Jazz Tent just in time. A fierce storm ensued, which eventually settled down to just hard rain for the rest of the day. So I settled into the Jazz Tent for the duration.

First, a vocalist--Nyo Jones. Okay. With thunder and lightning and sheets of driving rain effects.

Next, The Trumpet Mafia. A fifteen piece band, with ten (!) trumpet players and a five piece rhythm section, plus Nicholas Payton as guest soloist. An excellent group--I really enjoyed their loud and  raucous set. Nicholas Payton's playing was the most exciting I've ever heard from him.

Followed by Ellis Marsalis. His very mainstream playing I've always found a bit dull; today was no exception, but his group (especially the trumpet player, one of the members of the Trumpet Mafia as well as the Jason Marsalis group, and the tenor/soprano saxophonist) was fine, as were Marsalis' original compositions. A decent set.

Now, getting serious, with The Mashup (Ike Stubblefield on organ, Terrence Higgins on drums, and Grant Green Jr. on guitar). An outstanding soul jazz group, this was one terrific set. This is and sounds like a working group, and I really enjoyed the organ player, as well as Grant Green Jr. I did not realize Grant Green's son was such a fine player. An exciting set I feel fortunate to have witnessed.

Finally, Heads of State (Gary Bartz, Al Foster, Larry Willis, and David Williams) bring the day to an appropriate climax. Gary Bartz attired in an elegant silver suit matching his long silvery hair, performed an intense and inspired set. Larry Willis, I used to see fairly often at the Caravan of Dreams, and it was great to see him again. He sounded wonderful. The whole group did, actually.

The final group in the Jazz Tent for the day was Chris Botti, so I was out of there. As I was exiting, B.B. King's band was playing at the Gentilly Stage, and they actually were sounding good; I would have stayed but for not wanting to stand in a muddy field in the rain.

Now I have to wait a whole year for the next festival. Supposedly they are working on bringing 150 Cuban musicians to the festival next year. I can't wait.

Does sound good! :tup

19 hours ago, duaneiac said:

One would think they would finally do the right thing and dedicate next season to the music of one of the group's founding members, Bobby Hutcherson, while he is still among us.  Instead, how much ya wanna bet next year's honored composer will be Prince?

I saw one of the group's shows in SF this year in which they played music associated with Michael Jackson.  I enjoyed it more than I expected.  I see they have the CD out of this music and I will eventually get it.  I thought a couple of the originals by group members were pretty good and they are included on the 2 CD set.

You make a good point about dedicating the season to Bobby. I used to see him regularly around the Jazz Center, but not for a while. Last time I saw him he looked pretty frail while hooked up to a mobile oxygen tank. Agreed about how the Collective is usually able to adapt the annual composer's music to their own sound, and also make it interesting no matter who it is.

+++

BTW, I have friends at JazzFest and heard about the horrendous rainstorm this past weekend!

Laura-300x1991.jpg?0932fe

Laura Cantrell (Sheffield Memorial Hall)

Very nice concert of this one-time favourite of John Peel. Voice-guitar accompanied by electric bass and old-fashioned, twangy electric guitar (with a bit of dobro). My knowledge of the tributaries of country music is slight but this seems to hark back to a pre-Nashville sound era - lots of references to Kitty Wells and Merle Haggard (who might be contemporary with Nashville sound country but on a different path). Laura has a frail voice without a great range, often wobbly in pitch, but, like Neil Young, she is utterly distinct. Great songs - nice to see a voice I only know from record replicate the unfussy approach in a concert setting.    

Band.jpg

Moulettes (@ The Greystones, Sheffield)

Enjoyed this lot so much in Halifax last year that I couldn't miss their new album run through at what seems to be my local (not in picture). How can you not love a pop/rock band fronted by electric guitar, cello and bassoon playing songs inspired by marine biology? Think Porcupine Tree with the Boswell Sisters on vocals. Great night - we even got a three minute rant from the bassoon player who is also a junior doctor about the current dispute (got one of the loudest cheers of the night).

Only issue was that some hipster got in and took away all the chairs. Standing up for three hour is clearly 'cool' but it's a pain in the neck if you are ancient - and over half the audience fell into that category. Apart from anything else it makes it harder to see. Chairs rule, man! (there, I made them 'cool').   

sddefault.jpg

Greg Osby and the Vein Trio (Crookes Social Club. Sheffield)

Very good concert linking up Osby with this marvellous group of Swiss musicians (apparently they've worked together since the start of the century after the band had the audacity to e-mail Osby and suggest they play together!). All originals in the main set from the players, a nice Jitterbug Waltz for encore. I do like Osby's tart alto; nice sense of logical progression to his solos building to a fiery climax. The trio showed they had been playing together for ages (two brothers in the band) - perfect in ensembles, all excellent soloists.

Bit of a trauma for Sheffield Jazz. They've had to stop using their regular venue at sudden notice; secured this working men's social club (I know, should be 'persons') which has a good concert hall but that was in use. So we ended up in a small room that looked like a living room and smelt like a stable (this gig only....in the proper hall in September). The good thing was there was no need for amplification - amazing the difference that makes to the sound. So this was no 'Arts' venue - we had cabaret in the main hall, jazz in the stable lounge and bingo in the bar in between! THe band kept referring to the room in terms of wry astonishment. 

Finding it was a bugger - tucked in a dense rabbit warren of streets in one of the hillier parts of Sheffield - with the main road through closed for road repairs. A real adventure. 

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

sddefault.jpg

Greg Osby and the Vein Trio (Crookes Social Club. Sheffield)

Very good concert linking up Osby with this marvellous group of Swiss musicians (apparently they've worked together since the start of the century after the band had the audacity to e-mail Osby and suggest they play together!). All originals in the main set from the players, a nice Jitterbug Waltz for encore. I do like Osby's tart alto; nice sense of logical progression to his solos building to a fiery climax. The trio showed they had been playing together for ages (two brothers in the band) - perfect in ensembles, all excellent soloists.

Bit of a trauma for Sheffield Jazz. They've had to stop using their regular venue at sudden notice; secured this working men's social club (I know, should be 'persons') which has a good concert hall but that was in use. So we ended up in a small room that looked like a living room and smelt like a stable (this gig only....in the proper hall in September). The good thing was there was no need for amplification - amazing the difference that makes to the sound. So this was no 'Arts' venue - we had cabaret in the main hall, jazz in the stable lounge and bingo in the bar in between! THe band kept referring to the room in terms of wry astonishment. 

Finding it was a bugger - tucked in a dense rabbit warren of streets in one of the hillier parts of Sheffield - with the main road through closed for road repairs. A real adventure. 

Sounds like a great gig despite the venue problems. I noticed it advertised and decided it was just too far away for me. Last year I saw Dave Liebman with the Vein Trio at Manchester's Band on the Wall and they were excellent.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Sounds like a great gig despite the venue problems. I noticed it advertised and decided it was just too far away for me. Last year I saw Dave Liebman with the Vein Trio at Manchester's Band on the Wall and they were excellent.

You'd have found it difficult to get to from the station. There are buses that way and there seemed to be a vibrant shopping/eating suburb nearby so it's hardly out in the sticks (I suspect it might be a digs area for Sheffield University nearby) - but needs a bit of local knowledge to get there. Not an ideal location for pulling in the chance attender. They seem a bit nervous - thrusting flyers for the autumn programme at us, starting off with a £5 gig in September etc. 

The unfortunate casualty of the current troubles was the Allison Neale gig due in a fortnight which has had to be deferred to next spring - I was looking forward to that. 

Good line-up for the autumn:

• Benn Clatworthy Quartet - Crookes Social Club
  • Tim Garland Electric Quartet - Crookes Social Club
  • Glow Quartet (Trish Clowes etc) - Crucible Studio
  • Gilad Atzmon and Alan Barnes’ Lowest Common Denominator - Crookes Social Club
  • Pavillon - Crookes Social Club
  • Clark Tracey Quintet - Crookes Social Club
  • Stan Sulzmann & Nikki Iles Duo - Crucible Studio

Some favourites there. 

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

You'd have found it difficult to get to from the station. There are buses that way and there seemed to be a vibrant shopping/eating suburb nearby so it's hardly out in the sticks (I suspect it might be a digs area for Sheffield University nearby) - but needs a bit of local knowledge to get there. Not an ideal location for pulling in the chance attender. They seem a bit nervous - thrusting flyers for the autumn programme at us, starting off with a £5 gig in September etc. 

The unfortunate casualty of the current troubles was the Allison Neale gig due in a fortnight which has had to be deferred to next spring - I was looking forward to that. 

Good line-up for the autumn:

• Benn Clatworthy Quartet - Crookes Social Club
  • Tim Garland Electric Quartet - Crookes Social Club
  • Glow Quartet (Trish Clowes etc) - Crucible Studio
  • Gilad Atzmon and Alan Barnes’ Lowest Common Denominator - Crookes Social Club
  • Pavillon - Crookes Social Club
  • Clark Tracey Quintet - Crookes Social Club
  • Stan Sulzmann & Nikki Iles Duo - Crucible Studio

Some favourites there. 

Thanks for the programme. Glad to hear the north of England is not out of bounds for Allison Neale: she's never played in the north west to my knowledge. Would love to hear her - preferably with Dave Cliff (who used to be a mate of mine back in his student days at Leeds College of Music.)

Edited by BillF

Agreed Bill, Allison and Dave Cliff were great together.  Her current band with Nat Steele is okay,  Neale still finds some interesting tunes you don't hear elsewhere but it doesn't work for me like the quartet with Cliff.

What a great show last night at The Ragattabar in Cambridge, MA. Eric Alexander brought in Harold Mabern, Nat Reeves & Joe Farnsworth and they delivered an incredible set. I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a while. My feet never stopped moving. It might've helped that I had great seats. :)

20160514_195110_shrunk.jpg

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

What a great show last night at The Ragattabar in Cambridge, MA. Eric Alexander brought in Harold Mabern, Nat Reeves & Joe Farnsworth and they delivered an incredible set. I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a while. My feet never stopped moving. It might've helped that I had great seats. :)

20160514_195110_shrunk.jpg

Now that's a show I'd have loved to see! Have seen Eric twice, but never with a rhythm team like that!

Bebel Gilberto at the Kessler Theater. A pretty spare concert, with just voice and guitar.  Live Brazilian music is rare in these parts, and there is nothing wrong with her voice or the guitarist--I liked a few songs, but overall not so much, something was missing for me.

Saw Cassandra Wilson at SFJAZZ a couple of nights ago. Nice set of songs celebrating Billy Holiday, from her most recent album. Very solid band with her, but were mixed a little too loud in some places unfortunately. The only name I recognized was bassist Lonnie Plaxico who's played with her off and on since the early 90s.

First set only the trio without the drummer - not my cup of java - not sure it was expected - nice playing but 50 minutes of continuous improvisation without the drummer when I'm expecting the drummer took me over half of that 50 minutes to open up to listen. Roberts unaccompanied solo towards the end had me a bit interested. When the set ended at a few minutes past 10:00, Malaby said Ben Perowsky would be joining the group for the second set. I hadn't seen him in almost 20 years and I know he's good but.....maybe no one here would believe it if I told you....cuz I was planning on going home angry - I came to see a full quartet with a DRUMMER!!!

Perowsky shows up at 10:45 / band finally starts at 11:05 or so and I'm losing patience quickly - questioning why I stayed as I was trying to get out of there after the first set before Tony made the announcement....

the next continuous 50 minutes should be the best live jazz record of the past 5 years in an alternate universe but nobody knows or really hears my guy too well, I think - for me better now on soprano - in fact for me - pretty damn untouchable on the straight horn / never have I heard him wail and scorch the earth like he did last night and THEN!!! a section on the big horn a half hour in with the band in full fucking roar - holy moly - and Hank Roberts with a little stick - with both Formanek & Roberts bowing - vibrations to end all vibrations

and Perowsky is what Malaby said when he introduced him as the *great* Ben Perowsky / I had no fucking idea that Malaby was right / the roster of truly world class drummers in NY is insane - here is another one / a few people besides me screamed with joy or terror a few times when things got very very intense.

see I know none of you believe me,,,,ignore these dudes at your peril

blood and guts, baby

Edited by Steve Reynolds