What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 10/16/2016 at 0:21 PM, BillF said:

I'll be at his Christmas show with David Newton and local rhythm section at Malcolm Frazer's house in Cheadle on 16th December.

I didn't notice Newton as part of the programme but he's there. Bonus! I don't think I've seen him since Appleby died nearly a decade back. 

On 10/16/2016 at 0:21 PM, BillF said:

I'll be at his Christmas show with David Newton and local rhythm section at Malcolm Frazer's house in Cheadle on 16th December.

I didn't notice Newton as part of the programme but he's there. Bonus! I don't think I've seen him since Appleby died nearly a decade back. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Yes, both Newtons will be there!

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Console yourself with these clips from Saturday's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmulvuH2Tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-bhz23MQ9s

Recognize Dan Whieldon?

Very nice - don't know any of those names apart from Whieldon. My sort of venue too - looks like a university seminar room. 

Is that John O'Donnell on the front row on the far right (he does have a sense of irony) in the second clip? 

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Very nice - don't know any of those names apart from Whieldon. My sort of venue too - looks like a university seminar room. 

Is that John O'Donnell on the front row on the far right (he does have a sense of irony) in the second clip? 

The "university seminar room" is the upstairs room of a Tesco Express! Gigs will help pay for Marmite!

Image result for music

Andy Sheppard Hotel Bristol (Bonington Theatre, Arnold, Nottingham)

Andy Sheppard (saxophone); Denny Ilett (guitar); Percy Pursglove (bass & flugelhorn); Mark Whitlam (drums)

Didn't really take to this in the first couple of numbers - a little too close to the Scofield/Lovano band. And then in the third tune the whole thing really took wing, especially with a tremendous duet between Sheppard and Pursglove (on flugelhorn) playing simultaneous lines weaving around each other. From there on it was marvellous. Never realised Purseglove was also a bass player (his main instrument in this band). I've seen him mainly in freer contexts (though he was in a conventional setting in a Chriustine Jensen/Nikki Iles band I saw in the summer). His two flugel features in the centre of each set were absolute highlights - beautifully lyrical and fluid. Definitely a name to watch - clearly a man of broad horizons. Guitarist was new to me - very good but at the funkier/rockier end of the jazz spectrum (in this context at least).        

Last Saturday, I traveled to New York City to attend a seminar Tuesday to Thursday. So I had five consecutive evenings to hear live music.

On Saturday, to the Appel Room of Jazz at Lincoln Center, for Elio Villafranca's Letters to Mother Africa. The venue is, to say the least, quite beautiful, with the stage backed by a giant wall of glass overlooking a spectacular vista of the city from a sixth floor location. I was unfamiliar with the leader, a Cuban pianist; I attended because he had Billy Harper and David Murray on tenor saxophones. Also Dezron Douglas on bass, Lewis Nash on drums, and Abdou Mdoup on percussion. The repertoire was a mixture of originals (from the leader) and African tinged classic jazz compositions (including from Billy Harper, Randy Weston, Louis Armstrong (King of the Zulus), Duke Ellington (Afrique), and Freddie Hubbard). It proved to be a thrilling concert. Billy Harper was featured a lot and sounded fantastic.

Sunday night, to the Village Vanguard for Tom Harrell's Something Gold, Something Blue. This was the same group as on his new High Note recording (Charles Altura guitar, Ugonna Okegwo on bass, E.J. Strickland on drums), substituting Dave Douglas on trumpet live for Ambrose Akinmusire on the recording. The album has a number of striking compositions, coupled with its unusual two trumpet front line, and the two sets I heard included most of them. Another fine evening of music.

On Monday night, early on to the Zinc Bar to hear some Brazilian music--a Brazilian singer, Sarah Cabrall, performing with piano and percussion. She sang well, performing songs by Djavan, Jobim, Joao Bosco and others. Next, to the 55 Bar to hear Mike Stern. Apparently Mike Stern is just recently returning to performance after suffering a broken shoulder, the group this night was a quartet, with Bob Francescini on tenor sax, and the amazing Kim Thompson on drums. Mike Stern and Kim Thompson are truly an electrifying combination. I do recollect the days when I was ambivalent in regard to Mike Stern--long ago hearing him with Miles Davis and another time with Micheal Brecker. But after hearing him multiple times in the tiny 55 Bar, I realized the very first time there that Miles Davis as usual knew what he was doing. This evening was really great.

Tuesday, I ventured uptown to 129th Street to the Jazz Museum of Harlem. I thought I was attending a duo concert of (another Cuban) pianist David Virelles and percussionist Ramon Diaz, but it turned out to be an interview/lecture on Afro Cuban influences in jazz, with a couple of musical performance interludes. It was interesting but the performance part was the highlight, and I wanted more of that. Next, back to the 55 Bar for Leni Stern. I like her spiky guitar playing, and her combination of jazz and African music, featuring the wonderful Mamadou Ba on bass guitar. Her vocals are perhaps a bit of an acquired taste. Another excellent evening of music.

Wednesday, my last night, I ventured uptown again, this time to Smoke, for my first visit there. The club reminds  me a bit of Sweet Basil, only with a lot better food. This was for Ben Allison's Easy Way Trio (Ted Nash on tenor saxophone and Steve Cardenas on guitar). Some quiet music after two nights on the louder end of the spectrum. This group is patterned after Jimmy Giuffre trios and performs mostly compositions by Jim Hall and Jimmy Giuffre. It was a slow night at Smoke, so I was able to stay and hear three sets of this pleasing music. The group has a new release (Quiet Revolution), but only on vinyl and generally available from a  label that has a very pricy subscription plan, so I was happy to be able to buy one at the club.

Edited by kh1958

Jazz Concert: Heaven in a Nightclub

Friday, October 21, 2016, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Location: Christ the King Presbyterian Church, 325 Fayette St, Conshohocken, PA 19428, Conshohocken, PA US 19428

Cost: Adults: $12.00, Students: $7.00

Download: Download Event

monkimage.php?mediaDirectory=mediafiles&On October 21st at 7PM our church will be hosting the next event in our CTK Arts Series. This event will be a jazz concert entitled, Heaven in a Nightclub. The music and program will be performed by six musicians and will feature Dr. Bill Edgar, who is widely known as Professor of Apologetics at Westminster Theological Seminary, and Jazz Vocalist and Composer,  Ruth Naomi Floyd.

Image result for the glow quartet trish

The Glow Quartet @ Sheffield Crucible Theatre (Sheffield Jazz event)

Trish Clowes - tenor; Gareth Williams - piano and, er, voice; Calum Gourlay - bass; Martin France - drums

Another marvellous evening of home grown talent (after the Great Brexit Bugger-up I doubt if we'll see much overseas talent in the future out here in the provinces - bloody foreigners!). Trish Clowes is a relatively new name, emerging as a splendid player and imaginative composer; Gareth Williams is an Evans-ish pianist with long experience in all sorts of bands.

Clowes own quartet plays mainly original music, inside but pushing the boundaries (she's a big Wayne Shorter fan). Tonight had a few originals but was mainly standards (with Williams doing deadpan singing in that 'the composer sings' style) and jazz classics with just a few own tunes. Highlights included an absolutely beautiful ballad (Gordon Jenkins) duet opening the second set - just a chorus each but Clowes made the most of it in a breathy Getzish way. Best of all was a long take on a McCoy Tyner tune - very much in the mid 60s Coltrane Quartet style with all four players boiling over. Special mention for Calum Gourlay whose bass solos were wonderfully melodic throughout.   

Saw the SFJAZZ Collective on Thursday. This year's tribute is Miles, and it was one of the best shows I've seen from those guys. When artists interpret Miles it can sometimes sound derivative or they are trying too hard to replicate his sound. This group made each Miles piece sound fresh and the new compositions complimented the covers extremely well. The musicianship all around was excellent, as well.

On 10/22/2016 at 8:09 AM, sidewinder said:

Yep, another band who were one of the highlights at Swanage last Summer. I enjoyed their performance at the Methodist Chapel.

Did Trish Clowes tell the story of her tenor and how it got its name 'Shirley'?

She did. Before introducing a song she had written of that name. Her lyrics won't be getting a Nobel prize for their contribution to world literature! 

Listened to her second album again yesterday - a real gem. Reading the liner notes she seems really intrigued by the point where jazz meets 'classical' music. Her husband is a string player so she probably has a foot in both worlds. Definitely a player to keep an ear on. 

In Seattle, the Earshot Jazz Festival has reached the halfway point.  Despite being out of town for the first weekend, I've managed to be present for these shows:

Kris Davis & Craig Taborn -- piano duo

Georg Graewe -- solo piano

Tom Rainey & Ingrid Laubrock

Scott Amendola & Wil Blades, with local group Hunter Gather

Frode Gjerstad Trio

Lucian Ban & Mat Maneri -- "Transylvanian Concert"

Manuel Valera Trio

Conference Call (Joe Fonda, Gebhard Ullmann et al.), with local sax-drums duo Bad Luck

Next up:  two duos, Michael Bisio & Kirk Knuffke, and Paul Rucker & Hans Teuber

On October 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Utevsky said:

In Seattle, the Earshot Jazz Festival has reached the halfway point.  Despite being out of town for the first weekend, I've managed to be present for these shows:

Kris Davis & Craig Taborn -- piano duo

Georg Graewe -- solo piano

Tom Rainey & Ingrid Laubrock

Scott Amendola & Wil Blades, with local group Hunter Gather

Frode Gjerstad Trio

Lucian Ban & Mat Maneri -- "Transylvanian Concert"

Manuel Valera Trio

Conference Call (Joe Fonda, Gebhard Ullmann et al.), with local sax-drums duo Bad Luck

Next up:  two duos, Michael Bisio & Kirk Knuffke, and Paul Rucker & Hans Teuber

That's a nice run of shows!

calling it quits a bit earlier than usual today ... going to Basel for this - they just took Janusz Stefanski from the line-up listing and announced a change ... so I guess it will be Ntshoko all the way then:

DO 27.10.2016: Jazz gegen Apartheid Frankfurt «Celebrating the music of Johnny Dyani»

MakayaNtshoko.jpg      

Claude Deppa: trumpet
Tobias Delius: tenor sax
Daniel Guggenheim: tenor sax
Allen Jacobson: trombone
Christopher Dell: vibraphone
John Edwards: bass
Makaya Ntshoko: drums

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

calling it quits a bit earlier than usual today ... going to Basel for this - they just took Janusz Stefanski from the line-up listing and announced a change ... so I guess it will be Ntshoko all the way then:

DO 27.10.2016: Jazz gegen Apartheid Frankfurt «Celebrating the music of Johnny Dyani»

MakayaNtshoko.jpg      

Tobias Delius: tenor sax
Daniel Guggenheim: tenor sax
Allen Jacobson: trombone

Looks like a great line up, enjoy and then send them to London please

On 27.10.2016 at 2:23 PM, king ubu said:

MakayaNtshoko.jpg      

Tobias Delius: tenor sax, clarinet
Daniel Guggenheim: tenor sax, soprano sax
Allen Jacobson: trombone, euphonium

It was a blast! Ntshoko seemed a bit insecure for the first one or two tunes (all Dyani-penned btw - think the encore/tag was a BoB thing though). Deppa was lyrical but punchy and witty, doing plenty of hardbop smartass things, Jacobson (hitherto unknown to me, a Canadian) wonderfully melodic and very much of a virtuoso with a great high register on trombone and amazing facility on euphonium, the two sax players were doing great, totally without any competition, just digging into the tunes ... Delius his usual nutty self, honking, screaming, riding little melodic phrases and having a blast all the time, a few times switching to clarinet (blatantly loud, goddammit!), Guggenheim (the other unknown-to-me guy on stage) was more solid on tenor, but very good, too, on soprano as well - he and Deppa had some real chemistry going on, presenting some tunes and strains in unison (trumpet/soprano) ... Dell was amazing, a few of his solos really hard to believe, the four mallets flying. Edwards was the heart and center of the band, very vocal, holding everything together and obviously having a great time. Ntshoko, as I said, seemed to take a moment, but he still has it going, I think. He was rough, short, completely no-nonsense, his hipness being the absence of any kind of hipness (i.e. that hard bop reference I made about Deppa, on drums I'd think of Ben Riley maybe, but the proper reference for Ntshoko would rather be Art Taylor, I think - to the point, sparse yet fast in reaction and able to give directions and push the band).

The main thing though was how great they all were as a band. I had to think of Mingus' work shop (earliest sixties) quite often, Edwards was throbbing and thriving, shouting encouragement again and again, and playing somewhat earthier and meatier than in other settings. It all being a Dyani festival, it was of course wonderful to have such a great musician on bass. What I also like a lot is that at Bird's Eye, most of it is live, no amplification (a pick-up mic on the bass and two mics above the vibes, that was all) - I guess playing like that is not that easy, for guys used to have microphones and monitor speakers and all that - but for this listener, it was all the nicer like that! The voices of the four horns blended together marvelously, they struck the right balance between playing together and slightly apart (that typical ZA thing, not sure I've heard it elsewhere like that, at least not as a constantly used element to create suspense and - some - dissonance and friction. 

Forgot to say: of course Irène Schweizer was in the audience, too - love it that she keeps going out and see both her old buddies as well as young talents.

coming up - Jazzfest Berlin - yowzah!

Haus der Berliner Festspiele, Große Bühne - Do 03.11.2016, 19:00
Julia Hülsmann Quartet & Anna-Lena Schnabel
Mette Henriette
Wadada Leo Smith’s Great Lakes Quartet

Haus der Berliner Festspiele - Fr 04.11.2016, 16:00
The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith

Haus der Berliner Festspiele, Große Bühne - Fr 04.11.2016, 19:00
Joshua Redman – Brad Mehldau Duo
Globe Unity Orchestra
Myra Melford’s Snowy Egret

Haus der Berliner Festspiele, Große Bühne - Sa 05.11.2016, 19:00