What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 31/10/2016 at 10:03 AM, king ubu said:

Yep, first time in my life actually ...

I can see why looking at that line up! It's worth the trip just for Globe Unity alone let alone Lehman's Octet, a Risse big band, Ronin and a big band (how is that going to work?) and then to top it all the incomparable Matana Roberts performing a tribute to the incomparable Pina Bausch. It puts the upcoming London festival to shame for it's original programming

Tonight I will visit the '39. Göttinger Jazzfestival' http://www.jazzfestival-goettingen.de/index2.php/ and hear at 

8 p.m. Oregon with Ralph Towner (g, p), Paul McCandless (oboe, english horn, sax), Paolino Dalla Porta (b), Mark Walker (dr)

10 p.m. Adam Bałdych (vl), Helge Lien (p), Thomas Fonnesbaek (b), Per Oddvar Johansen (dr)

12 p.m. Ed Motta (voc, fender rhodes), Arto Mäkelä (g), Matti Klein (p, keys), Yoràn Vroom (dr)

Jazzfest Berlin was great, all in all ... will try and write some here, too, but for those that care and read German:

http://forum.rollingstone.de/foren/topic/2016-jazzgigs-konzerte-festivals/page/9/#post-9997189

In short, a ranking:

old and young masters: Wadada Leo Smith & Alexander Hawkins * * * * *

followed by (Future of Jazz I): DeJohnette/Coltrane/Garrison * * * *1/2

old master can do it twice (he has time and space and noise and silence with him): Wadada Leo Smith's Great Lakes Quartet * * * *1/2

eight young masters at once (Future of Jazz II): Steve Lehman Octet * * * *1/2

noisy old (and young, actually grandfathers, fathers, and sons - with lots of heart and soul) basterds still having it: Globe Unity Orchestra * * * *

biggest surprise (existential stuff indeed - Future of Jazz III): Eve Risser's White Desert Orchestra * * * *1/2

... followed by (Future of Jazz IV): Myra Melford's Snowy Egret * * * *

not jazz, but fit in well (and the concert finally opened up her music for me): Julia Holter & Strings * * *1/2

middle grounds wearing suit (or acting as if): Joshua Redman/Brad Mehldau duo, Nik Bärtsch's Ronin & hr-Bigband, Mette Henriette * * *

somewhat behind (not this future for German jazz, please): Julia Hülsmann Quartet & Anna-Lena Schnabel * *1/2

please never again (the big ego show): Angelika Niescier/Florian Weber Quintet * *

Tonight I will visit the '39. Göttinger Jazzfestival' http://www.jazzfestival-goettingen.de/index2.php/  again and hear at 

8 p.m. Christian Scott (tp, reverse Flugelhorn, sirenette), Logan Richardson (sax), Elena Pinderhughes (fl), Lawrence Fields                                 (p, keyb), Corey Fonville (dr)

10 p.m. David Helbock (p), Raphael Preusschl (bass-ukelele), Reinhold Schmölzer (dr)

12 p.m. Omer Avital (b), Yonathan Avishai (p), Asaf Yuria (sax), Alexander Levin (sax), Ofri Nehemya (dr)

Edited by optatio

for a couple of days i have planned to go to constellation tonite.i am familiar only with Sorey Bishop and Khari B. and not with the  French half; today when i was trying to make sure that i have date and time right i read this preview in the program i thought is worth sharing. looking forward

Vent Fort - Tyshawn Sorrey, Jeb Bishop, Frédéric Bargeon Briet, Khari B, Magic Malik, Guillaume Orti
Vent Fort - Tyshawn Sorrey, Jeb Bishop, Frédéric Bargeon Briet, Khari B, Magic Malik, Guillaume Orti
Strong wind advisory. Like all the assemblies of musicians put forward by the transatlantic network The Bridge, this formation is a story of mergings and involvements, a story born of desire and a few initial encounters. Thus, Frédéric BBriet and Guillaume Orti have spent much time together at the time of the Hask collective in the 90s. With his polyvalent ensemble Nimbus, the double bass player has made sure to invite the saxophonist, as well as flute player Magic Malik (who has also collaborated with Orti, most notably for the ensemble Octurn). Briet, during a trip to the US in 2012, met Tyshawn Sorey in New York and Jeb Bishop in Chicago, with whom he later collaborated in the ensemble Bonadventure Pencroff. Sorey, who knew Malik due to their both gravitating in the stevecolemanian solar system, share with Bishop and Khari B. a common denominator: George Lewis, the trombonist, improviser, composer, musical software programmer, and Columbia University musicologist, with whom all three have performed or studied. And Khari B., son of the saxophone and clarinet player Mwata Bowden, was the previous chairman of the AACM, on which Lewis wrote a book. All this leads Briet to say: “In this orchestra, the trajectories of each musician are like rays of light converging to the focal point of a magnifying lens. We went through this lens during the first tour, in the winter of 2014 in France, and discovered, travelled, the sublimed, other, dimension of a world we were already familiar with. We are at once on one side and the other of the looking glass, observers and observed.” Meanwhile, Tyshawn Sorey attributes to music the power “to question WHO we are and WHY we are – to question the nature of our perceptions and what they signify. Simply put, music IS. It wants nothing, needs nothing. It operates in this liminal area that separates the ‘same’ from the ‘different’. The fully conscious listener will have to abandon themselves to the sounds, clean the mirror that reflects the self, and put that self aside.”

Strong wind advisory. This is but the realest and most complex of equations: the aerial currents and counter-currents of a conjunction of individualities, each with their own personalities on their instrument, their own specific ways of making them sound, their own references and experiences (here, among the former, Charles Mingus and Arnold Schönberg, Morton Feldman and Wayne Shorter, the AACM, rock and rap, the music of India and South-East Asia; among the latter, Benoît Delbecq and Vijay Iyer, Steve Lehman and Ernest Dawkins, Anthony Braxton and Roscoe Mitchell, Peter Brötzmann and Ken Vandermark). A conjunction of individualities, each with their own life stories and their implications, their contradictions, and their imaginations. For music that is collectively improvised is the most akin to the moment of encounter, stretching it into a whole world: an encounter of musicians, an encounter with the surrounding world, and encounter that crosses parallel worlds. So, what can we expect? A modular orchestra that can play with abundance and infinity, as well as meditating the lessons of the infinitesimal (depending, for instance, on whether Tyshawn Sorey is playing the drums or the trombone, which can transform a sextet with integrated rhythms and a spoken word artist, Khari B., in the lineage of Langston Hughes or Amiri Baraka, into a near-chamber orchestra, a voice, winds, and strings ensemble), that can operate on centers of gravity and forces of attraction, on magnetic fields, musically researching multiple perspectives, using their sense of orientation, of exploration, and of construction.

Khari B. — voice
Magic Malik — flute, voice
Guillaume Orti — saxophones
Jeb Bishop — trombone
Frédéric Bargeon Briet — double bass
Tyshawn Sorey — drums, trombone
Edited by uli

Image result for hannah james folk singer

Lady Maisery at the Greystones, Sheffield

(Hannah James (vocals, piano accordion, clogs, foot percussion); Hazel Askew (vocals, concertina, harp, bells); Rowan Rheingans (vocals, fiddle, banjo, bansitar))

Lovely, imaginative arrangements of English folk music (with the odd splash of Scandinavia and the USA). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Last Saturday, an East Texas field trip to the Big Sandy Music Hall in Big Sandy, Texas (population 1370). The destination is an inexplicable music venue--someone's folly--a restored 98 year old church. The venue is quite comfortable, with a capacity of about 180 and great sound. Normally I'm indifferent to prodigies, and I like blues, less so when it is blues/rock. In this case, the artist, a 17 year old girl, creates her own exception with her amazing facility on guitar, pleasing singing ability, and fine original material (one song introduced as written when she was 12). For the admission charge of $5, the Ally Venable Band played for nearly two hours before a tiny audience--it was well worth the trip. 

Was that church right on Hwy 80, more or less downtown?

When I think of any place in Big Sandy being a music venue, it's the old roller rink, which used to be a full-service family fun emporium - roller skating, swimming, fishing, paddle boating, all that. Grade school EOY picnics were often held there. Last time I looked, it was a dancehall now, still on that water, though. Big Sandy Lake.

http://bigsandydancehall.blogspot.com/

http://www.tylernightout.com/events/meetup/198098772/dick-and-alices-dancehall-is-located-at-family-world-drive-off-hwy-80

Oh, this is beautiful. There were not these options when I was her age, not for playing blues. https://www.gigmasters.com/bluesband/allyvenableband

Please note Ally Venable Band will also travel to Laird Hill, Overton, Longview, White Oak, New London, Gladewater, Arp, Tyler, Joinerville, Selman City, Henderson, Judson, Easton, Minden, Winona, Big Sandy, Price, Hallsville, Tatum, Troup.

The church was downtown in Big Sandy--most of the way there on 80, then maybe up to ten miles off the freeway traveling on a very dark road with a 70 mph speed limit to arrive there. The owners of the venue were not present this particular evening. I would go back for sure if they ever again have anyone there I was interested in hearing. The upcoming Stratoblasters concert in this intimate venue would be my idea of hell on earth.

http://bigsandymusichall.com/

I think this may be the luxury end of the East Texas music venues. Otherwise, her itinerary opens up a new realm of East Texas dive venues with music. 

We need to make one of those dive gigs one of these days. Road trip, with barbeque and/or enchiladas. Just make sure your headlights work and your taillights ain't broke. Also that your license plate lite ain't burnt out and all your stickers are current.

I could be fun. It could be scary. It could be both. and frankly, it could be neither, it could be another bar band in another small town bar.

Tell you what, though-  as long as the venue has a listed street address and phone #, it's only going to be so much fun and so much dangerous. The really, uh..."exotic" places are those that you don't know about unless you know about them, if you know what I mean. It's been decades since I had any insight into all that, hell, it may all be gone.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

We need to make one of those dive gigs one of these days. Road trip, with barbeque and/or enchiladas. Just make sure your headlights work and your taillights ain't broke. Also that your license plate lite ain't burnt out and all your stickers are current.

I could be fun. It could be scary. It could be both. and frankly, it could be neither, it could be another bar band in another small town bar.

Tell you what, though-  as long as the venue has a listed street address and phone #, it's only going to be so much fun and so much dangerous. The really, uh..."exotic" places are those that you don't know about unless you know about them, if you know what I mean. It's been decades since I had any insight into all that, hell, it may all be gone.

Sure. East Texas is an exotic and largely unexplored landscape filled  with danger and intrigue. This trip, I had a warning light for low coolant on the way back. I was living  on the edge.

Danger, yes. Intrigue, not so much. You know what all is there, good and bad. The only surprises come in finding out who is who, and when. You really never can tell until it's over, and then, it's over. Get ready all over again.

There's a reason why so many people of faith come from that area. Faith is all you got most of the time.