What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Alan Barnes and David Newton with locals Ed Harrison (bass) and Eryl Roberts (drums) at Malcolm Frazer's house last night.

Guest of honour was Alan's mother on her 87th birthday - in a wheelchair. Both parents used to turn up for his gigs round here, but Alan told me that sadly his father passed on in May of this year. It took him a moment to remember that the previous night's gig had been in Nottingham - I'm not surprised, as his diary shows 14 gigs in two weeks!

With the smaller group he didn't play his new Xmas suite, but Xmassy quotes abounded in the standard jazz repertoire, together with unexpected key and chord changes which bassist Ed Harrison did his best to incorporate. A very skittish session!

Alan also sang the praises of "that great Welsh drummer, Elvin Jones and his brother, Caerphilly Joe." :lol:

Edited by BillF

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd assumed you were getting the full Octet and all the Xmas trimmings. Sounds like a good evening - Barnes has many hats which he can swap nightly! He's 15 minutes up the road in March with the Nottingham Youth Jazz Orchestra (Jazz in Worksop shock...Local councillor asks 'Are our children safe?'). Different again. My nomination for Sports Personality of the Year this evening.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Image result for Nicola Farnon Jim Mullen

Nicola Farnon (vocals, bass), Dave Newton (piano), Jim Mullen (guitar) and Steve Brown (drums). 

(The Lescar, Sheffield)

Last gig of the year and a perfect ending. I only know Farnon by name and by a reputation for always selling out her concerts (this one sold out weeks in advance). Didn't even know she sang. Comes from Wiltshire, lives in Sheffield - all the stars are on her side (apparently her great uncle was arranger Robert Farnon). 

Song based, mainly very familiar standards with some of her own. Not a perfect voice but one full of character and smoke (if I was hip I'd say it had 'lots of soul (man)'); an utterly infectious personality, just alight on the bandstand. Lots of space for marvellous solos from Mullen and Newton - Newton got much more space than in the octet I saw him in last week. Especially good on the bossa-ish numbers where he seemed to have channelled Jobim's minimalist style. Don't think I've seen Mullen for 20 years (somewhere in the same part of town) but he was as good as ever. Great drumming too.

A million miles from egghead jazz but had a packed backroom of a pub absolutely ecstatic. I'm almost inclined to say 'Man, they really swung' but I won't as then I'd have to buy a beret.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Grief was recorded on 12/30/13 @ Cornelia Street Cafe

I agree that it is an excellent recording of the band playing at a very high level.

I think this will be my 4th time seeing the trio.

If I was single with no life, I would go see Thumbscrew with Mary on 1/2/17 @ The Stone & The Out Louds with Mary on 1/3/17 @ I-Beam

Edited by Steve Reynolds

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I noticed that according to the schedule on the Stone's website, the venue is closing in February of 2018.

JOHN ZORN IMPROV WEEK CELEBRATION TO RING THE BELL, CLOSE THE BOOK AND QUENCH THE CANDLE FOR THE STONE
FEBRUARY 20-25

We spoke about this last night noting that 2017 has the schedule reduced to one 9:00 set per night 

none of the many much closer to me to the scene (and quite a few of the mainstays were at the Cornelia Street show last night) have any idea why Zorn is ending the run of The Stone 

16 hours ago, uli said:

It's good to read that they are looking for a new venue. But what;s up with the one sets only? not enough of an audience for the late set?

Happy new year to you too!

Lots of patrons leave after the first set these days. Some think it is the $20 cover per set. We are all irritated that they went to only 1 set. Most of us will go less. None of us know why for sure.

Image result for Dave Manington riff-raff

Dave Manington's Riff-Raff (Lescar, Sheffield)

Dave Manington (bass), Brigitte Beraha (vocals), Tom Challenger (tenor sax), Rob Updegraff (guitar), Tim Giles (drums)  [Ivo Neame (keyboards) was meant to be present but was otherwise engaged). 

Bunch of musicians associated with London's 'Loop Collective' who you see shuffled amongst endless jazz groupings in the UK. One of those gigs where I found myself drifting at times only to be suddenly jolted into full attention by a particularly arresting passage. There was a great bass/drums/tenor section towards the end that entered Ornettish territory - really benefited from the other two voices dropping out (in the sense of allowing those three to be heard more clearly).

Start of a tour, instrumental balance a bit off (drums tended to overwhelm the other instruments), missing an expected player, Beraha a bit wayward in the pitching at times so I'm sure we didn't hear them at their best. But worth it for the really exciting bits. Especially impressed by Tim Giles (not just because he was the easiest to hear). 

£7 a ticket at the Lescar - cheaper than the cinema! 

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Nothing imminent but I've got my bookings in to see Laura Jurd's 'Dinosaur' and Magnus Ostrom's group at the Turner Sims, Southampton. :)

Dinosaur are marvellous - their CD is good but is a bit on the short side, under-representing the live kick. Also seeing them later in the month in Nottingham. Laura's also in Sheffield with Jasper Høiby's band later in the year.

I don't think I have a week without a concert of some flavour until April! Live music is very much alive and well (and, as folky Chris Wood regularly says, being kept afloat by the pension funds!). 

Image result for Normafest

Wonderful weekend, sadly without Norma Waterson who was too ill to attend. Eliza Carthy did a brilliant job of leading proceedings in her stead. 

The Waterson family did their thing in two concerts - a wonderful ten piece of family members and friends singing some of the unaccompanied hits with great gusto; and the Gift Band covering the more standard/music hall/popular music side represented on Norma's solo albums. A couple of good films - an amazing one filmed in the mid-60s just as The Watersons had hit their peak as one of the biggest draws in the folk clubs, living out of an ordinary house in Hull. Only 50 years ago but, with the Hull docks still busy, a different world. A fascinating interview with Martin Carthy too, explaining how his tuning approach evolved from firstly adopting Davy Graham's DADGAD and then amending it because he wanted to play 'Lovely Joan' which appears in a Vaughan Williams piece and he couldn't quite finger using Graham's approach. I do hope someone is documenting Carthy's reminiscences - there's a brilliant book waiting there.  

Some of the best of the current crop of young folky groups - Stick in the Wheel, The Furrow Collective and Lynched. Third time I've seen the latter in five months and once again they triumphed. Other bands must despair when they see they have to share a bill with them.

And Peggy Seeger, who I've never seen before. A sprightly 81, still full of political passion and decidedly irreverent. No prizes for guessing who was on the receiving end of most of her withering comments. An amazing link back to the original folk revival (well, the 1950s one!) and another dark political time.

A perfect way to take the sting out of mid-winter.  

Stunning concert by the Malcolm Braff Trio at Moods, Zurich, Saturday night - that is: Braff (p, fender rhodes), Reggie Washington (elb), Lukas König (d).

This was all as great as the 2006 life- and listening-chaning BraffOesterRohrer concert ... two other Braff concerts in between did not live up those totally exalted expectations, but this time, he did it again.

Next up, tomorrow night, is Nasheet Waits Equaliy Quartet (w/Darius Jones, Aruan Ortiz and Mark Helias), again at Moods, Zurich.

11 hours ago, king ubu said:

Stunning concert by the Malcolm Braff Trio at Moods, Zurich, Saturday night - that is: Braff (p, fender rhodes), Reggie Washington (elb), Lukas König (d).

This was all as great as the 2006 life- and listening-chaning BraffOesterRohrer concert ... two other Braff concerts in between did not live up those totally exalted expectations, but this time, he did it again.

Next up, tomorrow night, is Nasheet Waits Equaliy Quartet (w/Darius Jones, Aruan Ortiz and Mark Helias), again at Moods, Zurich.

Saw a version of that Nasheet band and they were amazing. 

Just saw Lou Grassi, Thomas Heberer, Mark Whitecage & Joe Fonda 

wonderous 

13 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Saw a version of that Nasheet band and they were amazing. 

Just saw Lou Grassi, Thomas Heberer, Mark Whitecage & Joe Fonda 

wonderous 

Then Bryan Carrott trio with Hilliard Greene & Michael Wimberly

THEN Matt Lavelle plus another trumpeter I don't know with William Parker & Hamid Drake

like PC & Philly Joe or Carter & Williams to me

This past Friday, I flew to New York to attend the Winter Jazzfest Marathon.

On Friday, I spent the evening at the New School's Auditorium on 12th Street and Sixth Avenue.

First, Amina Claudine Myers on piano and vocals, performing a program of her favorite spirituals. Her set was beautiful. As Steinway was a sponsor of the festival, both venues I attended featured great sounding Steinway grand pianos.

Next, the Spanish Harlem Orchestra. Not exactly to my tastes (I'm not a salsa fan), they appealed a bit more when they were more in the Latin jazz band vein.

Thirdly, my favorite young tenor saxophonist, leading a sextet (with trumpet, vibes, piano, bass and drums), Melissa Aldana sounded fantastic--I love her gorgeous tenor sound. The most notable other soloist of the group was Joel Ross on vibes. A terrific set.

Next on the program was David Murray, performing with Lafayette Gilchrist on piano, Mingus Murray on guitar, Rahsaan Carter on bass, and (?) Carter on drums. Another terrific set--I was very happy to get to see Lafayette Gilchrist in person for the first time. And Mingus Murray (David Murray's son) proved to be a talented guitar player in the jazz/rock vein--taking the group in some unexpected directions.

That was it for the first evening for me. On Saturday it snowed all day, so I decided to stay in one place again, this time for the ECM showcase at the New School's Tishman Auditorium (Fifth Avenue and 13th Street).

First up, the Michael Formanek Quartet (Tim Berne, Craig Taborn, and Gerald Cleaver). I had not heard this group, but their performance was very strong and the compositions very appealing.

Next, Danish guitarist Jakob Bro in a trio with Thomas Morgan and Joey Baron. The first part of this set was rather intricate and delicate sounding (a visual of time lapse photography of plants growing/flowers blooming would have fit perfectly). I preferred the latter half of the set when the intensity and the volume were cranked up.

The next set was a duo of Cuban pianist David Virelles and Ravi Coltrane. This set was great, one of the best sets I heard at the festival. 

This was followed by a duo of Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan. I haven't really followed Frisell in many years, but found the set to be surprisingly enjoyable--mostly quiet and unadorned performances of standards. Except for the last piece (an original I assume), where Frisell employed the types of pedal effects I associate with him on a piece that was magnificent.

Finally, closing the evening was Nik Bartsch's Mobile. There was only piano, bass clarinet, and two percussionists, and the set was unamplified. Is this jazz? I'm not sure but I sure enjoyed their set.

That was it for the 2017 Winter Jazzfest for me. I missed lots of groups I wanted to hear (Mary Halvorson, Edmar Castaneda, Chico Freeman, AfroHorn, etc.). Definitely worth the trip. But I wasn't going home until Monday, so Sunday evening can be spent with the Billy Harper Quintet /Sextet at Smoke (including Franchesca Tanksley on piano, Freddie Hendrix on trumpet and Aaron Scott on drums). I had never seen Billy Harper in person as a leader before, only as a sideman, so it was a thrill to spend the evening with him and hear three sets of his music. Lots of highlights, but my favorite was the duet performance of Thoughts and Slow Actions by Mr. Harper and Franchesca Tanksley.

Edited by kh1958