mikeweil

What live music are you going to see tonight?

4,908 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2017 at 9:43 PM, jlhoots said:

Pharaoh Sanders Quartet

Incredible performance - William Henderson, Nat Reeves, Johnathan Blake.

Pharaoh was wonderful.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, jlhoots said:

Pharaoh was wonderful.

I wish he would keep his website up to date. I have no idea if he's touring anywhere near my area. Sonny Fortune is the same way.

Barry's Bop Quintet (so called because the three hornmen met at a Barry Harris masterclass in Rome) at Malcolm Frazer's house last Sunday afternoon. Trumpeter Lewis R Taylor is aged 21 and guitarist Jack Kinsella 19 and both are students at Birmingham Conservatoire. So there's hope for the younger generation after all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRvZz7Dbag

In Chicago for a couple of days and saw that Benny Golson is at the Jazz Showcase.  I am going to try to catch the 8 o'clock show tonight!

Posted (edited)

On 7/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, jlhoots said:

Pharaoh was wonderful.

I'm going to see Pharoah in October at the Rialto Theater here in Atlanta. Really looking forward to it! :) 

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

In Chicago for a couple of days and saw that Benny Golson is at the Jazz Showcase.  I am going to try to catch the 8 o'clock show tonight!

Jealous! :g  I bet you're having a great evening! :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Jealous! :g  I bet you're having a great evening! :tup 

It was nice but even 5 years ago, you got about 50% talk, 50% music with Benny (and Lou Donaldson).  Now it is about 25% music.  Still definitely worth it to see one of the last giants (and these at least were new stories for me).  He did play "Horizon Ahead" off a fairly recently album, and the rest were his standards - "Whisper Not" and "I Remember Clifford."  They closed with Coltrane's Mr PC, taken at a fairly fast clip.

On 31/07/2017 at 2:42 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I wish he would keep his website up to date. I have no idea if he's touring anywhere near my area. Sonny Fortune is the same way.

Amazing how Sonny Fortune used to (and sound likes he still does) appear unexpectedly at gigs (at least to me). I had a couple of experiences like that when he was with Elvin Jones. Charles Tolliver sideman appearances were similar.