What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday, I saw the great Abdullah Ibrahim yesterday in Leuven. It was.... just stunning. 82 years old and still going strong. Playing solo piano, practically all of his amazing compositions past in an 1,5 hour improvisation. Small concert hall, 200 listeners, no microphone, just Mr. Ibrahim and the piano. So incredibly intimate and beautiful. After 1.5 hour of improvisation the man stood up and made a few deep bows. What a beautiful person! What an experience.

Edited by Pim

Tonight (in less than an hour, actually, so I better run) it's the SFJAZZ Collective Plays the Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim.

The current Collective is: alto saxophonist Miguel Zenón, tenor saxophonist David Sánchez, vibraphonist Warren Wolf, trombonist Robin Eubanks, pianist Edward Simon and drummer Obed Calvaire. New members for 2018-19 are bassist Matt Brewer and trumpeter Etienne Charles.

This Thursday night (10/11), Scullers Jazz Club in Boston is bringing in a killer band. If you are going to be in or around Boston and you're free Thursday night, you might want to check it out. Drummer Ralph Peterson is bringing his "Messenger Legacy Band" together for a one night show with Bobby Watson & Bill Pierce on saxes, Brian Lynch on trumpet, Geoff Keezer on piano & Essiet Essiet on bass. I have front row seats. 1f642.png
https://www.musicindustrydatabase.com/event/eventDetail.htm…

Buy tickets here: https://www.ticketweb.com/…/the-messenger-legacy-b…/8585065…

Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City.  I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!).  Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point).  I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming.  Happy. 

Last Saturday a particularly amazing 2 sets @ Cornelia Street Cafe

Ben Monder on guitar

Tony Malaby on tenor & soprano saxophones

Nasheet Waits on drums

Nasheet was otherworldly and even greater than that during the opening 20 minute piece that started the second set and Tony would converted any naysayers here or anywhere unless one is faint of heart.

next Thursday Joe Russo’s Almost Dead @ Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA

will be my third time seeing this exciting band that takes the music of the Grateful Dead and makes it brand new. My wife should be coming and she absolutely loves them. Also possibly seeing Phil’s band on either 11/1 & 11/2 @ Capital Theatre.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, duaneiac said:

Tonight (in less than an hour, actually, so I better run) it's the SFJAZZ Collective Plays the Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim.

The current Collective is: alto saxophonist Miguel Zenón, tenor saxophonist David Sánchez, vibraphonist Warren Wolf, trombonist Robin Eubanks, pianist Edward Simon and drummer Obed Calvaire. New members for 2018-19 are bassist Matt Brewer and trumpeter Etienne Charles.

I'm seeing them Fri. night.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:40 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

This Thursday night (10/11), Scullers Jazz Club in Boston is bringing in a killer band. If you are going to be in or around Boston and you're free Thursday night, you might want to check it out. Drummer Ralph Peterson is bringing his "Messenger Legacy Band" together for a one night show with Bobby Watson & Bill Pierce on saxes, Brian Lynch on trumpet, Geoff Keezer on piano & Essiet Essiet on bass. I have front row seats. 1f642.png

Tonight's the night. :)

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

was it a jimdandy crackerjack of a show?

I wanted to see the venue (newest in the Arts District), and it is beautiful, perfect for acoustic jazz. The set was not great or anything, but it was modestly enjoyable, particularly the quieter pieces where he played soprano. I quite like his bassist Eric Revis. The amusing point was when he announced he was playing an Andrew Hill song, and like two people cheered. So probably not too many Andrew Hill records in the audience's collections.

Basically, I'm not feeling an irresistible urge to order Branford CD's today, but I probably would go see him again in the right circumstance.

Edited by kh1958

On 10/9/2018 at 9:40 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

This was an incredible show. One of my favorites in a long while. To see these old Messengers playing those tunes... Wow. Having never seen the band when Art was behind the drums, this was nirvana, especially since Ralph Peterson had many of Art's pet licks down pat.

If you live in CT, this band is playing at The Side Door in New Lyme, CT tonight & tomorrow. If you can, check it out.

Rehearsal:

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Reminded me of a flash mob (remember those?)  One of the major Paynesville academies let out for the end of the school week, and seemingly every student with access to a musical instrument (mostly drums of many types) was busting loose in a 20x20 meter cemented-in area.  Sure, probably happens every week when I'm not around, but felt really special to be there.  Photo too big to upload.  Damn.

Edited by BeBop