What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Last night, Jaimie Branch took the roof off Cafe Oto. 

First set was Fly Or Die which was very good but the second set was something else. The set seemed to be one piece most likely titled 'Prayer For America' a phrase that featured prominently in Branch's spoken word contributions taking a swipe at "wide-eyed racists' and others. It wasn't overly difficult to understand the motivations for this piece. 

The band, Chad Taylor, Jason Ajemian, Lester St. Louis were fabulous playing free and funky as hell

16 hours ago, optatio said:

Announcement and actual line-up are often two pairs of shoes: Line-up in Kassel: David Murray (ts, bcl), David Bryant (p) instead of Orrin Evans (p), Jaribu Shahid (b), Eric McPherson (dr) instead of Nasheet Waits (dr) + Saul Williams (poetry, spoken words) added (!!!). Nevertheless: Passionate, profound, blues soaked, energetic jazz with poetry and spoken words – unforgettable!

On my to do list now:

34396635pp.jpg

34396644nf.jpg

DAVID MURRAY feat. SAUL WILLIAMS: BLUES FOR MEMO. MOTEMA MTMO256 [2018]

that's a very good album. Not surprised it was good live too

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eva Maria Pollerus, Cembalo

Terra incognita
Die Cembalomusik G. Ph. Telemanns - Suiten, Fugen, Choräle, Konzerte, Galanterien

pollerus_eva_quer_1920.jpg

Going to see and hear my colleague from the Frankfurt Musical University, Eva Maria Pollerus, tonight, she plays a solo harpsichord recital with music by Georg Philipp Telemann exclusively. It is part of a new concert series inaugurated this summer devoted to Telemann, who worked and lived in Frankfurt for a few years early in his career, published his first prints there etc. Still an underrated composer, even though he may be the one most representative of the baroque music of his time, and by far the most influential in Germany.

Edited by mikeweil

Mars Williams Ayler Christmas

early 6:00 show at New Stone

with:

Nels Cline in guitar

Steve Swell on trombone

Hilliard Green on bass

Tomeka Reid on cello

Chris Corsano on drums

then 2 sets at Cornelia Street - not familiar with the guiratist Gordon Grdina

with:

Mark Feldman on violin

Hank Roberts on cello

Mark Helias on bass

Tom Rainey on drums 

I’ve never ever seen a band with 3 of the absolute greatest string players alive in one band  - Plus the *great* Tom Rainey - looking forward to all of it

16 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Just got back from hearing 2 sets at Kitano by Jerry Bergonzi, with Bruce Barth, Harvie S, Victor Lewis and Phil Grenadier. Still making plans for tomorrow, to the Vanguard on Monday...

Some of these guys do a lot of travelling! Have seen Bergonzi and Barth and Mike LeDonne's Quartet with Eric Alexander here in the past few weeks.

No automatic alt text available.

Just look, just look at what it was like to be in the right place at the right time in life.  I mean just look.  Just look at this.   You start the year with The Nice & Mabel Greers Toyshop (members of yes), then the very next day simon dupree + the big sound (members of gentle giant and at times reggie dwight aka elton), then i dont think anyone famous was in skip bifferty but i didnt research that too much, then its Ten years after.  Then the very next day, the Iveys!  (Badfinger!)   Then its time for dj dance soul night!!!!  THEN ITS THE NICE AGAIN!  anysey dunbars band, and then THE GODS.....i forgot who they were i had to look them up their lead singer/bassist was GREG LAKE.  then after another im sure very fun  DJ dance Soul Night, another Nice concert.  THEN FLEETWOOD MAC.  Then from USA JIMMY MCGRIFF!!!!!!!!  the more NICE  then at the end of the month how about TRAFFIC AND SPOOKY TOOTH.  I dont get it, can someone explain it to me. 

i wonder if mcgriff borrowed keith emersons organ, i mean keith was monday and jimmy was tuesday....i can just imagine jimmy walking into the club and finding the organ upside down and full of knives

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Saturday was a good day for live music. In the afternoon I caught the Bennie Wallace Trio with Matt Dwonszyk and Carmen Intorre at a record store appearance in Wethersfield, CT.

I then drove to Brooklyn, NY to hear William Parker's In Order To Survive with Rob Brown, Cooper-Moore and Gerald Cleaver.

Two very different shows, but both very good.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:08 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

No automatic alt text available.

Just look, just look at what it was like to be in the right place at the right time in life.  I mean just look.  Just look at this.   You start the year with The Nice & Mabel Greers Toyshop (members of yes), then the very next day simon dupree + the big sound (members of gentle giant and at times reggie dwight aka elton), then i dont think anyone famous was in skip bifferty but i didnt research that too much, then its Ten years after.  Then the very next day, the Iveys!  (Badfinger!)   Then its time for dj dance soul night!!!!  THEN ITS THE NICE AGAIN!  anysey dunbars band, and then THE GODS.....i forgot who they were i had to look them up their lead singer/bassist was GREG LAKE.  then after another im sure very fun  DJ dance Soul Night, another Nice concert.  THEN FLEETWOOD MAC.  Then from USA JIMMY MCGRIFF!!!!!!!!  the more NICE  then at the end of the month how about TRAFFIC AND SPOOKY TOOTH.  I dont get it, can someone explain it to me. 

i wonder if mcgriff borrowed keith emersons organ, i mean keith was monday and jimmy was tuesday....i can just imagine jimmy walking into the club and finding the organ upside down and full of knives

•  

My time machine is almost ready to go again. What city is this advertisement from in 1968?

5 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

My time machine is almost ready to go again. What city is this advertisement from in 1968?

marquee club, london.  and id contact Michio Kaku to compare notes if i were you before you fire that thing up dawg....

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Dig up the listings for the Fillmore East for 1968 through 1970

Ive seen some which has Duke Pearsons Big Band one day and Santana the next!

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

marquee club, london.  and id contact Michio Kaku to compare notes if i were you before you fire that thing up dawg....

•  

Ive seen some which has Duke Pearsons Big Band one day and Santana the next!

Maybe the most famous are the early February shows - triple bill:

Allman Brothers Band

Love

Grateful Dead

plus during the 2/11/70 show Duane Allman played with the Dead for a section of one of the shows. The 2/13 & 2/14/70 Grateful Dead shows are among the best the boys ever played and thankfully the best of the electric sets are immortalized on Dick’s Picks 4.

plus we have the Dead back-to-back with Miles I believe in April and/or June 1970. The original King Crimson with Greg Lake & Michael Giles in December 1969 and many more. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds