mikeweil

What live music are you going to see tonight?

5,381 posts in this topic

Last night, Kara Grainger at the Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:40 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

If you haven't seen Benny before, go. If you have, skip it. It'll be the same exact show you saw the last time, even the talk between the songs. :)

I've seen Benny Golson 5 times (3 quartets and 2 large groups) and it has never been the same exact show.  He likes to tell the stories behind his classic tunes.  How often do you get to hear a composer of Golson's caliber discuss his work?  The man is a living legend and still sounds great.

Seeing Golson perform his classics, newer material and standards is a must-see concert.  It'd be foolish to skip it, in my opinion.  

On 1/16/2019 at 5:41 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Going to catch Atomic tonight at Hallwalls.

Nice, Chuck!  I caught them in Cleveland the day before and bought Broo's recent standards album afterward.  After seeing them in February 2015, they didn't return for 3 years.  I'm glad that they now have played here twice within the span of a year.

In some ways, I feel like Atomic is kind of a spiritual successor to the ICP Orchestra.  It is a group of improvisers/composers with a firm grasp of tradition and they have an irreverent, fun approach.  

25 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I've seen Benny Golson 5 times (3 quartets and 2 large groups) and it has never been the same exact show.  He likes to tell the stories behind his classic tunes.  How often do you get to hear a composer of Golson's caliber discuss his work?  The man is a living legend and still sounds great.

Seeing Golson perform his classics, newer material and standards is a must-see concert.  It'd be foolish to skip it, in my opinion.  

I've seen Benny several times. I've actually lost count, to be honest. You are right in that he used to put on a great show with lots of great tunes. But the last two times I saw him, he played the exact same set list in almost the same order. The stories were the same too. In fact, they broadcast the second set to the last show I went to. I listened to it on the ride home and the second set was identical to the first. He used to play different tunes each set but not today. He is 90, after all.

I was very glad I didn't buy tickets to both sets like I usually do for guys like Benny.

Parisian festival Sons d'hiver has a very good line up this year (new artistic director seems to be former programmer of the Mulhouse festival).

https://www.sonsdhiver.org/

Unfortunately, with a young child, cannot see as much as I would wish to. Went to see the interesting pairing of Evan Parker and Tyshawn Sorey this week. Very different styles and approaches which at first did not seem to fit that well together but progressively integrated very well. Lots of tenor from EP who was challenged to cut through by Sorey's sometimes "loud" (objectively speaking, no judgement here) playing.

Will not miss Braxton next week, though we arranged for my wife to see the ZIM music date and me the solo the next day (hopefully we will find a babysitter soon).