mikeweil

What live music are you going to see tonight?

5,717 posts in this topic

btw there is a ballz flora & airto show up on tradersden right now, you really should get this one

Paradise Club
Boston, Mass
U.S.A.
1980-03-30

1: jump
2: nothing will be as it was tomorrow 
3: love poem (Tom Scott)
4: Sarar
5: Godzilla's holiday
6: Beijo Partido
7: open your eyes, you can fly > sometime ago
8: band introductions
9: Airto percussion solo
10: Casa Forte (spliced)
 

imagine if duke pearson was with em in this band, would of been in even sicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night- Chris Corsano, Michael Attias, Michael Bisio and Fred Longberg-Holm in the back of a bar, the Beverly, in Kingston, NY.  Tonight Buddy Guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight:

Phil Ranelin in Detroit.  It's been 2 or 3 years since I last saw him.  I am sitting near his niece.  It is going to be fun.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

Last night- Chris Corsano, Michael Attias, Michael Bisio and Fred Longberg-Holm in the back of a bar, the Beverly, in Kingston, NY.  Tonight Buddy Guy.

That is one helluva quartet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight: Thumbscrew (Halvorson, Formanek, Fujiwara)
Sunday: Mary Halvorson's Code Girl

I've enjoyed seeing both groups in the past year and a half. So catching them again at SFJAZZ in the tiny Joe Henderson Lab is a no-brainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Night- Anat Fort Trio at The Falcon in Marlboro, NY.  This past Saturday night-Taj Mahal at The Egg in Albany, NY.  This past Friday night-Bettye LaVette at the Helsinki in Hudson, NY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elio Villafranca Quartet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mingus Big Band at Jazz Standard last night. Good stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Mingus Big Band at Jazz Standard last night. Good stuff. 

Oh how I loved seeing that band in that space! If only NYC wasn't so far away and so expensive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday - Kenny Barron / Dave Holland / Nasheet Waits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visiting Santa Fe for a few days. Fortunate to be able to seeKenny Barron, Dave Holland and Nasheet Waits this evening.

Also attending an interview with them this afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Raconteurs at the SB Bowl.  Jack White is the real deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, medjuck said:

The Raconteurs at the SB Bowl.  Jack White is the real deal. 

Jealous. Wanted to see them here in the Bay Area this past week, but was out of town.

Haven't been to the SB Bowl in decades, but I'm sure they'll be great there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Jealous. Wanted to see them here in the Bay Area this past week, but was out of town.

Haven't been to the SB Bowl in decades, but I'm sure they'll be great there!

One of the best rock shows I've heard in the last 60 years. (No exaggeration on the time: I saw Bill Hailey and the Comets about 1958.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 8:12 PM, jlhoots said:

Friday - Kenny Barron / Dave Holland / Nasheet Waits

 

On 7/26/2019 at 0:37 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Visiting Santa Fe for a few days. Fortunate to be able to seeKenny Barron, Dave Holland and Nasheet Waits this evening.

Also attending an interview with them this afternoon.

I'd love to hear about the concert.  That sounds like a can't-miss group.  I saw Barron and Holland as a duo a few years ago and they were great.  I am hoping to see Barron's trio with Kiyoshi Kitagawa and Johnathan Blake next year.  The last time I saw Barron was last year with his quintet (the aforementioned trio plus Dayna Stephens and Mike Rodriguez) in support of their excellent Blue Note release, Concentric Circles.  I didn't have the nerve to stick around long enough afterward to meet Barron.  I admire his music so much and worried that I would either gush uncontrollably or get tongue-tied and squeak out monosyllables. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Justin V said:

 

I'd love to hear about the concert.  That sounds like a can't-miss group.  I saw Barron and Holland as a duo a few years ago and they were great.  I am hoping to see Barron's trio with Kiyoshi Kitagawa and Johnathan Blake next year.  The last time I saw Barron was last year with his quintet (the aforementioned trio plus Dayna Stephens and Mike Rodriguez) in support of their excellent Blue Note release, Concentric Circles.  I didn't have the nerve to stick around long enough afterward to meet Barron.  I admire his music so much and worried that I would either gush uncontrollably or get tongue-tied and squeak out monosyllables. :blink:

The concert & interview (done by A.B. Spellman) were both great IMO. Excellent stories & playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Jlhoots.

 I would add is that the trio played more compositions by Barron and Holland than I would have expected. They performed one tune by Billy Strayhorn (Day Dream), and a bebop tune the title of which I can't recall. For an encore the trio played "Bud Walked In" by Monk. No Great American Songbook standards were played.

This is the first time I have seen Nasheet Waits, the son of Freddie Waits, and he did a terrific job.

I saw Kenny Barron a few times some years ago. At that time his trio consisted of Ray "Bulldog" Drummond, and Ben Riley.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, medjuck said:

One of the best rock shows I've heard in the last 60 years. (No exaggeration on the time: I saw Bill Hailey and the Comets about 1958.) 

Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Tribute to Nick Brignola at Central Park in Schenectady last night, July 31.   Free concert. Headliners were Joe Magnarelli, Gary Smulyan, Tim Ray (piano), John Lockwood (bass) and Dave Calarco (drums).  Opening act was the SUNY Schenectady Jazz Faculty.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.