What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just got tickets for this:

http://www.culture.mdc.edu/page.aspx?vpage...&itemid=811

boy am i psyched!!! :excited:

06_mccoytyner.jpg

well as i expected mccoy was amazing!!! :excited:

his bass player - Gerald Cannon and his drummer Eric Gravatt (yes he was in weather report) were totally in sync with him.

the trio played for over an hour with 3 encores.

highlights included "angeline", Love Surrounds Us Everywhere, a coltrane number i can't remember the name of and ellington's "in a mellow tone"

i am lucky i got to see such a great show!!!

Went to see Purple Gums (Francis Wong-soprano/tenor, etc., Bobby Bradford-cornet, etc., and William Roper-tuba, etc.) tonight--both as a trio and with the SFSU Creative World Ensemble (student group, led by Hafez Modirzade). If you ever get a chance to see Gums live, do it--they're one of the most original and nuanced groups on the West Coast (there's some "little instrumentation" here, free horn dialogue ala Ornette Coleman, and a tremendous, group melodic sensibility--all with a potent social/political edge). And that trio is definitely good, humble (but awesome, in the classic sense of the world) people.

Yep--show started around 7 p.m. with Michael Eaton's Large Ensemble (local group--Eaton a very talented saxophonist who's moving to NYC soon) doing a long "Ascension"-type piece; the Thing came on around 7:45, 7:50 and played till 9:15. Gave me a nice break from our noisy neighbors' extended Little 5 celebration. (Hmm--should've invited the band over for a little post-gig jam, come to think of it... :w )

Just got back from seeing The Thing, Mats Gustafsson's avant-power trio, at the Monroe County Historical Society. :excited: And a :tup for drummer Paal Nilssen-Love.

They are something else isn't it ? I saw those guys last summer plus they had Joe McPhee with them, one of the meanest and heaviest jazz show i've ever witnessed.

Edited by Van Basten II

I stayed for the first set of the Zorn tribute thing at Columbia last night. The first set consisted of a string trio (with Feldman, Cohen and another dude) and a crummy rock group. The string trio material was fine, but a bit redundant. The crummy rock band was crummy but only played for about five minutes.

i just got tickets for this:

http://www.culture.mdc.edu/page.aspx?vpage...&itemid=811

boy am i psyched!!! :excited:

06_mccoytyner.jpg

well as i expected mccoy was amazing!!! :excited:

his bass player - Gerald Cannon and his drummer Eric Gravatt (yes he was in weather report) were totally in sync with him.

the trio played for over an hour with 3 encores.

highlights included "angeline", Love Surrounds Us Everywhere, a coltrane number i can't remember the name of and ellington's "in a mellow tone"

i am lucky i got to see such a great show!!!

Great to hear that it was a good show. I was bummed out to find that his run in NYC coincides exactly with Vision Fest, for which I already have week passes. Oh well, hopefully he will play in the city again soon (and hopefully it won't be at the Blue Note next time!!!).

• 2 weeks later...

Diggin' the Cheltenham Fest this weekend:

Yesterday - Gwilym Simcock Big Band, Claudia Quartet with John Hollenbeck and Mat Moran, Ben Allison Quartet with Ron Horton and the Bob Brookmeyer Quartet.

Today it's the Ingrid Laubrock Group, Bennie Maupin Quartet ( :excited: ), Charles Lloyd Quartet and the Hans Koller Octet with Kenny Wheeler and Bob Brookmeyer.

Edited by sidewinder

Diggin' the Cheltenham Fest this weekend:

Yesterday - Gwilym Simcock Big Band, Claudia Quartet with John Hollenbeck and Mat Moran, Ben Allison Quartet with Ron Horton and the Bob Brookmeyer Quartet.

Today it's the Ingrid Laubrock Group, Bennie Maupin Quartet ( :excited: ), Charles Lloyd Quartet and the Hans Koller Octet with Kenny Wheeler and Bob Brookmeyer.

I saw Bennie Maupin and Charles Lloyd last night at the Barbican and they were both fantastic. I wasn't really in the mood to go to be honest but Bennie Maupin very quickly won me over! He seemed like a really humble guy. The shop really missed a trick by not having any of his cds available. There was a big rush for Charles Lloyd cds after he played though.

I could watch and listen to Eric Harland all day. And it is the second time I've seen Jason Moran (the first was with Dave Holland) and was blown away again. Will definitely be searching out his own albums in the near future.

You are going to really enjoy yourself :) .

I saw Bennie Maupin and Charles Lloyd last night at the Barbican and they were both fantastic. I wasn't really in the mood to go to be honest but Bennie Maupin very quickly won me over! He seemed like a really humble guy. The shop really missed a trick by not having any of his cds available. There was a big rush for Charles Lloyd cds after he played though.

I could watch and listen to Eric Harland all day. And it is the second time I've seen Jason Moran (the first was with Dave Holland) and was blown away again. Will definitely be searching out his own albums in the near future.

You are going to really enjoy yourself :) .

Maupin and Lloyd were both outstanding at Cheltenham today !

Maupin kicked things off in the afternoon at the Everyman Theatre with lots of material from the 'Penumbra' CD. He's in great form on all horns (with one absolutely scorching tenor solo in his typical style from the Lee Morgan years). Some nice tributes, including one for Walter Bishop Jr (the idea for the tune I believe was scribbled on a bpiece of paper by Bish at his home in LA in the early 70s then found in a box by Maupin many years later). The CD stand had a box of 100 or so of his CDs which were selling like hot cakes so I bought one. :D

Lloyd's performance in the Town Hall was sensational. That is a stellar group, with Jason Moran and Eric Harland. First time I heard Moran and I was very impressed. Loved every minute of it.

Both performances were pretty well sell-outs !

Edited by sidewinder

I talked with Harland about 6 weeks ago, after an SFJazz Collective performance, and he was VERY excited about the tour with Lloyd and Moran. I hope this quartet releases live/studio material. I'd love to see them!

:tup

I would go as far as to say that with this lineup Lloyd has the makings of a truly great and well-balanced quartet. The only previous time I've seen him was back around 1992 (with McCoy and Elvin) and this was way better. Yes, hope they record soon.

I talked with Harland about 6 weeks ago, after an SFJazz Collective performance, and he was VERY excited about the tour with Lloyd and Moran. I hope this quartet releases live/studio material. I'd love to see them!

I would go as far as to say that with this lineup Lloyd has the makings of a truly great and well-balanced quartet. The only previous time I've seen him was back around 1992 (with McCoy and Elvin) and this was way better. Yes, hope they record soon.

Lloyd with Moran? Sounds fantastic -- I really want to hear this group.

Guy

Lloyd with Moran? Sounds fantastic -- I really want to hear this group.

Guy

The day after, I'm still enthusing over Moran's playing. Fantastic technique - and he really knows how to build a solo up in an exciting manner. He can even throw in a bid of the old Milt Buckner 'locked hands' style when he wants, too. :)

Bob Brookmeyer's two appearences during the weekend left a strong impression too. The speed and power of old are gone but the great lyricism and solo strength remains. An object lesson in the use of space and how to make each note count. The quartet session on Saturday was lovely - Brookmeyer started off on piano with a telling ballad feature (didn't realise he was so good on this instrument) and then spent the rest of the 90 minute set with his young, talented quartet - John Hollenbeck, Drew Gress and Brad Schepik on guitar. Hollenbeck and Gress fitted this music perfectly. Schepik was new to me but his Jim Hall-ish comping behind Brookmeyer was tasteful and spot-on.

Bob is just recovering from knee surgery so he came on stage with aid of a walker and played seated. Once he'd picked up the horn though the magic was there.

His second performance - 3 numbers Sunday night with Hans Koller's Octet of British musicians (plus Kenny Wheeler also featured - honourary Brit) - was the definite highlight of that concert (which started well past 10pm). His solos swung like the klappers on all 3 numbers - again, object lesson on how to maximise impact with a minimum of bluster. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

I'm going to see Porcupine Tree tomorrow in Seattle @ the Showbox. It should be a great show, I think the max is 700 people, if even that. Very excited about it. The downer though is that you have to stand the whole time -- Yikes! I'm 48, and I can't do that too many more times.

I'm going to see Porcupine Tree tomorrow in Seattle @ the Showbox. It should be a great show, I think the max is 700 people, if even that. Very excited about it. The downer though is that you have to stand the whole time -- Yikes! I'm 48, and I can't do that too many more times.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts about the show Matthew! Curious about what material other than Fear they'll perform, too. And curious about how hearing FoaBP live may affect your opinion of the material.

I'm still going back and forth on the album.