mikeweil

What live music are you going to see tonight?

5,812 posts in this topic

On 04/07/2021 at 6:01 PM, mjazzg said:

Sorry to hear that.  I was very tempted to buy a ticket for Nu-Civilisation this evening but life got in the way.  I may even make the rescheduled date (just listening to Nathaniel facey now, he's a very fine player and I'd love to hear him play Harriott) I didn't know about the play at Hampstead.

You were lucky to get the NT tickets, I hear they went in a flash.

I didn’t know about the connection between the play (first performed in 1975) and Harriott until I heard that the director mentioned this in an interview on 6music. 

Facey has a fiery tone so would be well suited to Harriott’s music I think.

Anthony

Garrick Ohlsson playing Brahms at Ravinia.

Just returned from a gig by Barry Altschul's 3dom Factor w/ Joe Fonda and Jon Irabagon. Wonderful to hear real music in the flesh.

You were naked?

8 minutes ago, rostasi said:

You were naked?

Only on the outside.

On 7/5/2021 at 6:37 PM, Larry Kart said:

Garrick Ohlsson playing Brahms at Ravinia.

What were your impressions, Larry?

Garrick played very well -- a 90 minute program with no intermission. Two capriccios op 97, the Op. 118 pieces (favorites of mine), two ballades, variations and fugue on a theme of Handel, and maybe I'm forgetting something. All played from memory.

26 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Garrick played very well -- a 90 minute program with no intermission. Two capriccios op 97, the Op. 118 pieces (favorites of mine), two ballades, variations and fugue on a theme of Handel, and maybe I'm forgetting something. All played from memory.

I would've loved to see/hear that recital. :tup

Saw Nu Civilisation Orchestra at Kings Place London last night playing arrangements of Joe Harriott material, mostly from Free Form and Abstract I think. Quite a revelation to hear a large ensemble rip through Harriott's tricky themes, Nathaniel Facey took the lead on alto and was superb. Also praise to the bass player Hamish Moore and Rod Young who really held it all together and the incredibly young looking Peter Edwards on piano who I think arranged the tunes. Interesting guest appearance from a tap dancer, didn't catch her name, who did an amazing performance of Oleo with Facey and the rhythm section. Good to hear some live music and this really young band were inspirational and it would be a waste if they didn't record these arrangements.

Anthony

London

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Saw Nu Civilisation Orchestra at Kings Place London last night playing arrangements of Joe Harriott material, mostly from Free Form and Abstract I think. Quite a revelation to hear a large ensemble rip through Harriott's tricky themes, Nathaniel Facey took the lead on alto and was superb. Also praise to the bass player Hamish Moore and Rod Young who really held it all together and the incredibly young looking Peter Edwards on piano who I think arranged the tunes. Interesting guest appearance from a tap dancer, didn't catch her name, who did an amazing performance of Oleo with Facey and the rhythm section. Good to hear some live music and this really young band were inspirational and it would be a waste if they didn't record these arrangements.

Anthony

London

That sounds like a good night. I have tickets for their "What's Going On" tribute in November.

Saw Branford come out and play a couple of  songs with Dave Matthews (yeah, I know) which was totally unexpected. Show was this past Friday in Raleigh. Branford lives, at least part time, in Durham so I'm guessing Dave hit him up to come out and jam a bit. Sound wasn't good at all at the amphitheater, esp in the cheap seats. But he got a good reception from the crowd before, during and after playing. 

David Williams trio.  Kenny Barron piano and Willie Jones III drums.  Mezzrow.  

Posted (edited)

I saw my first live jazz in over a year plus on August 12 in Chattanooga.

Pianist Keith Brown (Donald's son) led a trio with brother Kenneth on drums and a bassist from Knoxville (Cliff ?). A lot of the songs were on Keith's third Space Time CD African Ripples. Like his father, he's got plenty of chops and he is a strong composer.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Heading to Chicago next week and am happy to see it coincides with This.

Tomorrow night the Sun Ra band is in town.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:18 PM, HutchFan said:

What were your impressions, Larry?

Brahms, HutchFan, not Debussy or Ravel.  :P

26 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Brahms, HutchFan, not Debussy or Ravel.  :P

Oh, that's awful. :D 

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Oh, that's awful. :D 

I've gotta test out my new material someplace. :lol:

Been here at the Vail (Colorado) Jazz Party for the past five days. Wonderful hearing live jazz for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. Among those I have been hearing/seeing.

John Clayton

Lewis Nash,

Bill Cunliffe

Dick Oatts,

Wycliffe Gordon

Emmett Cohen

Jeff Hamilton

Tamir Hendelman

Joel Frahm

Jon Chin

Alphonso Horne

Lucy Yeghiarzaryan

Adrian Cunningham

Terell Stafford

Bobby Floyd

Byron Stripling

and many others.

Edited by Peter Friedman

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Been here at the Vail (Colorado) Jazz Party for the past five days. Wonderful hearing live jazz for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. Among those I have been hearing/seeing.

John Clayton

Lewis Nash,

Bill Cunliffe

Dick Oatts,

Wycliffe Gordon

Emmett Cohen

Jeff Hamilton

Tamir Hendelman

Joel Frahm

Jon Chin

Alphonso Horne

Lucy Yeghiarzaryan

Adrian Cunningham

Terell Stafford

Bobby Floyd

Byron Stripling

and many others.

Very happy you are able to hear live music again in person, Peter

there is really nothing like it

Very low key this, but it was good today to see a very young group (mainly in their early teens) playing jazz  (Basie’s corner pocket) at our local street party with a great tap dancer, Annette Walker, up front. I last saw her tap dancing to Oleo at the Nu Civilization Orchestra tribute to Joe Harriott. 

Anthony

London

Interesting to see a poster for a 1971 concert by Derek Bailey, Barry Guy and Paul Rutherford at the Arnolfini in Bristol, while queuing for the toilets at the Arnolfini in Bristol.

Had Madeleine Peyroux (and Joan Osborne) on tap for tonight in Philadelphia, but they rescheduled it for May 2022, just yesterday.  Blah.  

On the brighter side I got to see King Crimson last week, my first show since the pandemic started.  They were fantastic, as was the Zappa Band, who opened.

It's been a year and a half, but Friday night, Scullers Jazz Club in Boston reopens with Kenny Garrett. I'll be there in the front row. :)