mikeweil

What live music are you going to see tonight?

5,836 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bresna said:

It's been a year and a half, but Friday night, Scullers Jazz Club in Boston reopens with Kenny Garrett. I'll be there in the front row. :)

That should be a good one - his latest album sounds strong. Coming up at Scott’s in London soon too.

Saw Xhosa Cole rising young tenor star on Monday night playing a lot of Lockjaw Davis and Johnny Griffin tunes with Alex Hutchinson also on tenor at Jazz at the Oxford, Kentish Town. Classic room above a pub venue, unamplified, great sound.

Anyone London types going to Simon Spillett big band at the 100 club Wednesday doing Tubby Hayes arrangements?

Anthony

London

32 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Anyone London types going to Simon Spillett big band at the 100 club Wednesday doing Tubby Hayes arrangements?

Anthony

London

Alas no (and not a ‘London type’) but I’m hoping that their deferred Swanage Fest slot is rescheduled for 2022. That should be a blast ! Even better if they make it West of Heathrow even sooner.

Edited by sidewinder

Not tonight but last Sunday I saw Bill Frisell play Vredenburg/Tivoli in Utrecht.

That was somewhat of a coincidence. That morning I went through a stack of 2nd hand cd's that I had recently bought and decided to give his 'Disfarmer' its second spin. Listening to the music, still enjoying my morning coffee, I got curious what Bill was up to and when I checked online I found out he was scheduled to play in nearby Utrecht to end a brief European tour that evening. As there were still a few tickets available I jumped at the opportunity.

I've been to several of his concerts over the past 30 years or so and my tastes have drifted in a slightly different direction but it took him and his band exactly 2 seconds to spellbind me. The interplay, dynamics, the seamless way in which one tune morphed into the next, it was absolutely breathtaking.

Edited by Mark13

On 15/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, sidewinder said:

Alas no (and not a ‘London type’) but I’m hoping that their deferred Swanage Fest slot is rescheduled for 2022. That should be a blast ! Even better if they make it West of Heathrow even sooner.

I suspect it is quite a task assembling a big band so I hope the Swanage festival thing comes off. Having now had my Booster jab I may risk the subterranean pit that is the 100 club.

Anthony

London

11 hours ago, medjuck said:

Charles Lloyd.

How was it, which band?

At Lobrero Theatre? I watched a stream from there during lockdown, looks a lovely venue. He seems to regard it as his home venue.

I have tickets for his London performance in a month, just need to resolve some health issues and I'll be there. Can't miss a visit from Charles

13 hours ago, adh1907 said:

I suspect it is quite a task assembling a big band so I hope the Swanage festival thing comes off. Having now had my Booster jab I may risk the subterranean pit that is the 100 club.

Anthony

London

I haven't had a booster, another 6 weeks, so I'm not risking it, sadly.

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How was it, which band?

At Lobrero Theatre? I watched a stream from there during lockdown, looks a lovely venue. He seems to regard it as his home venue.

I bought tickets about 2 years ago for a concert with the Marvels.  Cancelled for covid but rescheduled with Gerald Clayton, Reuben Rogers and Justin Brown.   (It's ok, I've seen him with the Marvels, including Lucinda Williams,  a couple of times.) 

I first heard him when Kieth Jarrett was still with him so that must have been nearly 50 years ago.  Then didn't see him until I moved to Santa Barbara.  i think I've seen him here 5 times in the last 20 years. 

Charles is 83, stood for the whole 2 hour with no intermission concert and danced a lot in a manner reminiscent of Monk-- including throwing his right elbow up as Monk did IIRC.

Began with Dirge and then spoke about the passings of George Wein, Phil Schaap and Mikis Theodorakis.   (He explained he usually didn't speak much at concerts but felt it was ok since he considered The Lobero his living room. )

I've never heard him sound better and I was very impressed by the rest of the group. 

7 hours ago, medjuck said:

I bought tickets about 2 years ago for a concert with the Marvels.  Cancelled for covid but rescheduled with Gerald Clayton, Reuben Rogers and Justin Brown.   (It's ok, I've seen him with the Marvels, including Lucinda Williams,  a couple of times.) 

I first heard him when Kieth Jarrett was still with him so that must have been nearly 50 years ago.  Then didn't see him until I moved to Santa Barbara.  i think I've seen him here 5 times in the last 20 years. 

Charles is 83, stood for the whole 2 hour with no intermission concert and danced a lot in a manner reminiscent of Monk-- including throwing his right elbow up as Monk did IIRC.

Began with Dirge and then spoke about the passings of George Wein, Phil Schaap and Mikis Theodorakis.   (He explained he usually didn't speak much at concerts but felt it was ok since he considered The Lobero his living room. )

I've never heard him sound better and I was very impressed by the rest of the group. 

Thanks for the report, sounds great. I love his "dancing", he did a fair amount of that at Ronnie's the last time he was here. I haven't heard the band with Brown so I'll look forward to that if he comes over 

I envy you seeing the Marvel's with Lucinda, a lot!

Thursday: the revamped SFJAZZ Collective. They're recording all weekend for their next release in the Spring.

Chris Potter, tenor saxophone
David Sánchez, tenor saxophone
Etienne Charles, trumpet
Warren Wolf, vibraphone
Edward Simon, piano
Matt Brewer, bass
Kendrick Scot, drums
Martin Luther McCoy, vocals/guitar
Gretchen Parlato, vocals

On 16/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, adh1907 said:

Anthony

London

The Simon Spillett big band at the 100 club playing Tubby Hayes a week ago was amazing. The 100 club is a long narrow basement room and I mistakenly chose the side of the room in front of the trumpet section for my seat. Once the band kicked off with ‘Dear Johnny B’ I immediately lost the upper range of my hearing. It was loud! I moved towards the saxophone section and it sounded much more balanced for me. Top notch musicians and extremely lively performance. Simon was in his element and on top form. Unforgettable, I hope the band is recorded live at some point.

Anthony

London

Sounds great ! Good to hear that Simon S. is back in live tenor action.

Last night at Windmills in The Colony, Jackie Venson. A somewhat annoying venue with good sound. Great guitar playing abounded.

Last night Phil Lesh & Friends at Capital Theatre in Port Chester, NY

2 great sets - 2 hours & 45 minutes of music. Very emotional to be back seeing Phil live in person. He will be 82 on 3/15/2022. He’s playing very well and the group with him (10/29, 10/30 & tonight) is wonderful. Great singers and guitarists complimenting the legend. Especially his son Grahame and the 2 featured singers Nicki Blum & M. T. Taylor. Nicki singing lead on the encore  “Brokedown Palace” was spectacular. Then again with the Hunter/Garcia songbook it’s hard to go wrong. As usual Phil played many of the great Dead classics that Jerry sang. Deal, Bird Song, Uncle John’s Band, Eyes of the World, Dupree’s Diamond Blues & Shakedown Street were all played last night.

Don Was has followed through with my instructions, and is doing a huge Lou bday salute Nov 2 ar Dizzys Lincoln Center.  If you are in the area and have money and the will to do stuff, this looks like a good bet

Matthew Halsall at the Barbican last night, part of the London jazz festival. Never seen him before but he seems to be very popular. The massive venue looked to be full (hardly anyone masked!).  He managed to get possibly the best sound I have heard at this hall. To me  the tunes sounded a bit samey after a while (I think the harp and congas tended to add a similar flavour to everything ) but there were a few stand out tunes ( generally at the start and end of both sets). Looking forward to Yazz Ahmed later this month.

Anthony

London. 

Not "music", but I saw a sit-down interview with Ravi Coltrane at SFJAZZ last night. Very interesting, including a lot of discussion about his mother and life as a teenager in the San Fernando Valley.

Wayne Escoffrey at Scullers in Boston. Even vaccinated, this still feels weird given the large number of new cases around here. At least Scullers is requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test prior to entry, so there is that.

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Wayne Escoffrey at Scullers in Boston. Even vaccinated, this still feels weird given the large number of new cases around here. At least Scullers is requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test prior to entry, so there is that.

I was planning on a gig yesterday but my booster is still a couple of weeks off and decided to play it safe. Shame, as it was Kate and Mike Westbrook.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I was planning on a gig yesterday but my booster is still a couple of weeks off and decided to play it safe. Shame, as it was Kate and Mike Westbrook.

That's a tough one to miss but better to be safe ...etc

18 hours ago, medjuck said:

That's a tough one to miss but better to be safe ...etc

Indeed.