What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday i saw The Rolling Stones at the Johan Cruyff arena (Amsterdam)

The show started with a In Memoriam for Charlie Watts

A good mix of very well known and lesser known songs (by me not a rocker). Highlight of the concert: a long version of Miss You.

The was also a short lookback to their first gig in the Netherland at the Kurhaus (their first outside the UK) wich lasted 15 min. and let to vandalism

Rolling Stones - Kurhaus Scheveningen, The Netherlands 1964 - YouTube .

Last Thursday, Tom McDermott, solo piano, at 3 Muses on Frenchman Street in New Orleans. Followed by Delfeayo Marsalis Sextet at Snug Harbor, with the groove master Herlin Riley on drums, tenor saxophonist Rod Paulin, and Jesse McBride on piano.

Last Friday, Will Smith at Preservation Hall (a mistake, leader was not good), followed by Jason Marsalis (vibes) Quartet, featuring Oscar Rossignoli on piano, and a tribute to Lionel Hampton, at Snug Harbor.

On Saturday, the excellent drummer Joe Lastie was the leader of a much better version of the Preservation Hall All Stars at Preservation Hall.

Edited by kh1958

I caught Simon Spillett leading his Tubby Hayes Tribute Big Band last night. Original Tubby arrangements played with precision and power, sounding at least as good as the real thing !

Earlier in the day Trevor Watts ‘Eternal Triangle’ and Henry Lowther’s Group, amongst other things. The Watts group performance was superb !

Similar goodies on Saturday including Yazz Ahmed’s Quintet and Mike & Kate Westbrook with Chris Biscoe.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Sounds great!

For one reason or another all my jazz venues round here (and there were about 8) seem to have collapsed during the pandemic.

Bill - Simon and the Tubby Hayes Tribute Big Band were actually playing a festival in Wigan a week ago !  They are not to be missed, when you get the chance. Appearing in Scarborough in August I think. They kicked off the first half with a really storming ‘Dear Johnny B’.

It was good to be attending live music without the recent restrictions again (although I missed Greg Abate due to the clash with Yazz Ahmed’s set and only caught 20 mins of an excellent sounding Alan Barnes Octet).

Edited by sidewinder

31 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Bill - Simon and the Tubby Hayes Tribute Big Band were actually playing a festival in Wigan a week ago !  They are not to be missed, when you get the chance. Appearing in Scarborough in August I think. They kicked off the first half with a really storming ‘Dear Johnny B’.

It was good to be attending live music without the recent restrictions again (although I missed Greg Abate due to the clash with Yazz Ahmed’s set and only caught 20 mins of an excellent sounding Alan Barnes Octet).

I saw a Tubby Hayes Tribute Big Band about 8 years ago and, yes, they were very good indeed. Peter King and Alan Skidmore burnt the place up!

Wigan jazz activity is hard to locate now. They don't seem to have a home anymore and tend to pop up without warning in obscure rural spots.:(

The two venues where I used to see Greg are no longer operating either, so if he's been here this season, I've missed him.

There’s a review of the Simon Spillett Tubby Hayes Big Band Tribute at Wigan posted on London Jazz News. Details here - https://londonjazznews.com/2022/07/14/the-simon-spillett-big-band-celebrates-tubby-hayes-2022-wigan-jazz-festival/

Quite a number of lineup differences so I guess they have a ‘Southern’ and ‘Northern’ crew to save on petrol costs ! Mayne, Long and Barnes were in the saxes in both lineups.

As at Wigan, they did play Harry South’s ‘The Scandinavian’.

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Tony Malaby, Ben Monder & Tom Rainey

fired up

Fwiw it was the best show I’ve seen since Summer 2018. Astounding. Second set was a whole other level of intensity. Malaby playing at an extraordinary high level. Soprano great but his tenor playing is over the top. Rainey explosive and so imaginative as always. Monder is a unicorn. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

The 2 CD set on Tao Forms is excellent.

The concert was a "celebration" of that release. Michael Bisio (event was held in his apartment complex) has been featured in so many recent recordings that it's difficult to keep up... 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, at the Kitchen Cafe, Shelley Carrol, Fred Sanders, Johnathan Fisher, Quincy Davis.

Probably the nicest listening room in the city, Shelley sounded great. They played compositions by Ellington, Arnett Cobb, Don Wilkerson, Eddie Cleanhead Venson, Body and Soul, Love Theme from Apache (recorded by Coleman Hawkins on Impulse). I enjoyed the sets immensely.

Edited by kh1958