What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Tuesday night--Lonnie Smith at the Jazz Standard. They didn't get too warmed up until the second set, but by the end they sure were. The crowd was embarrassingly sparse, especially for the second set.

You have to keep in mind that Lonnie plays quite a lot in the city... and it was Tuesday night. I'm seeing him tomorrow night and will report back.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be off to check out the local open mike/classic rock night down the street in a few. Let's see what kinds of train wrecks they have today...

The house band was ok, I left when some dork started playing Billy Joel on the piano in the dining room. If they want people to drink, they're doing the right thing...

Tuesday night--Lonnie Smith at the Jazz Standard. They didn't get too warmed up until the second set, but by the end they sure were. The crowd was embarrassingly sparse, especially for the second set.

Wow....NYC...them's some spoiled jazz audiences! I'd kill to see a couple sets of Lonnie on a tuesday night.

Yes, me too. The Jazz Standard has excellent sound, and was only a three block walk from my hotel. Peter Bernstein on guitar. The last song of the second set was Back Track from Too Damn Hot--it was unbelievable.

Friday, June 1

Rudresh Mahanthappa Quartet performs "Codebook"

with

Rudresh Mahanthappa, alto saxophone

Vijay Iyer, piano

François Moutin, double-bass

Dan Weiss, drums

+ F.A.B. Trio

with

Billy Bang, violin

Joe Fonda, double-bass

Barry Altschul, drums

Great show last night - amazing sets by both bands. F.A.B. Trio turned out to be a duo. Billy Bang was a "no show" Barry made an announcement that they,"had been trying to get intouch w/ him all day," and "wondered if he was okay." :unsure: So eventhough Rudresh was the headliner he opened up the showed and played the complete "Codebook". Then Barry came out and did a 15 minute solo improv followed by a 15 solo improv by Joe Fonda. At the end of Joe's piece Barry came on stage and played w/ him for another 10 minutes or so. Rudresh joined them and they played another long improvised piece. When life hands you a lemon make lemonade ;)

F.A.B. Trio are booked for a show tonight in Baltimore. Billy is supposed to start a tour w/ Kahil El'Zabar

on Monday in Chicago. I hope he's okay and just forgot about last night.....

Friday, June 1

with

Vijay Iyer, piano

Dan Weiss, drums

+ F.A.B. Trio

with

Billy Bang, violin

Joe Fonda, double-bass

Barry Altschul, drums

Great show last night - amazing sets by both bands. F.A.B. Trio turned out to be a duo. Billy Bang was a "no show" Barry made an announcement that they,"had been trying to get intouch w/ him all day," and "wondered if he was okay." :unsure: So eventhough Rudresh was the headliner he opened up the showed and played the complete "Codebook". Then Barry came out and did a 15 minute solo improv followed by a 15 solo improv by Joe Fonda. At the end of Joe's piece Barry came on stage and played w/ him for another 10 minutes or so. Rudresh joined them and they played another long improvised piece. When life hands you a lemon make lemonade ;)

F.A.B. Trio are booked for a show tonight in Baltimore. Billy is supposed to start a tour w/ Kahil El'Zabar

He was a little late, but he made it for his gig in Baltimore and looked to be in good shape. Good show.

Friday, June 1

with

Vijay Iyer, piano

Dan Weiss, drums

+ F.A.B. Trio

with

Billy Bang, violin

Joe Fonda, double-bass

Barry Altschul, drums

He was a little late, but he made it for his gig in Baltimore and looked to be in good shape. Good show.

Glad to hear he's okay and that it was a good show. :tup

I saw Pat Martino at Blues Alley in Washington, DC on Friday night. He mostly played material associated with Wes Montgomery as heard on his recent Blue Note album "Remember: A Tribute to Wes Montgomery," including a rousing version of "Four on Six".

I think the keyboard player (Fender Rhodes and piano) was David Kikoski (he played on the CD) but I'm not entirely sure.

On a related note, I went to the same club to hear Robert Glasper on Thursday, but the show was cancelled as Glasper didn't appear! Some in the audience said the gig was not listed on his website and that he may not have known about it. The club management just said that RG's manager didn't know where he was and no one else did either.

I saw Steely Dan at Wolf Trap in Virginia last night. Part of their "Heavy Rollers" Tour.

The opening act was the Sam Yahel Organ Trio with Peter Bernstein (guitar) and Gregory Hutchinson (drums). Great stuff. Reminded me a lot at times of Larry Young/Grant Green/Elvin Jones. Although I heard Yahel with Joshua Redman, I think he mainly played Fender Rhodes at that show, so this was a chance to hear him play Hammond B-3 excusively. They played for about half an hour. After their set, Sam Yahel signed CDs and autographs (he is promoting a new trio album coming out soon) and I got to meet him and talk to him a little. Although some people talked and others didn't even show up until after the opening act, there was an appreciate percent of the audience that was into it, I'm happy to report.

Steely Dan came on with a large group they called the Steely Dan Orchestra. "Hey Kids!" said Fagan.

The group included:

Fagan on Fender Rhodes and melodica,

Becker on guitar, with:

a four piece horn section (two saxes, trumpet and trombone),

a lead guitarist,

an electric bass,

a clavinet player,

a drummer

and two back-up vocalists.

The set list was the following:

Time Out of Mind

Bad Sneakers

Two Against Nature

Janie Runaway

Hey 19

Haitian Divorce (sung by Walter Becker, who also did little raps with jokes during some of the other songs)

Peg

Babylon Sisters

Bodhisattva

Dirty Work (sung by the back up singers)

When Josie Comes Home

Aja

FM

Kid Charlemagne

Encore:

Pretzel Logic

My Old School

Edited by HWright

McCoy Tyner Septet at CSO. I think it should be a good show.

It was an awesome show. I wonder if anyone else made it. I have to admit, I wasn't that crazy about his solo show about 3 years back, but this was a septet with Eric Alexander, Wallace Roney, Donald Harrison, Steve Turre, Eric Gravatt, and Charnett Moffett. The concert was loosely based around Tyner's Impulse compilation. They played quasi-standards, including several Coltrane pieces. I am almost certain they played Giant Steps and Impressions (though maybe it was Cousin Mary) and probably one other Coltrane piece that I can't name right now. And one of Tyner's originals called Blues on the Corner ?, as well as an uptempo piece from one of Tyner's live albums. I'm almost sure it was Enlightenment, but I can't check right now. It has a great repeating bass line though. For the most part, Tyner was pounding the keys (and had to have the piano retuned during intermission) but trying a few new things. It was sort of slanting the melody, playing a bit more angular and changing the tempo a bit, playing against the drummer and moving the melody ahead or behind the beat. Anyway, I definitely enjoyed it, and I imagine there will be a formal review, so I can find out exactly what was played later.

He was looking pretty good overall. I saw Dave Brubeck the week before and he didn't look nearly as good, even compared with two years ago. He put on a good but not great show. Most of the time, I was thinking of the movie Going in Style, as three of the four in the quartet look like they might drop off at any time.

Last night: Healdsburg Jazz Festival

The Cookers - Eddie Henderson, Billy Harper, Craig Handy, David Weiss, George Cables, Cecil McBee, and Billy Hart.

This show was awesome. The band was "on", the audience was "on" - a great time had by all.

Healdsburg is a sleepy, little Northern California town in Sonoma's wine country about 90 minutes from San Francisco. So, I never thought I would be saying this, but this audience was 100 times more engaged in the music than the comatose crowd at the Joe Lovano/Hank Jones show I saw a couple of weeks ago at Dizzy's Lincoln Center, NYC. Amazing.

You could tell from the beginning of the set with Billy Hart's drums punctuating the music that we were in for great show. They didn't disappoint. The group played tunes by Billy Harper (2), George Cables, Cecil McBee and Freddie Hubbard. Their encore was a recognizable bop tune which I couldn't place (probably a Hubbard or Lee Morgan piece). The thing that became immediately apparent was that even though the horn players were the attraction (and well-worth it!), the rhythm section (Cables, McBee, Hart) was world-class all by itself. I would pay $$ to see that trio alone.

So....thanks to the David Weiss for putting this supergroup together. It doesn't get much better.

Somehow I've managed to miss seeing Hart over all these years and didn't know what I've been missing. He really opened my eyes and was certainly key in this format. Constantly pushing and prodding the soloists, he was tireless and one of the most creative drummers I've ever seen. If he brings his quartet out West, I'll definitely have to check them out.

Last night: Healdsburg Jazz Festival

The Cookers - Eddie Henderson, Billy Harper, Craig Handy, David Weiss, George Cables, Cecil McBee, and Billy Hart.

This show was awesome. The band was "on", the audience was "on" - a great time had by all.

Healdsburg is a sleepy, little Northern California town in Sonoma's wine country about 90 minutes from San Francisco. So, I never thought I would be saying this, but this audience was 100 times more engaged in the music than the comatose crowd at the Joe Lovano/Hank Jones show I saw a couple of weeks ago at Dizzy's Lincoln Center, NYC. Amazing.

You could tell from the beginning of the set with Billy Hart's drums punctuating the music that we were in for great show. They didn't disappoint. The group played tunes by Billy Harper (2), George Cables, Cecil McBee and Freddie Hubbard. Their encore was a recognizable bop tune which I couldn't place (probably a Hubbard or Lee Morgan piece). The thing that became immediately apparent was that even though the horn players were the attraction (and well-worth it!), the rhythm section (Cables, McBee, Hart) was world-class all by itself. I would pay $$ to see that trio alone.

So....thanks to the David Weiss for putting this supergroup together. It doesn't get much better.

Somehow I've managed to miss seeing Hart over all these years and didn't know what I've been missing. He really opened my eyes and was certainly key in this format. Constantly pushing and prodding the soloists, he was tireless and one of the most creative drummers I've ever seen. If he brings his quartet out West, I'll definitely have to check them out.

..we'll be seeing a slightly different version of this band in Chicago...including Jeremy Pelt and Jimmy Spaulding....cannot wait!!!

m~